Blue Chip - tried to debunk, failed

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
I set out to prove to myself that they were an expensive indulgence that make no difference.

I couldn't. 

TD-50 ftw 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I'm hoping at some point to AB a bluechip and a wegen. However, having tried yours, I am sold on blue chip.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    the best no question, tried the lot and now have 4 bluechips of different sizes for guitar and mandolin, 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited November 2017
    I'm still on the fence. Ordered a TD60 and TD80 as they're the closest in thickness to my Wegens. Turns out they're nothing like Wegens (as you know) and I'm wondering whether a thinner Blue Chip might be better for what Blue Chips are good at. So, thinner ones are on their way. It's amazing how they attract almost universally positive reviews online. I'm hoping I can join that band but so far I don't really "get" them.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    I love them, my main one is a TAD-1R 60. I like the Wegen bluegrass picks too. I find that a BC 50 gauge has roughly the same brightness as a Wegen, even though the Wegen is thicker.
  • I've never tried one, where do you get them here in the UK and how long do the last?

edited November 2017
    I've never tried one, where do you get them here in the UK and how long do the last?
    Got my first one five or so years ago and it’s still going strong. Uk dealer is JP Guitars, or you can order direct from the US.

Other pricey picks that I think are worthy of consideration are Charmed Life. They do a tortoiseshell-alike pick (“n” series) that is very impressive, and also some in a material they say is the same as BCs but which I’ve never tried.

Pricey picks I haven’t got on with - Red Bear (overly bright) and Wolfram which may work on electric but on acoustic if you don’t hit the string with the bevel at exactly the right angle, the sharp edges of the bevel give you a really waspish scratchy tone.

• Thanks, I might have to try one

edited November 2017
    Thanks, I might have to try one
    I recommend the ones that have two pointed corners and one round because there’s a very big difference in sound between the two corner shapes.
    edited November 2017
       Also, if you like thicker picks, a shout out for Wegen. Sold by Clifford Essex or email Michel Wegen via the Wegen website (I’ve had picks from him from Netherlands within 48 hours). He has a lot of different models, so some trial and error required.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    They are great, and I have never seen wear of any sort on them. At the minute, my feeling is that they would go 10yrs plus of daily use with no wear. Maybe more though. When you realise how much the material they are made from (Vespal) costs, then the price does not seen so obscene.
  • It would be nice if local music shops stocked them and you could go in and try a few rather than the lottery of an online purchase.
    @cloudnine do you mean Vespel?

It would be nice if local music shops stocked them and you could go in and try a few rather than the lottery of an online purchase.
    @cloudnine do you mean Vespel?

Thought it was Vespal, will need to check.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Just looked it up - to buy 10" x 10" x 60/1000" (a representative bluechip pick thickness) costs $1132 for the material 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    edited November 2017
    it is made from purest unobtainium. To get even one sheet, you have to sit through all of Avatar. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    (Photo links...aaargh!)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    that's probably a private ink rather than a public one 

Red ones are better. 
    Sorry, I tried to make it public. Anyway, it's a TD35, TD40 and TD50...
    I use the TD35. But with the round bevel, as not as keen on the speed bevel.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've had Wegen picks for a while - their mandolin ones are superb, and I really like dealing with The man himself