Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands You Don't Like

What's Hot

Comments

• It's like... IMO, if UK rock churns out bands like The Darkness, I don't want to be associated with The Darkness.
    We got that... 

Band? This whole thread has been a stream of consciousness about one band...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited November 2017
    To me, they tried too hard to be something they weren't and their sin was branding themselves as Guns N' Roses and Appetite, is offensive when you see Pinewood Smile as a lame attempt of What's The Story Morning Glory which Rocks, about an erection basically... Which, to me, stinks of Geeky and not having a girlfriend, opposed to Appetite, IMO.
    If The Darkness just didn't call themselves the next Guns N' Roses, but they did because they're more like the Kanye West of Rock.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    If you were old enough to be a rock fan in the 70s you might well have seen the arrival of GnR as a lame, retro pastiche of better things which had gone before, I know I certainly did. 

At least The Darkness did it with a sense of irony. 

Ultimately both bands dress up in silly clothes and make lightweight, occasionally hilarious dad-rock, but only one of them actually knows it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 28reaction image Wisdom
  • Wiz! 

...I'm still waiting to get to the next band ...I think this list of one band is a bit dull

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    p90fool said:
    If you were old enough to be a rock fan in the 70s you might well have seen the arrival of GnR as a lame, retro pastiche of better things which had gone before, I know I certainly did. 

At least The Darkness did it with a sense of irony. 

Ultimately both bands dress up in silly clothes and make lightweight, occasionally hilarious dad-rock, but only one of them actually knows it. 
    In Internet parlance, this is what is known as a "good post".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited November 2017
    Wiz! 

...I'm still waiting to get to the next band ...I think this list of one band is a bit dull
    I'm still wondering how much I like Royal Blood compared to what I hate about bands today, but this thread is for all of us.
    If you don't like a band or artist, just share why you don't like them.
  • Coldplay.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I find them incredibly dull and bland.  The music has no excitement and they are pretty much the soundtrack that white, middle aged, middle class suburban women would listen to when they're getting ready to go to a wine bar.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Coldplay huh? This is why:

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Is it true that Slash worked as a fluffer for Justin Hawkins early in his career? I'm sure I heard that once
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok... U2. 

I just find them very much vanilla and that spunk trumpet front man needs to get his head out of his arse. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Alter Bridge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    Rush

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    The Darkness have their tongues firmly in their cheeks.

I don't even want to think where GnR have had their tongues. As I've said before, they are a semi-competent bar band with a singer that sounds like a cat being tortured and if their stuff had been released twenty years earlier they would, at best, have been a footnote in the history of rock music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Well done those trying to name bands they don't like.

But come on, this is supposed to be a thread about The Darkness being really shit.  Especially in comparison with Guns N' Roses who are, like, really not shit.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Well done those trying to name bands they don't like.

But come on, this is supposed to be a thread about The Darkness being really shit.  Especially in comparison with Guns N' Roses who are, like, really not shit.
    Shhh...don't Err... Re rail it! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11671
    When I was younger I used to love and like bands, hate bands, have complex reasons for both.  Ideology of music etc. actually took it seriously enough it probably cost me some friends at times.

Then I grew up and found caring too much about that sort of thing counter-productive, I've got a lot else going on now.  The positive side is the best thing about music, the negative side is just another reason for people to be shitty to each other and there is too much of that.

If a song or band makes you happy or brings a smile to your face, well great it's entertained you, fair enough, even if I think it's shite.  However if something has inspired you to pick up an instrument, got you through a tough time or touched your soul, I'd positively be an asshole if I argued with that.

Back on-topic though ;), GNR did a stunning first album then a load of coked up nonsense that sometimes was great (November Rain, You Could Be Mine) and sometimes atrocious (Civil War, the horrible, horrible covers) but that is just IMHO.  The Darkness on the other hand seemed at the time and still to be a fun, light-hearted take on the classic rock sound, and surprisingly great musicians on top of that.  That little harmonic on the end of the riff of "I Believe In a thing Called Love" is a little bit of genius.

Taking two bands from such massively different approaches and basically saying "GNR were better", well yes, they were, but they were equally as much of a joke when they disappeared up their own asses!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • When I was younger I used to love and like bands, hate bands, have complex reasons for both.  Ideology of music etc. actually took it seriously enough it probably cost me some friends at times.

Then I grew up and found caring too much about that sort of thing counter-productive, I've got a lot else going on now.  The positive side is the best thing about music, the negative side is just another reason for people to be shitty to each other and there is too much of that.

If a song or band makes you happy or brings a smile to your face, well great it's entertained you, fair enough, even if I think it's shite.  However if something has inspired you to pick up an instrument, got you through a tough time or touched your soul, I'd positively be an asshole if I argued with that.

Back on-topic though ;), GNR did a stunning first album then a load of coked up nonsense that sometimes was great (November Rain, You Could Be Mine) and sometimes atrocious (Civil War, the horrible, horrible covers) but that is just IMHO.  The Darkness on the other hand seemed at the time and still to be a fun, light-hearted take on the classic rock sound, and surprisingly great musicians on top of that.  That little harmonic on the end of the riff of "I Believe In a thing Called Love" is a little bit of genius.

Taking two bands from such massively different approaches and basically saying "GNR were better", well yes, they were, but they were equally as much of a joke when they disappeared up their own asses!
    I think bands like The Darkness and Steel Panther are great because they are obviously just having fun and they don't really care what people think.