Blue Chip - tried to debunk, failed

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    jellyroll said:
    Sorry, I tried to make it public. Anyway, it's a TD35, TD40 and TD50...
    you've probably made the image itself public, but need to provide a public link too 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I really like the TD-50

Thick enough to sound beefy, and a pointed enough tip to sound defined.

I have a TAD-1R 60 too - the non-rounded corners are a bit blunt and remove that definition that I like

I think the thing that really works for me with these is that they are nice and thick and stiff so you can hold them lightly for strumming and still get a full sound, but they aren't anything like as dull sounding as most similarly thick/heavy picks.
    Red ones are better. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I've had Wegen picks for a while - their mandolin ones are superb, and I really like dealing with The man himself
    Only dealt with him once but he was super efficient. In fairness, so are Clifford Essex (his UK dealer) but they don't carry (or advertise online) his full range. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    jellyroll said:
    I've had Wegen picks for a while - their mandolin ones are superb, and I really like dealing with The man himself
    Only dealt with him once but he was super efficient. In fairness, so are Clifford Essex (his UK dealer) but they don't carry (or advertise online) his full range. 
    And Michael will custom make to your spec as well ;)
    jellyroll said:
    And Michael will custom make to your spec as well ;)
    It's Michel actually :)
    CloudNine said:
    I use the TD35. But with the round bevel, as not as keen on the speed bevel.
    These came from JP's website. I didn't specify and they all do have the speed bevel. Looking at the 35, I'm surprised the bevel is so defined - I was thinking that the relative thinness of the 35 would make the bevel inconsequential but it looks like it will have quite an impact. Anyway, I'll find out tonight....  
    TimmyO said:
    I think the thing that really works for me with these is that they are nice and thick and stiff so you can hold them lightly for strumming and still get a full sound, but they aren't anything like as dull sounding as most similarly thick/heavy picks.
    They're certainly "different" in feel to regular picks. At the moment, I feel as though I'm missing the chunkiness of the Wegen when I use the BC. The Wegen doesn't have that dullness you describe (if anything, it's tending towards overly bright). I'm conscious of the BC's 98% approval rating, so I need to persevere....
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    The round bevel is a special order, so would need to mail him and get it added to the next shipment, so would be a couple of weeks wait. Hopefully you will like the speed bevel. Most people seem to.

I had a few Wegens and A/B'd with the Blue Chips, and wasn't even close for me personally. The Wegens had much more unwanted noise and a bit of a roughness against the strings, whereas the BC's seem to glide across more. Possibly as the material is supposedly self lubricating, not that I know how that really works... I didn't use the Wegens much, so no idea how quickly they wear in comparison to Blue Chips. 
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Over the past 5-6 years I've been through them all, and for me Blue Chips are the clear winner in terms of tone, feel and certainly durability. However, I got tired of being hit with import duty and the overall cost, so went looking for alternatives closer to home. Six months ago I tried Hawk Picks, and have settled on the Tonebird 7 as a replacement for the Jazz 50 bluechip (https://hawkpicks.co.uk/product/tonebird7 vs http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/Jazz50.html). The Hawks don't last as long as the BCs, but they sound and feel similar, and are noticably more durable than the other alternatives I've tried; Red Bear, V-pick, Gravity, ChickenPicks). Honourable mention goes to Wolfram too, I really like their picks but they haven't yet released one in jazz-size.

TL;DR: I'm good with Hawk picks for now. No affiliation with the company, but I do dig that they're in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tend to use Jim Dunlop Jazztone 206 picks for single line stuff, how do these compare to stuff like Blue Chip?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    @jhumber thanks I may give one of them tonebird a try.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Starting to see that the BCs do the mellow-but-sparkly thing well....

Red ones are better. 
    aha - I have found a good use for my under-used TAD60-1R - the mandolin likes it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    mandos (IMlimitedE) tend to like rounded picks, makes it easier to play smoothly across both strings. I'm toying between that or the chris thile pick when I order from BC.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    i have the Chris Thile pick, lovely it is makes me sound pretty much the same as him:)
    mgaw said:
    i have the Chris Thile pick, lovely it is makes me sound pretty much the same as him:)
    does it also know all the tunes? 
    :-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    amzingly @TimmyO ; it does i have never seen anything like it
  • Just placed an order for a handful of Jazz LGs...hello customs charge!
  • Wife bought me a TD 60 for Christmas, love it. Going to have to order a few more for my electrics as well. It's the feel and sound with gentle picking that really impresses me, really brings out the subtle picking dynamics. Very good.