Afghan Whigs

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited November 2017 in Music
They were a tidy outfit back in the day, definitely one of the better bands from that era .. I wonder which two did jail time together?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I saw them this year -- obviously not quite the same band as the 90s, but they sounded absolutely huge and hungry still. Gregs vocals were improved by IEMs I reckon compared to the couple of times I've seen him with Twilight Singers in the same venue. Last album is really good - fav tracks might be Toy Automatic & Into the Floor, in fact there isn't really a bad track on it.

Can't think of the artists name, but there's an americana-ish album thats done okay this year that has a cover of What Jail is Like on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    Apparently the track above was intended to be somewhere between the Jackson 5 and Twin Peaks! Some interesting guitar rhythms going on there.

• One of my personal top 5 bands. The Gentlemen album was my soundtrack for a pretty rough year and the one time I've seen them live (so far) was an amazing show. Obviously they're a different beast than what they were in the 90's but the last album is really, really good and Gregg Dulli is still a fantastic songwriter and band leader.

Premier Guitar recently did their rig rundown - 

And RIP Dave Rosser.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568

And RIP Dave Rosser.
    It's pretty moving to hear Greg say 'tonight, and every night for the rest of our lives, we celebrate the life of David Rosser'

I saw Twilight Singers with Rosser playing a couple of times - some great whammy feedback as I recall. Prefer the original guitarist though - he made out of tune slide sound so good
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    Gregg Dulli is still a fantastic songwriter and band leader.
    I noticed in the video how he was giving visual cues to the other band members.