Intonation question

What's Hot
If I'm getting notes on one string going massively sharp at the low frets, 1-about 5 but ok at the 12th... My problem is a nut groove that's too high? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    edited November 2017
    A statement as a question?

likely a high nut, unless the nut is not high.  Then it’s a check on nut position
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    put a capo on the first fret, and check the 13th. If all OK, your nut is dodgy
  • Almost certainly a high nut. With a capo at the third fret, it should be possible to very lightly tap each string on to the first fret - in other words - there should be hardly any clearance.

The only other possibility is that the nut is in the wrong place - very unlikely on a reasonable quality, factory-made guitar.
  • Almost certainly a high nut. With a capo at the third fret, it should be possible to very lightly tap each string on to the first fret - in other words - there should be hardly any clearance.

The only other possibility is that the nut is in the wrong place - very unlikely on a reasonable quality, factory-made guitar.
    It's my 2017 Gibson Traditional. I had thought it was just the strings were too light, but to properly fret the g string at the 1st fret, you have to push it down to the point of bending

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Almost certainly a high nut. With a capo at the third fret, it should be possible to very lightly tap each string on to the first fret - in other words - there should be hardly any clearance.

It's my 2017 Gibson Traditional. I had thought it was just the strings were too light, but to properly fret the g string at the 1st fret, you have to push it down to the point of bending
    That is def a high nut slot.

• Ok...related question. On a brand new guitar bought from a proper shop...should I expect them to deal with it or should I be taking it somewhere else? 

Ok...related question. On a brand new guitar bought from a proper shop...should I expect them to deal with it or should I be taking it somewhere else? 
    Unless you want to learn yourself, get a pro to do it. 

Closest person I know to you who I would trust with any job is @SteveRobinson over Manchester way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok...related question. On a brand new guitar bought from a proper shop...should I expect them to deal with it or should I be taking it somewhere else? 

Closest person I know to you who I would trust with any job is @SteveRobinson over Manchester way. 
    Thanks. That's not far from me. I'll drop Steve a pm 

Ok...related question. On a brand new guitar bought from a proper shop...should I expect them to deal with it or should I be taking it somewhere else? 

Thanks. That's not far from me. I'll drop Steve a pm 
    Well worth getting him to do a setup - you'll want him to do all your guitars ;)

• Or learn how to do it yourself (especially if you have several guitars).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    In theory the shop should do it, for free. But having seen the work done by several techs working for large retailers, I would say that if it's an expensive guitar you really care about being right, I would rather pay someone known to be an expert.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I'm happy to try most things, because they can be undone by someone more qualified if I fuck it up. Hacking away at my not very cheap Les Paul without prior experience or the correct tools I draw the line at. If it was one of my cheaper guitars I'd buy some files and have a go...

Or learn how to do it yourself (especially if you have several guitars).
    I'm happy to try most things, because they can be undone by someone more qualified if I fuck it up. Hacking away at my not very cheap Les Paul without prior experience or the correct tools I draw the line at. If it was one of my cheaper guitars I'd buy some files and have a go...
    I'd ask steve to do a fret dress as well - you will be amazed at the difference....
    I'd ask steve to do a fret dress as well - you will be amazed at the difference....
    The frets are bound Mark, and seem spot on to me. 

Or learn how to do it yourself (especially if you have several guitars).
    The frets are bound Mark, and seem spot on to me. 
    Worth a check, just in case tho ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited November 2017
    WezV said:

What's so bad about that. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    viz said:
    WezV said:

What's so bad about that. 
    Nothing really, it just messes with my brain.
  • Many thanks to @SteveRobinson who sorted me out tonight. Bit of a nut file and needed a saddle turned. Very nice sir!

Many thanks to @SteveRobinson who sorted me out tonight. Bit of a nut file and needed a saddle turned. Very nice sir!
    Steve is the best!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    Many thanks to @SteveRobinson who sorted me out tonight. Bit of a nut file and needed a saddle turned. Very nice sir!
    Steve is the best!
    Well I haven't tried everyone, but he's certainly a nice guy that really knows his onions! Very reasonable too