Beginner Player Recordings - I'll show you mine if you show me ours.

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86 said:
    Learned a new solo and had some fun messing about with the drummer in Logic

Just a rough eleven one take thing....

Nice one! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited November 2017
    Been too busy recently to make decent recordings but here's a tiny snippet just so you know I haven't forgotten you lot, and I still watch the thread. I'm glad to see it's taken on a life of its own.

edited November 2017
    I've recently been doing a thing called "The Rock Project" where some teachers rent a space, get people together on drums, bass, guitar and vox, and teach a song with the aim of performing it together. (It's a nationwide franchise I think).

It's a bit of a mixed bag (it's neither a great lesson not a great jam, falls a bit between the stools) but it does mean I have people to play with in a full "band" setting, which is what I lacked. 

No idea yet if it has legs but it's a laff for now and keeping me busy.
    ps this is really useful if you want to write TAB or (even better) tap in notation you've found and have it converted to TAB for you: https://musescore.org/en
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    @pmbomb ;; nice to see you're still here bud! Thought you'd done a silent flounce! 

The band thing sounds interesting... Pretty similar to what I do with mates. Playing with others definitely helps. We tend to get through 6 or 7 songs per 2 hour session including repeats of one's we've previously done but had more time to practice and a couple of new ones. I reckon through that process, I can play rhythm competently on 30 ish songs now. 

Yup, certainly learning new tunes quickly. The challenge for me is quality not quantity tho, if anything there's too much. I want to do a few well, with melodic fills. (No, still here!)

I Won't Back Down is a great tune for this btw, everyone can sing along and a nice short but melodic solo. (I'm starting to appreciate Mike Campbell a lot).

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited November 2017
    I would also say that I’m learning new stuff much more quickly and getting a point where I can make a just about passable attempt at it, in a much shorter timeframe. 

My trouble is that I find this breeds a behaviour in me where I want to learn as much stuff as possible ‘because I can’ whereas I should be focussing on quality. 

So instead of 1 solo that I can nail I will end up with 5 solos that I can do a reasonable job at. I find I learn something then very quickly get bored and want to learn something new instead of finessing and refining what I’ve already learned. Then you add the rabbit hole of home recording and I can lose hours and hours in the blink of an eye! There’s just not enough hours in the day....!

But at the end of the day, I’m having fun every time I pick the guitar up, and that’s what it’s all about isn’t it?
    Yeah there's a balance. Scraping through another 3 or 4 chorder isn't really a challenge now. But producing something people might want to (voluntarily) listen to is a whole new ball game. It's very possible to be spread too thin I think, that won't make us better players.

Mates ask me if guitar is difficult and I tell them it's easy to do badly but very hard to do well.

I'm hoping my timing will improve by watching the drummer, so I play on the beat not react to it. Playing standing up is quite a leap too.
    pmbomb said:
    Yeah there's a balance. Scraping through another 3 or 4 chorder isn't really a challenge now. But producing something people might want to (voluntarily) listen to is a whole new ball game. It's very possible to be spread too thin I think, that won't make us better players.

Mates ask me if guitar is difficult and I tell them it's easy to do badly but very hard to do well.

I'm hoping my timing will improve by watching the drummer, so I play on the beat not react to it. Playing standing up is quite a leap too.
    I only play at home by myself but I imagine playing with others is doing you all sorts of good. 

Funny you mention about drumming....I recorded something last night to just a metronome and it was only when I added a drum beat that I realised how my timing was off. Re recorded to a drum beat instead and it was better. 

Small steps :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:
    pmbomb said:

I only play at home by myself but I imagine playing with others is doing you all sorts of good. 

Funny you mention about drumming....I recorded something last night to just a metronome and it was only when I added a drum beat that I realised how my timing was off. Re recorded to a drum beat instead and it was better. 

Small steps  
    For home recording and practice I've now got into the habit of using the Trio+

I teach it the chord progression for each part of the song, set the drums how I want them to sound and then sequence the song. I then use the mixer out to connect the Trio to my audio interface and hit play. This means I can lay down a drum track, and bass if desired, as the base for my recording before I add the guitar layers, keys and vocal. Works really well.

edited November 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:
    pmbomb said:

Small steps  
    For home recording and practice I've now got into the habit of using the Trio+

I teach it the chord progression for each part of the song, set the drums how I want them to sound and then sequence the song. I then use the mixer out to connect the Trio to my audio interface and hit play. This means I can lay down a drum track, and bass if desired, as the base for my recording before I add the guitar layers, keys and vocal. Works really well.
    Sounds great. I’ve been using AmpliTube in conjunction with Logic to do my recordings, Logic is a minefield for me with how little I know about audio recording but it’s fun to learn by doing  

If I want to do a video I’ve used the webcam of my MacBook and played along to audio I’ve already recorded in Logic then just try and sync them up. 
    edited December 2017
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    Still having fun trying to play stuff that's far too difficult for me  not sure why logic refused to accept the end point and included a load of empty bars!

edited February 2018
    Long time no post. My current project is You Shook Me All Night Long - here's a very ropey first cut - the main riff, chorus riff, then, sort of, the solo. (Well, at least most of the notes from the solo in roughly the right order).

Am putting it here to benchmark against as I practice more. The solo, especially the phrasing, is a stretch for me, so breaking new ground here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-595870612/you-shook-me-all-night-long-10022018-1450
    That's ace @pmbomb !
    Well that's very kind. Perhaps we should say it's a base to build from, there's a long way to go. Next step is to try and play the solo in phrases that sync with a backing track.

One thing I'm chuffed with is I learnt the solo from this vid ie by ear and eye watching him, rather than from a tab. Playing by ear is my long term goal so I hope that was time well invested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NyMEapGnc
    edited February 2018
    pmbomb said:
    Well that's very kind. Perhaps we should say it's a base to build from, there's a long way to go. Next step is to try and play the solo in phrases that sync with a backing track.

One thing I'm chuffed with is I learnt the solo from this vid ie by ear and eye watching him, rather than from a tab. Playing by ear is my long term goal so I hope that was time well invested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NyMEapGnc
    Funny you should say that, I'm actually well chuffed with myself too, as I sat and studied a YouTube video about 100 times to work out a solo rather than automatically looking for a tab. It took forever but very satisfying and will do me a lot more good than just lazily reading a tab I'm sure.

It's actually the single piece of guitar music that inspired me to pick it up in the first place a couple of years ago, so a real watershed moment to be able to play it. I'll try and get a recording up later if I can.
    Yeah I'm pretty good on the Youtube keyboard shortcuts now (back arrow rewinds 5 seconds and J goes back 10 seconds).

I think trying to learn by ear and eye is musicianship. Slavishly following a tab is just being a a bit monkey-see-monkey-do. (But it's the right way to start).

It's noticeable to me how learning happens by milestones - learning Californication last year when I was just starting was a big step, all of a sudden a tune I'd adored for 30 years was in my fingertips. Then performing to to an audience at Christmas as a before and after moment too.

I think the big difference between me now and me a year ago is I have confidence in the learning process. I now know that if I choose my battles well, be smart and persist, I will get it. A year ago it was all smoke, mirrors and mystery.

Looking forwards to your recording.
    pmbomb said:
    Yeah I'm pretty good on the Youtube keyboard shortcuts now (back arrow rewinds 5 seconds and J goes back 10 seconds).

I think trying to learn by ear and eye is musicianship. Slavishly following a tab is just being a a bit monkey-see-monkey-do. (But it's the right way to start).

It's noticeable to me how learning happens by milestones - learning Californication last year when I was just starting was a big step, all of a sudden a tune I'd adored for 30 years was in my fingertips. Then performing to to an audience at Christmas as a before and after moment too.

I think the big difference between me now and me a year ago is I have confidence in the learning process. I now know that if I choose my battles well, be smart and persist, I will get it. A year ago it was all smoke, mirrors and mystery.

Looking forwards to your recording.
    Couldn’t agree more about the confidence in the process. I used to get really frustrated when I couldn’t do something I wanted to do. Now I know that if I keep at it, it will come and you can’t rush it or force it - you just have to enjoy the journey!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    100%. I think most learning - the rewiring in the brain - is actually done asleep. & I think rushing to a goal is a mistake. Being a learner is actually a special time, to be enjoyed not hurried through. We're on the same page.

This confidence in learning - basically it's learning about learning - is one of the reasons I'd like my 6 year old daughter to carry on with piano. (She's resisting though and I won't oblige her to do it).