Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the oddest album you've got?

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
edited November 2017 in Music
… that's actually good.

Inspired by the 'music shuffle' thread since a track off this came up later.

Scarlett Johansson - yes that one! - Anywhere I Lay My Head. An album of Tom Waits covers (and one original song).

Bizarrely good. I prefer it to Tom Waits singing his own songs, in fact. [/Heresy]

NB, anything by a Star Trek actor is probably disqualified on the second count .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bought for me as a joke.. but gets a listen surprisingly often as it's so bizarre..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914

'Neil's Heavy Concept album'

Ok, a bit of a 'joke' album running on the back of the popularity of The Young Ones ......but it's actually an excellent record.

An all star cast (inc. Gavin Harrison, Pip Pyle and Jakko Jakszyk) assembled, organised and arranged by Dave Stewart. It's a quintessential Canterbury album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil's_Heavy_Concept_Album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz5QeaWkmEk

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I have the Peter Wyngarde album. That takes some beating. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an album somewhere called "The Nigel Kennedy Experience" - an album of Jim Hendrix covers played on solo violin with a small ensemble backing him. 

It's actually not that bad! Very clever the way he manages to emulate screaming feedback with a centuries old Stradivarius!
  • The White Zombie remix album... only bought it for the cover anyway :)
    Or
    Brian Eno's on Land...

Or an amazing inspiring album that could be considered strange:

Steve Tibbetts the fall of us all, beautiful virtuosic 12 string and vicious electric guitar over huge Gamelan percussion.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Bert Kampfaert
    or Kool and the Gang
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Reverend said:
    But is it any good? Dodgy lyrical content apart.

I have an album somewhere called "The Nigel Kennedy Experience" - an album of Jim Hendrix covers played on solo violin with a small ensemble backing him. 

It's actually not that bad! Very clever the way he manages to emulate screaming feedback with a centuries old Stradivarius!
    I hope it's better than when I saw him do something like that on an electric violin (through a Rivera amp, if I remember right). Truly painful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• I've got the Hendrix samples dance album by The Beautiful People... it would give Janey Hendrix a heart attack if it was released today.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• A bit more Scarlett never goes a miss..

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I've got the Scarlett Johansson one. I had to order it from America. (Yes, I know!) And I've got the one she did with Pete Yorn. 
    I just like Scarlett Johannson, okay!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Reverend said:
    Does it come with a 'make your own medallion and chest wig' kit?
  • I've actually got somewhere on vinyl, the Bruce Willis album "The return of Bruno" which you'd think was terrible, but is actually pretty good! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I've actually got somewhere on vinyl, the Bruce Willis album "The return of Bruno" which you'd think was terrible, but is actually pretty good! 
    I have three Carla Bruni albums, which you might also expect to be terrible but are quite good. She can't *really* sing I suppose, she does that soft 'French chanteuse' thing, but she's nice enough to listen to, and appears to be able to play the guitar. Not that odd though so probably doesn't really count.

I also have some very avant-garde weirdness by a chap called Martin Archer, which I genuinely like. It's almost certainly the oddest-sounding music I have, possibly except for the Tibetan monks album…

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Checking my collection, I have 5 albums of Tom Waits covers, but not that one! But to be honest I'd say they are all on balance  less odd than the fabulous originals.

Beefheart or zappa probably qualify as odd whilst still being good

My favourite album which is understandably marmite is Bee Thousand by Guided by Voices

Depends what you regard as odd I suppose
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Thinking a bit more... Tom Waits' Raindogs is one of my favourite albums he's made, but when you first hear the opening track it is fairly odd if you're not used to him. I once read a review that described it as a demonic vision of a disney soundtrack, which I think is pretty accurate

The Minnie Driver album Everything I've Got In My Pocket I bought on a sort of 'really?' basis, but I actually like it. Not groundbreaking, but she plays the acoustic and wrote the songs. I think she's got a pleasant, mellow voice. Again - not sure if it's that odd, but not many seem to know she's done a few albums.
  • What comes to mind is probably just odd for me rather than truly odd but Why Should I Stand Up by The Colorblind James Experience. I think they were a sort of eighties US indie band using traditional instruments alongside electric guitars and polka rythmns and things like that. I have no idea why I bought it ( apparently John Peel championed it but by the late 80s I wouldn’t have been listening to him) but I’ve always liked it.

https://youtu.be/7iu9RoUz7m8
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    AlexC said:

Reverend said:
    Does it come with a 'make your own medallion and chest wig' kit?
    It comes with some of the most wtf lyrics ever. 
    And yes @ICBM the music is actually pretty good in a sort Labi schifrin in a budget sort of way