How excited should I be about playing/buying an Avalon?

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
edited November 2017 in Acoustics

So my search for a new acoustic appears to be coming to a close.

Someone got in touch locally and has offered me an Avalon Pioneer D2 for a good price.

I have never played one before but am aware of their reputation.

So how do they compare to the more well known Martin and Taylor brands?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They're excellent. I have an A200CE, which is a rosewood back and sides with a spruce top. Handmade.

I'd say they're well in line with the Martins and Taylors, possibly even better. When I first played a Taylor I was excited, but I couldn't afford it. When I first played a Martin I couldn't afford it and was disappointed.

When I first played the Avalon, I moved heaven and earth to get it.

That was 2005, and I still have it.

Just my personal experience.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited November 2017
    Build quality will be very good - certainly comparable to the other two makers if not better.

Soundwise - I think it depends a lot on whether you're after a classic dreadnought sound or not. The Avalon dreadnoughts I've heard demo'd sound great for fingerstyle and delicate flatpicking but a bit congested sounding for more assertive flatpicked stuff.... a long long way from the classic Martin dread sound. Which of course might be just what you're looking for.
  • My thinking is that if i don't bond with it I could always trade it for one of the ones I do like seeing as it has a must higher starting rrp. I'm pretty excited about the Avalon though, will be the first time I've ever played a handmade guitar
  • Turns out the answer to the question was that I should have been very excited, it was superb!! Which is why it came home with me :-)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    /\ /\ sadly this post is useless without pics. You can't build us up like that and not bed us back down.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I'm not able to post any at the moment and the photo sharing thing I used before seems to have gone bust.

However, the pictures here are of the actual guitar I purchased

NGD - Avalon Pioneer D2-20 - Guitars - Basschat

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    sweet, none of my biz how much you paid, but that guy got a fecking steal at £999. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    sweet, none of my biz how much you paid, but that guy got a fecking steal at £999. 

He was a genuine bloke and sold it to me for the same. Another one had sold on Gumtree for £1800 a few months ago, so I thought paying a third of the new price was a bargain
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Wow!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    edited November 2017
    They are better than Taylors and Martins of similar RRP, but miles better if you get a good deal on a used one

which is why I have 4, and sold my Taylor at a loss
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited November 2017
    preston61 said:

I'm not able to post any at the moment and the photo sharing thing I used before seems to have gone bust.

That's made me come over all unnecessary. That is way nicer than mine. And mine isn't exactly shit.

(And before anyone says anything, the strings weren't as bad as they look, it's the lighting and the way the pic was taken, they really weren't that old at the time.)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent 2 hours playing it last night and can say it sounds pretty special. The way it sustains is incredible. I also put a capo on for the first time and was impressed with how detailed that sounded as well. It's already starting to open up a bit, which I guess it was bound to seeing as it's been in its case for most of the last year

All in all, in my search for a guitar, I've not played anything that sounded as good and although the Martin 000 15e Special was the best I played in the stores, it's not a patch on this

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent news! Enjoy (and congrats on an amazing deal)
  • Thanks @Lewy at some point I'm going to need to put a pick up in it, but for now, it's spot on
  • blowawaythecloudsblowawaytheclouds Frets: 11
    edited November 2017
    I got a brand new L2-20c direct from the Avalon Factory yesterday, been playing it all day and it is superb. Ive had 3 previously and sold them on, one to make room for a McIlroy AJ45, so it was a kind of mixed regret letting it go. I sold a beautiful Taylor to buy this one and, while the Taylor was great and I thought a keeper, the Avalon is hands down a superior Guitar. The sustain is just amazing. I would recommend an Avalon to anyone looking for great value for money, any one of the main 3 Irish Guitar is a no brainier if you get the chance to own one, the Avalons have to be on your try it list
  • blowawaythecloudsblowawaytheclouds Frets: 11
    edited November 2017

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    preston61 said:

I'm not able to post any at the moment and the photo sharing thing I used before seems to have gone bust.

(And before anyone says anything, the strings weren't as bad as they look, it's the lighting and the way the pic was taken, they really weren't that old at the time.)
    someone having us on here - wheres the saddle ?.
    edited November 2017
    AliGorie said:
    preston61 said:

someone having us on here - wheres the saddle ?.
    Ha yes that was my first thought when I saw that pic....unless that’s got the lowest action known to man, that bad boy looks due for a neck reset!