Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The new Ed O'Brien Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5380
    So much want. So little need.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited November 2017
    I paid around £900 for my MIM Roadworn Flea Jazz bass and because of the colour, pickups, and electronics all round, it is a SUPERB bass for the money. I prefer it to my MIA J bass. I think high end MIM gear is really really good now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It looks like a brilliant guitar at a reasonable price. I'd much rather have this than a US Standard (whatever it's called now). 

I'd venture it'd cost a chunk more to get a new Mexi Standard and have a decent tech fit a sustainer, and you'l still have a Mexi Standard that's worth maybe 450 with the wind behind it. This will be a better guitar and worth 600 any day of the week.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Kinda want this, anyone got stock...?

Not sure about the fat neck, would probably want to try it!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Dan_Halen said: 
    Nearly a grand for a Mexican strat with a couple of aftermarket pickups.... Ouch.

To be fair the higher end mim stuff is pretty great. 
    I'd agree with this, I have a 50s Precision bass and its quality is very good.

At the high end of the mim price range, some of the price difference is purely wage differences. I'd prefer to buy high end Mexican than low end American. Only reason I didn't with my Strat is because the American had the specs I wanted.
  • Kinda want this, anyone got stock...?

Not sure about the fat neck, would probably want to try it!
    Gear 4 Music estimated delivery is 14th to 16th February, so looks like a bit of a wait to try one out. Must admit I'm interested after watching that video.
  • cllmcllm Frets: 5
    I know this is super lame of me but I'm really digging that neck plate. Not usually into hippy stuff but that engraving is v. aesthetic.
  • Dan_Halen said:
    Nearly a grand for a Mexican strat with a couple of aftermarket pickups.... Ouch.

-the neck pickup and accompanying gubbins would cost you £300 to buy at retail, and that's before you fit it. 

It seems expensive but compared to the cost of doing it yourself it's pretty fairly priced. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven't watched the demos yet, but I know I want one!
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Each to their own I guess.

I've had a road worn Strat and let it go because it was so lifeless and lacking compared with my Plus Strat and AVRI one (which cost me £500 and £750 respectively). I'm no cork sniffer - I bought the road worn because I loved the look of the guitar and how it was on paper. It just felt so... underwhelming compared with my others no matter how much I wanted to love it. 

People seem to want to compare this with other 'high end' mex strats - what's high end about this one beyond the pickups costing as much as the rest of the guitar? The road worn had nitro, relic work, a nice sanded neck - a custom shop vibe for the MIM range. This has the pick-ups and a different neck (with the neck shape having no bearing on cost).
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Don't get me wrong as well - if you buy one and it works for you then good on you. There's no right or wrong and if it floats your boat only you can decide the right price. I just struggle to see this a nearly a grands worth of instrument - you must really want a sustainer to pay 950 for a 500 guitar.

It does look cool though.... :-D
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    One of my little niggles - and this is an aside in a way - is that whenever a Signature Guitar is reviewed, 99 times out of a 100 the demonstrator just plays the original players songs. Sort of makes these guitars look like they're for tribute acts. Whereas most signature models are pretty high end guitars that you can do anything with. In fact - oh the irony - we're told the EOB Strat is a modded Eric Clapton Strat! 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Oh - and I love Radiohead so I wasn't having 'a go' from that angle.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    AlexC said:
    One of my little niggles - and this is an aside in a way - is that whenever a Signature Guitar is reviewed, 99 times out of a 100 the demonstrator just plays the original players songs. Sort of makes these guitars look like they're for tribute acts. Whereas most signature models are pretty high end guitars that you can do anything with. In fact - oh the irony - we're told the EOB Strat is a modded Eric Clapton Strat! 

Is that what the guy was playing in the PMT review clip?  I've never really listened to much Radiohead so I didn't know, although of course I'd have guessed as much.  It sounded good to me.

I guess in a demo like that the artist's own material is a good place to start, but then the reviewer could go on to show what else the guitar can do.

• Dan_Halen said:
     I just struggle to see this a nearly a grands worth of instrument - you must really want a sustainer to pay 950 for a 500 guitar.

---problem is, stick the sustainer in a £900 guitar and you'll be paying £1200 for "a £900 guitar". That technology is expensive and there's no way round it. 
  • impmann said:
    Once the new custom guitar is paid for, the EOB Strat is the next one to save up for.

Remember that room of too many guitars you had and how you felt better after getting rid of a load??
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I want one, seriously.

My understanding is this is a new production model?  Not a limited edition?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I want one, seriously.

My understanding is this is a new production model?  Not a limited edition?
    Think so.  But presumably its shelf life will depend on popularity so - no offence to Ed O'Brien - I suspect it won't be around for very long.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    What DOES Ed do? Lol
    DesVegas said:
    What DOES Ed do? Lol
    To be fair to Ed, a surprising number of memorable guitar lines from the first three albums, and probably even more from their more recent output, are him.

No band really NEEDS three guitarists I suppose, but he could have afforded to retire years ago if he was bored with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom