Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Acoustic options, £750-1500?

What's Hot
I’ve been looking to get another acoustic recently, my current one is a mid-nineties EJ200 that I’ve had from new. I fancy something as a contrast, physically smaller (that doesn’t rule much out…) and decent quality. So far, I’ve tried Taylor 612 & 614 (lovely setup, uninspiring sound), Gibson LG2 (nice sound, mediocre factory setup), Yamaha and Larivees at c.£1k (can’t remember the models, just OK feel and sound). Some ‘nice’ stuff, just nothing I’ve bonded with. Although not exactly fitting the bill in terms of size, my fave so far was a S/H Tanglewood TW1000CE that a salesman suggested. Guild M140 or M40 on the radar if I can find one to try. Not sure what else to try up to £1500, any thoughts? Mostly folk, strumming, some fingerpicking. TIA, Brian
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Martin 00015m - £1499 ish new, all solid mahogany, hardcase, american made, great sound...

Or keep an eye out for second hand J45 stds which are sometimes around that price... Or look at the Gibson J35, all solid, us made, hard case
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • £1500.00 will get you a brand new Gibson J45. Find yourself a nice one and you shouldn't need to look any further.
    £1000-£1500 will put you the used Martin standard series, so D28, D18, 00018, OM21 are all affordable.
    Also, Furch/Stonebridge and Larrivee should be looked at in that range.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Furch/Stonebridge

Second hand guitars from British builders would be good in that price range if you can find them.  I did see a second hand Alister Atkin in a shop for £1500 last year.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are in Lancs then get thee to Frailers in Runcorn and try everything! They are very accommodating, and will let you play everything. They will make suggestions or leave you alone as required.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    J15 maybe?
  • baj25baj25 Frets: 2
    Frailers, wow, what a place. I am working a couple of miles from there at the moment, early dart to have a look I think!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    crunchman said:
    Furch/Stonebridge
    This is where my money went.

I find the G23CR Cutaway fine for fingerpicking and lighter strumming. Things get ragged if I strum it as hard as I would on a Martin.

US-made Guilds are nice. Maton is worth a look - provided that you can find one.

Does your stated budget allow for an aftermarket transducer system and fitting? One of the neat features on the Furch/Stonebridge guitars is the easily removable/replaceable end pin. I whacked an L. R. Baggs Lyric system in my guitar. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • baj25baj25 Frets: 2
    Tried a good few acoustics this afternoon, fave was a martin 000 16rgte. Anyone experience of the non-ebony fingerboard? What did these go for new, asking price (1500) seems maybe tad high, though it is good nick?
  • Keep an eye on the classifieds as my Martin M36 is sold only till 30th November pending a flight from France,this blows most things away.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited December 2017
  • Takemine New Yorker range. Even the higher end ones will be under your budget. 

Yes I'm biased but it is without a doubt the best acoustic I've played this year and if I had the money back I'd buy it again. 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Takamine-CP3NYK-New-Yorker-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar/1ILL

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    edited December 2017
    jackorion said:
    Martin 00015m - £1499 ish new, all solid mahogany, hardcase, american made, great sound...
    This^

In fact I’ve one fitted with an lr Baggs lyric that isn’t getting played much at the moment (going through an electric phase). Pm me if you are interested.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    baj - first we need to know what u intend to do with it - there's just so much choice out there in this price range, so what da ya play ?.
  • +1 on Frailers - they have the widest range of American made acoustics you’re likely to find anywhere.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited December 2017
    Eastman does a violin colour version of the LG2, stonking great vibey guitar
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 286
    I might have a Larrivee D40 I’d sell. I really want a Martin D28
  • You may be able to get a used Avalon for that price range, highly recommended
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 1973 Gibson J50 Deluxe for sale at present.

Fantastic condition with original case.

Pm me for details if you are interested.

cheers
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    You may be able to get a used Avalon for that price range, highly recommended

This man tells the truth, you should listen to this wisdom. I think there's one on the 2nd hand section at guitarguitar, at least there was the last time I looked a few days ago