Preamp DI - what have you tried?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Seymour Duncan SFX-06 Paranormal pedal.

Essentially, their STC-3A bass guitar active EQ circuitry, transplanted into a metal box and paired with an XLR balanced output socket. Footswitches govern the bypass and preset Slap Contour function. There is no pre-amp/gain stage to speak of. 
    That's another one for the list then ;)

I'm going to be skint real quick at this rate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Are you looking to acquire gear or just canvassing opinions? 
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Are you looking to acquire gear or just canvassing opinions? 
    I think I'm canvassing opinions, but I may then acquire.  Mrs B asked the far-too-early "whaddaya want for Christmas?" Question earlier (she likes shopping early) - so I thought a list of potential DI pedals might be a good thing..
  • @Bridgehouse I use the Hartke very straightforwardly just to get run of the mill sounds. Generally I have everything flat but increase the knob that adds the valve like warmth to suit my mood or the room.
  • Another option... a Way Huge Pork Loin and a £25 Orchid Electronics Micro DI box. The Pork Loin does the dark SVT thing well, and has a great clean blend to keep things tidy. The Orchid won in a shootout of plain DI boxes we did, is only bested my my Khan Tube DI! 
  • Yeah I rate the Orchid DI too, I have the bigger version, great value for money.

Some guitar pedals do work quite nicely, especially if you have a clean blend pedal.

I quite like the Boss BD2 for a little bit of hair.  The MD2 makes for a surprisingly good high gain bass sound but again needs a clean blend to bring the lows back in.

• I got one of these just for the hell of it
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MIC200-Ultragain-Vacuum-Preamplifier/dp/B0002E51PI
    I haven't used it a lot but it's worked OK with everything I've tried plugging into it (mics, guitars, maybe bass but can't rightly remember)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself