David Gilmour at Pompei

sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
Watched the recording on the BBC this morning, oh dear, please DG, no more, 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I was going to record it, but completely forgot!  Was it bad?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you talking about his new Squier Strat?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Watched the BBC transmission. Felt smug about not having paid the price of the official DVD release.

aord43 said:
    Was it bad?
    Apart from a few Rattle That Lock titles, all of the material has been available elsewhere and, for the most part, performed better.

Obviously, access to the venue was a one-off special event but many of the performances did not live up to the occasion. Too many gaffes. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    The Great Gig in the Sky was atrocious, the piano was played with the sensitivity and touch of an angry Brickie with a hangover
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I’m so glad I wasn’t alone in thinking it was poor.
    Either DG had a cold or similar as the vocals were... gruff and not wonderfully in tune.
    As said the piano/keys were clumsy and the backing singers were... functional. GGitS sounded like a pub cover version. Highly under rehearsed sounding and the ‘improvised’ vocals really didn’t work.
    The big thing for me was DGs guitar tone/work. The deft, gentle touch wasn’t there. Nor were the dynamics or the perfect notes that just seem to ‘hang in space’. He sounded like he was rushing on Comfy and there were a lot of regular blues-rock cliche licks in the solo rather than his usual feel. And there was zero depth to the guitar sound - sorrow sounded ‘small’ and buzzy. 

As ever the rhythm section were impeccable though and looked like they were enjoying themselves (a far cry from the drum and bass dept of PF these days). 

Yes, I was seriously disappointed and I am a big DG fan. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Tough crowd you lot. I enjoyed it, although it was kind of in the background as I was faffing with the iPad at the same time. Looked a great venue/show. I'd happily have it on again.