Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Black Friday?

What's Hot
DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3758
edited November 2017 in Guitar
I've only been back playing guitar since the start of this year, so have never seen what 'Black Friday' is like with music gear retailers.

In previous years have the major gear retailers (GG, PMT, Andertons) taken part in the Black Friday frenzy that other retail sectors do? And if so, is there ever much decent stuff available or is it mostly just trying to shift a bunch of naff, unwanted stock that they couldn't sell anywhere near RRP?

Still mulling over options for buying a new amp, but wondering whether I should hold out for a couple of weeks and see if I can grab a bargain...  s
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I believe Andertons have a 'take a chance' deal whereby if you buy something from them in November and it then comes up on their Black Friday deals, they'll refund you the difference.
  • There are usually some decent deals on pedals and the like, I've not seen as many deals on amps or guitars - though to be fair I haven't really been looking.

i have a small war chest waiting for specific pedals on Black Friday weekend this year...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I find it all a little bit racist to be honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Kebabkid said:
    I believe Andertons have a 'take a chance' deal whereby if you buy something from them in November and it then comes up on their Black Friday deals, they'll refund you the difference.
    The refund is in loyalty points though
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid said:

It's a great idea, but if you've already bought it, they already know what is selling, so they won't put it in a sale....surely?!

That is the cynical side of me again!

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Non-food sales for retail this year have been crap, I have a feeling retailers are going to go absolutely psychotic this year on Black Friday "deals week" as everyone calls it now.

Amazon will no doubt discount some Gibsons, I wouldn't be surprised to see some things that are end-of-line going for great prices.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Amazon will no doubt discount some Gibsons, I wouldn't be surprised to see some things that are end-of-line going for great prices.
    Amazon had decent deals on Gibsons last year - they were mostly the less desirable ones - but the discounts were pretty large.
  • If I were you, just don't buy any music gear (unless it is already a deal) until closer to/the period of Black Friday.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Kebabkid said:

It's a great idea, but if you've already bought it, they already know what is selling, so they won't put it in a sale....surely?!

That is the cynical side of me again!

Agreed and @siremoon has pointed out they're refunded in loyalty points - I missed that, so thanks
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Peach are doing same deal as Anderton’s so far but promising the refund in cash (ie, to whatever payment method you used). 

They usually do x% off certain brands so I imagine that’s what you’d be gambling against. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited November 2017
    So they know if they sell a lot of a certain model in this period, not to reduce it for Black Friday, so they don't have to give back any money. But they can present it as they're doing it to look out for you.

Every year companies get more and more crafty at manipulating Black Friday to make consumers think they're getting a great deal, when in fact year on year, the deals get worse and the companies are laughing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
    edited November 2017
    Its an exciting time...Andertons usually knock off up to £25 off the high end prs and gibson guitars 
    26reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have heard Guitar Guitar are doing a free set of strings with any guitar purchase....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I'll post my usual retort;

"ESP Skull and Crossbones guitar that no one in their right mind would ever buy, was £995, now £975 - grab yourself a bargain!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Got a link sounds like a great deal 

Have a wiz !
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The Andertons thing is an absolute joke in my opinion. A cash refund would be so much better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    So they know if they sell a lot of a certain model in this period, not to reduce it for Black Friday, so they don't have to give back any money. But they can present it as they're doing it to look out for you.

Every year companies get more and more crafty at manipulating Black Friday to make consumers think they're getting a great deal, when in fact year on year, the deals get worse and the companies are laughing.
    While I'd actually believe that Andertons are disingenuous enough to probably do this, I doubt Peach would. They have enough inventory of everything that if they sell a couple PRS guitars between now & then and then offer 10% off all PRS guitars they'd credit back the difference.

What I'm sensing is that retailers are getting more competitive for the customer, because they are nervous about not being the place where the wad is blown. Case in point, Anderton's just launched their "Black Friday Warmup" sale. It's mostly crap they were trying to get rid of in the summer sale at the same discounts, but they are clearly trying to be the first to drain your wallet.

Black Friday is going to be a real test of consumer confidence this year in this country... and retailers are probably damned either way - if it goes REALLY WELL that could be it for spending for a long time. If it goes poorly it will be seen as a symptom of a failing retail economy...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • All the really good deals I've had have been VST.. and a couple of pedals from the USA. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Amazon had plenty of Digitech Polara reverb pedals last year for £80.

I picked one up thanks to seeing a heads-up on here. They also had a limited number of the Obscura delay pedals for £80, but they were first offered to Prime customers and none were left after they went on general sale.
    mbe said:
    Amazon had plenty of Digitech Polara reverb pedals last year for £80.

I picked one up thanks to seeing a heads-up on here. They also had a limited number of the Obscura delay pedals for £80, but they were first offered to Prime customers and none were left after they went on general sale.
    Yeah, I got both. :) That was pretty much my only score last year (well, and a bottle of bourbon...)