Guitar Auctions?

What's Hot
Other than this:

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/catalogue-preview-thursday-14th-december-2017/

Does anyone know of other "real" guitar auction houses (not starting with e and ending in bay :# ) ?

Always thought the additional costs here put the final prices a tad high. Anyone been?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is that harrysevens shop up for sale? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 718
    These Gardiner Houlgate auctions happen a couple of times a year and always spark a debate on here. I'd imagine this one will be no different as there's quite a few interesting lots this time.

@HarrySeven will be all over Lot 25 !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited November 2017
    mort said:
    These Gardiner Houlgate auctions happen a couple of times a year and always spark a debate on here. I'd imagine this one will be no different as there's quite a few interesting lots this time.

Sadly, no.

Generally, because (even though they're now a factor of modern life), I really detest auctions (online or otherwise).

Specifically because Gardiner Houlgate's Buyer's Premiums are ridiculous @ 24%

Also because I'm guessing they will have separated it from Lot 435, the greedy shits.

Finally, because this kind of guff (from their website) makes me vomit: "Auctioneering is reputed to be one of the oldest professions in the world and has been used by countless generations to establish and achieve the true market value of goods." Really?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    mort said:

Sadly, no.

Generally, because (even though they're now a factor of modern life), I really detest auctions (online or otherwise).

Specifically because Gardiner Houlgate's Buyer's Premiums are ridiculous @ 24%

Also because I'm guessing they will have separated it from Lot 435, the greedy shits.

Finally, because this kind of guff (from their website) makes me vomit: "Auctioneering is reputed to be one of the oldest professions in the world and has been used by countless generations to establish and achieve the true market value of goods." Really?

My dad was telling me the other day that a couple of the big London auction houses now charge 40% - that is 40% to you the seller - he had a violin bow to sell for a few thousand pounds
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    edited November 2017
    Did anyone see the pic GH put on their FB page the other day of the 500 guitar collection they have just taken on to sell for someone....that's a serious amount. 
    I saw that one of the big auction houses in the USA charge a minimal appraisal fee of $500.....and that's before they decide whether they want to sell it for you! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Did anyone see the pic GH put on their FB page the other day of the 500 guitar collection they have just taken on to sell for someone....that's a serious amount. 
    I did not see this - have you the link 

I was told the other day about a large insurance claim on a house fire - believe it was smoke damage - guitars not marked but cases got 'smokey' and these are all to be offered for sale in due course - I know it was  a large amount of nice guitars - so not sure if this is linked to your comments
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12648
    Erm... I think they need to sack whoever is doing their estimates. Exhibit A:

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-351-vampower-baby-combo-guitar-amplifier/

I have one of these. They are super rare and change hands for at least 10 times that estimate when they rarely get sold. I paid *significantly* more than those estimates for mine nearly 12 years ago... They didn't make many of those...

Oh and the 24% thing... it does *include* VAT. ;-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    Erm... I think they need to sack whoever is doing their estimates. Exhibit A:

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-351-vampower-baby-combo-guitar-amplifier/

They are super rare and change hands for at least 10 times that estimate when they rarely get sold. I paid *significantly* more than those estimates for mine nearly 12 years ago...

Low estimates to attract bidders?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Those auction house owners aren't as stupid as we look.  :s
    Be seeing you.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Estimates are not that low - add 24% plus shipping fees - a single guitar will be £40 - so a £200 bid will set you back around £290
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12648
    Voxman said:
    Estimates are not that low - add 24% plus shipping fees - a single guitar will be £40 - so a £200 bid will set you back around £290
    Problem is, it then sets up an expectation - if someone else sees that and for example, I put my Power Baby up for sale for its market value (around £400), I'll get every dickead and his mate telling me my price is too high, or lowballing me quoting those prices... Because they're 'experts' thanks to the internet.

I'd also love to pick up that Odyssey guitar for less than £500. Experience tells me that such a guitar for sale in the UK normally sells for nearly three times that. Even with a 24% bidders premium, I'd happily find £500 plus the fees for that guitar.

Auction estimates should be realistic, otherwise they shouldn't be there as they are misleading.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @impmann or at least display a seaparate price including ALL the fees at VAT so you know what you will actually paying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom