Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First steps to recording

What's Hot

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

@TADodger , I have a cheap Behringer audio Interface at home (cant remember the model number but can check later), that I bought when I wanted to start doing some recording. As it happens, I ended up getting a Katana and just use that straight into Studio One now, so never used the Audio Interface at all. Took it out of the box once to look at it...

Ill be happy to shove it in the post for you if you wanted? Don't want anything for it.

Let me know.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    The problem I had with computer based recording is that I found that I got distracted by almost unlimited options and infinite settings. I also suffered an unreasonable amount of conflicts and computery issues.

With my physical recorder, everything is a little more in my face and easy to access. I discovered that I can focus more on the music rather than the method of making it. When I have the raw files, I export them to Audacity, normalise, trim, silence, compress and any other things I have to do and then import them for mix down and final polish.

My experience will possibly be anathema to those that are completely settled in the full on computer based workflow but I find that my method is just a bit more accessible for me.  

There's a lot to be said for this approach.  After many years of Cubasing I've just bitten the bullet and gone for a hardware recorder for use in my practice room.  It only arrived yesterday, but within five minutes I had it set up and recording.  Now it's set up, it's simply switch on and go.  No messing with conflicts, drivers, that why-am-I-scratching-my-head-for-hours-instead-of-making-music feeling.  Just a few faders, buttons, meters, and music.

The R16 is has a proper 8-track mixer which is necessary if you have a few sources like synths, guitar, and microphones, or if you want to record a full band with drums all at once, or you could go for something smaller if you don't need all that functionality.  The R8 is about £230 and the R16 £280.

Both those units can be used as an interface and controller for DAWs too, but the great thing is you can use them as a sketchpad for getting ideas down, or for tracking your parts initially, then bring the files into a DAW for production.  The best of both worlds IMHO.  There's loads of units available for all price brackets, particularly if you consider buying used.

Obviously a computer is more powerful, but your story of having to fiddle with software for ages just to make a sound is so familiar.  A hardware unit is much more convenient and intuitive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    MrBump said:
    Just to add to this - I've done a fair amount of recording with various degrees of success.  I suspect the Mac route is probably far more rewarding than (my) PC route... Macs just seem to handle DAWs better.

I've been a long time Cakewalk user, in various guises.  I've recently started using Reaper - what I found with Cakewalk was that I was getting bogged down in the process of recording rather than actual creation of music.  Somehow, Reaper - even though it's cheaper and maybe less feature rich - got me producing end results more quickly.

I quite like what @@Wolfetone ;has to say about the physical mixer - that's a good idea, and I'm actually tempted by it.  Although I suspect I'll still be sucked back into the digital world.

I use a Focusrite DSP Pro24, by the way, which is excellent, and not hideously expensive.  And a couple of M-Audio monitors, again not mega bucks.
    I was with Cakewalk through Sonar too, then gave up and switched to Reaper, it had become so unituitive, I love how intuitive (for me) reaper is. As just because its cheap doesn't mean it isn't pro - I was just reading an interview with the guy that scored the new Call of Duty game, all in Reaper!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    I found when I started playing again you have a very basic recording solution with just a simple Blackstar Core 10 amp or a Katana (and probably others, those just happen to be the ones I have that record through USB) and a program like Audacity.

Was thinking of putting an entry in for the Xmas competition recorded this way.  Mine will undoubtedly suck when compared to all the talented sorts on here, but you can but try.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3377
    I've been thinking about getting into basic home recording and eyeing up a Focusrite Scarlett. But having read this I've been checking out the hardware options, as my pc is getting on a bit.

The zoom r8 or r16 have caught my attention, but they are now 7 years old. Is there anything more recent which is better?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    NelsonP said:
    I've been thinking about getting into basic home recording and eyeing up a Focusrite Scarlett. But having read this I've been checking out the hardware options, as my pc is getting on a bit.

The zoom r8 or r16 have caught my attention, but they are now 7 years old. Is there anything more recent which is better?
    You need the facility of creating and exporting .WAV files from the unit. Some of the older digital recorders needed a real time analogue download. Just make sure that there's a USB connection and check the specs. I have noticed that the 16/24/32 track recorders aren't going so cheaply any more.

Have people realised how easy it is to record with hardware DAWs? 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Monitor speakers = Tannoy Reveal. I got mine from @Jalapeno and they're excellent.
    He did. Still miss them.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    TADodger said:
    Thanks all some really great info to start with here. I have managed to get the zoom identified in Reaper and managed to get one track to show signs of recording but coolant hear it playback either on PC speakers, or headphones (in PC not zoom, just realised I didn't try that!). Also count seem to set up to record another track so gave up for the night. will try again later. 

Good point about the spill, I thought the internal microphone was / could be disabled in the PC or Reaper settings?

If you using your Zoom as the interface to record, then you also have your sound played back through that device - so have you got speakers plugged into the Zooms outputs? That's all it is! Otherwise go back into devices and switch back to your pc's soundcard and then when you press play you will then hear the audio you can see recorded but as of now are not hearing.........its something I can relate to - I was there myself and thought "derrr!!!" when the penny dropped!! Noob error...I so can relate!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Nikko said: Ty

@TADodger , I have a cheap Behringer audio Interface at home (cant remember the model number but can check later), that I bought when I wanted to start doing some recording. As it happens, I ended up getting a Katana and just use that straight into Studio One now, so never used the Audio Interface at all. Took it out of the box once to look at it...

Ill be happy to shove it in the post for you if you wanted? Don't want anything for it.

Let me know.

Behringer interface I got with my Vamp3 means lots of cables but impressive in terms of lag. My laptop was quite happy with Behringer but with my zoom G5 loads of issues
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Thanks again - still reading and picking up tips. 

@siraxeman - I was working on the basis that by setting the preferences in Reaper to Zoom for input and PC speakers fro output I would have sound out via the PC, but will try headphones / speakers from the zoom.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    NelsonP said:

Audio doesn't need a massively high powered PC - especially if you are starting out.  If you mastering something with 30 channels and have multiple plugins on each channel it might be different, but to start with you are only likely to be using up to 8 or 10 tracks, and most PCs from the last 10 years should handle that.
    edited November 2017

@TADodger

If you can see a .wav file recorded i'll bet money on you hearing something when you do!

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    FWIW I use a native instruments komplete audio interface, two mic inputs with phantom power (for x/y recording of acoustics) or direct in hi-z inputs for recording electric guitar if using guitar rig, or other guitar software, a good few outs, low latency driver... Is a great bit of kit highly recommended. One of these, some freeware amp simulators a few cheap condensor mic's and reaper would cover a lot of ground for a simple setup IMHO
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3377
    Apart from the Zoom R8/16 etc, the other option I've seen would be something like the Boss BR800. But it seems strange to go back a couple of generations on the modelling front, just to have a self contained unit that won't have driver issues, latency etc.

Its a shame that Boss and Zoom haven't updated their hardware units. They are selling the same ones now as in 2010.
    Perhaps its a case of 'if it ain't broke', but I'm guessing that's because a most folks are now attracted to something like a Focusrite Scarlett attached to a PC, with plugins.

I already have a separate modeller (an Amplifire) so have no real need for plugins etc. I'd just like an easy way to record from it.
  • NelsonP said:
    Apart from the Zoom R8/16 etc, the other option I've seen would be something like the Boss BR800. But it seems strange to go back a couple of generations on the modelling front, just to have a self contained unit that won't have driver issues, latency etc.

Its a shame that Boss and Zoom haven't updated their hardware units. They are selling the same ones now as in 2010.
    Perhaps its a case of 'if it ain't broke', but I'm guessing that's because a most folks are now attracted to something like a Focusrite Scarlett attached to a PC, with plugins.

I already have a separate modeller (an Amplifire) so have no real need for plugins etc. I'd just like an easy way to record from it.
    You can tell that the Zoom R16 is slightly long in the tooth now from its aesthetics, but it works perfectly well.  In terms of importing into a PC, just take the card and download the WAVs, then use a DAW for production if you want.  For what you get - 8 XLR ins, 8 track simultaneous recording, 8 track PC interface, it's really good value.  If you want 8 XLR inputs, the closest dedicated interface I can see is the Scarlett 18i20 which is £100 more and you have to connect it to a computer to make it work!

I'm really looking forward to taking it to the next band practice, chucking a few mics up on the kit, recording everything multitrack, and bringing it into Cubase to tidy it up for a really high-quality solution to doing live recordings.  

In short, even though the Zoom R16  has been around a few years, there's still nothing else out there that does a significantly better, or cheaper, job.

I have an R24, so its like 8 better isn't it! ;) Does a great job even the onboard amp sims n fx are quite useable. This track was completely done on the R24 apart from the drums which was my Boss DR880 plugged into the R24.

The great thing with these Zoom and also Tascam's  is you can USB your audio files across to a pootah....to get it out onto teh web, or to manipulate it furtherer in a DAW(which I haven't done with the track below)

The Boss ones I'd stay away from, just because they don't record to .wav files! The BR800 is really not an 8 track recorder either. Boss use their own compression format and you have to use a converter software to convert the files into .wav format which takes a while and as its recorded compressed in the first place the quality can't be as good as a raw .wav file when you convert it too one! I've had the BR1600 and the latest BR800 and the lil mini micro BR...never really did anything with 'em though....kept 'em for a while the just flogged 'em to get my money back. 

• I use Logic with an iMac and an M-Audio soundcard. It's all very easy to set up and get going with, and there's so many online tutorial things available now that you can sort out most things you're not sure about quickly. I never used Garageband but that'd be the same. 

The one thing I would definitely check if you are getting stuff for a Mac is what OS the hardware/software you intend to buy is supported up to (particularly if you get an audio interface off eBay or something). I hadn't updated my OS for ages, really as I couldn't be bothered and was being lazy, but decided to do it a week ago to the latest (High Sierra I think). After I'd done this, I found out that Logic Pro was no longer supported on the new OS (and going back a few!), so I had to upgrade to Logic Pro X (£200 - Apple don't upgrade for free between these releases). I'd sort of planned to get that at some stage anyway, but it was a pain. I then found out that M-Audio no longer provided updates for my audio interface, so that was obsolete after only about 4 years. Luckily a load of people had got pissed off with this, and had crowdsourced an update, so I've got it working now, but that could easily have been another £100+ I'd have needed to spend. This is all entirely down to my own stupidity, but Logic is the only big bit of software I use outside of all the stuff that comes with a Mac anyway (and is updated for free), so it completely slipped my mind. Just worth thinking about. I think this was raised in another thread elsewhere which might be worth a read.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Thanks @Vibetronic - I saw the other thread about Mac OS compatibility. Mine is on El Capitan so looking to make sure whatever I buy works with that at least.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    siraxeman said:

I have an R24, so its like 8 better isn't it! ;) Does a great job even the onboard amp sims n fx are quite useable. This track was completely done on the R24 apart from the drums which was my Boss DR880 plugged into the R24.

The great thing with these Zoom and also Tascam's  is you can USB your audio files across to a pootah....to get it out onto teh web, or to manipulate it furtherer in a DAW(which I haven't done with the track below)

The Boss ones I'd stay away from, just because they don't record to .wav files! The BR800 is really not an 8 track recorder either. Boss use their own compression format and you have to use a converter software to convert the files into .wav format which takes a while and as its recorded compressed in the first place the quality can't be as good as a raw .wav file when you convert it too one! I've had the BR1600 and the latest BR800 and the lil mini micro BR...never really did anything with 'em though....kept 'em for a while the just flogged 'em to get my money back. 

I have a DR880 and it is an exceptional drum machine. You can pick them up for peanuts for some reason. Can't understand why. I use mine live also.
  • On the subject of drum machine - @Wolfetone - I use an SR-16. One of the biggest disincentives to recording anything is the sheer hassle of deciding what rhythm you want and programming it in. I always start with the drum part, then record the rhythm guitar parts, then the bass. After that, I put on keys or solo guitar in whatever order seems good to me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself