through body bridge for p-bass

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I'm looking for a through body bridge for a p-bass, The "bad ass III" seems to be "the one" to go for, however I can't find any details on what's happend to these bridges, they seem to no longer exist, but I can't find any details showing the company no longer existing.

Where can I get a quality through body bridge for a P bass ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Have a look at the Hipshot B styles - they do a string through variant and it's solid and good quality..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The current Fender USA Standard/Deluxe bridge also accepts through-body stringing.

In fact, given that it's only held down by three screws I probably wouldn't want to top-load it anyway, even though it has string holes for doing that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited November 2017
    ICBM said:
    The current Fender USA Standard/Deluxe bridge also accepts through-body stringing.

In fact, given that it's only held down by three screws I probably wouldn't want to top-load it anyway, even though it has string holes for doing that...

It's fine.  In fact I really like it.

I tune my basses down to C#/Drop B, and I string the low string, a .130 as I primarily use it as a B, through the body.  The rest of them go top loaded... preferred the feel that way.  The low string being strung through body gave a slightly tighter playing feel, which it needs IMO to match the other strings.  If I wasn't drop tuning I honestly prefer the feel of the bridge top loaded like for like with the same strings
    guitarfishbay said:

It's fine.  In fact I really like it.

I tune my basses down to C#/Drop B, and I string the low string, a .130 as I primarily use it as a B, through the body.  The rest of them go top loaded... preferred the feel that way.  The low string being strung through body gave a slightly tighter playing feel, which it needs IMO to match the other strings.  If I wasn't drop tuning I honestly prefer the feel of the bridge top loaded like for like with the same strings
    Yes, but in that case you're putting a lot less tension on the bridge - both because only three strings are held by it, and I would guess the string tension is lower even with heavier gauges since you're tuned down.

I would be a bit concerned about trying it with a 45-105 set at concert pitch - that's a total of 175lbs of tension according to D'Addario's chart, or almost 60lbs on each of the three screws.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited November 2017
    My set comes out at 140.53 lb in the tuning I use according to stringtensionpro.com, but it’s a stainless steel set and Daddario Pro Steels feel less stiff than their nickel sets.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
     The link below is a bridge that I used several times, it's almost an exact copy of the Gotoh through body by bridge that is no longer available. The only issue I've had with it is too cheap, that may sound very odd, but when I'm building a bass that could cost up to £2000, showing a customer a bridge cost under 20 quid seems to be a total no no. But I have used it and it really is good.

I wouldn't worry about bass bridge that only held down by 3 or 4 screws, never had a bridge fail yet in all the years I've been building basses.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARD-TAIL-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-UNIVERSAL-STRINGS-THROUGH-BRIDGE-OR-BODY-CH-BK-GD/190687139949?hash=item2c65d6d86d:m:mX3tLeyyteutWdS2ZaqM8UA

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
     The link below is a bridge that I used several times, it's almost an exact copy of the Gotoh through body by bridge that is no longer available. The only issue I've had with it is too cheap, that may sound very odd, but when I'm building a bass that could cost up to £2000, showing a customer a bridge cost under 20 quid seems to be a total no no. But I have used it and it really is good.
    I agree, that's an excellent bridge. The only thing against it is that the plating looks a little cheap, but it works fine.

GSPBASSES said:

I wouldn't worry about bass bridge that only held down by 3 or 4 screws, never had a bridge fail yet in all the years I've been building basses.
    I've seen a couple of older Fenders with snapped screws or the bridge lifting at the back because the screws have started to pull out of the wood, but rust becomes a factor when they're old, and the wood can become soft too.

I'd be happy to trust three screws if they were a bit bigger diameter and had deeper threads so they bite the wood better - the Fender ones are just a bit flimsy, for me… five of them is OK, but three is pushing it.

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I check my stock to see if I had a through body stringing bass bridge, to my surprise, I didn't have any left. I then decided to order a couple of the ones that I gave you the link too. They turned up today and they seem to have improved the quality of the bridge considerably from the last once I purchased a few years ago. I would now say the build quality is equal to a Gotoh equivalent that cost well over twice as much. It wouldn't surprise me if this bridge is actually made by Gotoh is just about identical.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• That is an interesting bridge - are the 5 mounting holes compatible with a standard Fender vintage-style bridge?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The non-Gotoh 201B is turning up regularly on Chinese and Indonesian-built budget basses.

IMHO, it is a naughty copy. It weighs slightly less than the original Japanese item. The mounting screw positions are identical (i.e. to Fender spec.) but the actual screws tend to be larger and of lower quality steel.
    Be seeing you.