Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've been in a pentatonic-ridden plateau for a few years now...

What's Hot

Hey guys,

So I've been playing guitar since I was a young teenager, and I've always loved it and had a true passion for it. But after heading to university four years ago, I haven't had the time to invest the necessary amount of time on guitar in order to keep excelling. Long story short, I've been playing the same minor blues scale for literally four years now. I currently find myself in a position capable of investing a little bit more time into constructive practices for my music theory. 

So my question to you all is: whats next after I've butchered the pentatonic scales? I've tried to look at modes, but I struggled to get a grip on it. Have any of you ever gone through a similar situation? If so, I would love to hear some advice on how you got through it and continued to excel. I love the guitar, but I really don't want to be playing pentatonics my whole life. 

My guitar heroes are Jimi Hendrix, Kirk Hammett and John Mayer. Interesting combination, I know. But I figured I'd mention the style of music I want to be able to master. 

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use arpeggios in solos to break out of the pentatonic rut, and they highlight chord changes better. Modes are good but you have to know where the intervals are in relation to each other so its doesn't sound scale like when you solo.

The natural minor can be a good way to darken up a minor key solo too with an added 2nd and minor 6th.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I found the minor scale was a natural progression on from pentatonics. It will add interesting colouration to your leads. After you've gotten used to adding a couple of extra notes to your pentatonic runs, the other modes should be easier to learn.

What I would say though is don't try to learn them all. Find a mode that you like the sound of, and fits your style, (e.g. Kirk Hammett favours the Dorian mode a lot) and stick to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KareemMonzerKareemMonzer Frets: 0
    edited November 2017
    @Lestratcaster @Maynehead That's great advice guys, I'll try to look into them! Thanks a lot
  • Natural minor and Dorian are good places to start as you already know the minor pentatonic, its just adding 2 extra intervals. Dorian contains a major 6 and nat minor a flat 6th, so just shift when you need a particular sound. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Personally I'd simply like to get the most out of those pentatonic scales.  I am startlingly unoriginal, and don't have many licks.
    I am finding that learning more of other people's solos helps.  Perhaps that would help with the OP too?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Natural minor and Dorian are good places to start as you already know the minor pentatonic, its just adding 2 extra intervals. Dorian contains a major 6 and nat minor a flat 6th, so just shift when you need a particular sound. 
    This is a good place to start. It allows you to introduce additional notes one at a time to the pentatonic, which you already know. You can hear what each note adds to the sound and feel of the pentatonic. You can learn how to use the new notes in phrases, still using the pentatonic as your frame of reference.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    If your guitar heroes are Jimi Hendrix, Kirk Hammett and John Mayer why are you worried about only playing pentatonics? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @pia98jf hahaha I guess you're right, but for some reason, I still don't sound like them! I guess its the creativity within a particular pentatonic scale that I feel limited to...

• A good one for me is the solo from All Right Now... Ok...you stopped reading. Hear me out! 

It's an incredibly clever use of two different scales with some nice triads. 

Written by a, then, 16 year old... Blows me away! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use arpeggios in solos to break out of the pentatonic rut, and they highlight chord changes better. Modes are good but you have to know where the intervals are in relation to each other so its doesn't sound scale like when you solo.

The natural minor can be a good way to darken up a minor key solo too with an added 2nd and minor 6th.
    I'm in a similar boat to the OP (except maybe add 6-7 years :P). How would you play the arpeggios of simple Major/Minor chords? I understand arpeggios in a Jazz context when almost every chord has at least 4 notes, but how do you apply that to a Rock/Pop song that just has triads? Is each one just 3 notes or do you embellish a little?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    a pentatonic-ridden plateau for a few years? ..... you're lucky, I fell into a pentatonic pit 30 years ago and broke both legs on hitting the floor. I gave up trying to escape years ago.

I used to try and send notes out for help but I stopped after 5. I ran out of ideas.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'm in a similar boat to the OP (except maybe add 6-7 years :P). How would you play the arpeggios of simple Major/Minor chords? I understand arpeggios in a Jazz context when almost every chord has at least 4 notes, but how do you apply that to a Rock/Pop song that just has triads? Is each one just 3 notes or do you embellish a little?
    I focus on the 3 main intervals of said major/minor chords, the root (same note as the chord e.g G will be the root of a G) the 3rd and the 5th. So when the chord comes about, then you play those intervals from it.
  • If you are into Jimi Hendrix and are coming from a Rock perspective then I suggest you look at your rhythm playing. Learning Phrygian dominant with double twist scales are okay, but in the real world good rhythm chops are where it's at.
    For me the best thing about Jimi was his use of chords and the way he connects them. Have a look at this Guthrie Govan lesson on the Hendrix style.

• I'm almost the same, can play in Minor Key all day, but have to mainly compose rather than improvise in Major Keys. Try moving to Major progressions, understanding playing over Blues Standards(Major Blues Progression) can open up many new possibilities.

Don't think of it as just "Boring Old Man Blues". You hear Blues licks and influence all over the place in Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Pop and Funk.

These videos are really helpful as a starter. They emphasise the importance of Chord Tones. Blues is not easy, the b7 in the chords and the changes provide challenges, but also give licence to variety in soloing.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • baj25baj25 Frets: 2
    Great thread. I've been stuck with the same scale for 40 years now, but as somebody mentioned earlier, I use it as a framework and add notes where I think they'll work. Once in a while they do...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Try playing in alternate tunings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Move you pentatonic shapes 2 frets higher. Dorian!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited November 2017
    There are 10 available pentatonic scales (or modes) - five of one shape, five of another. Each group of five has some major flavoured scales and some minor ones. If you like scales, try them all!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    I would say learn the major scale iff you havnt already in all 5 positions plus the extended 3 nps ones ....a lot of people thing they know these but when it comes down to it dont' really .. then probably Mel minor scale by flattening the 3rd then the diatonic arps from both of these ....loads of work but worth it in the long run :)

Also try learning scales up and down the fretboard on single strings as well as across
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    edited November 2017
    I am pretty much in the same boat, I found this which is helpful,  https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/pentatonic_scales.html , The caged system in the video looks very interesting, and much more interesting than sitting playing scales over and over again, playing rhythm and lead together seems a much more natural way to learn.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.