Looking for acoustic for young nephew. Advice pls!

What's Hot
Hi All,

Looking to buy a 3/4 size acoustic for my seven year old nephew for Christmas. Nothing too flash, but a decent starter guitar. Any advice?

Many thanks,

Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don’t buy a 3/4, look for a full scale concert, get him a good guitar and he will enjoy learning and be rewarded with good tone and playability. What’s your budget, I could post a couple of recommendations
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Don’t buy a 3/4, look for a full scale concert, get him a good guitar and he will enjoy learning and be rewarded with good tone and playability. What’s your budget, I could post a couple of recommendations
    What on earth is the logic of this ?? He is 7 . At I’d be looking at possibly smaller than 3/4 
  • How much are you looking to spend?
  • Hi All,

Looking to buy a 3/4 size acoustic for my seven year old nephew
    Sounds like a fair swap, as long as he can do washing up

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Budget is important, because the Taylor GS mini would be great.
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Budget is important, because the Taylor GS mini would be great.
    Shameless plug, but it just so happens I have one for sale :)
  • Guys, I am so grateful for your comments. I was instructed by his immediate family to go cheap because he is more into football lol. So was I...then I discovered G N' R and cider lol! Think I'm sorted now. Cheers
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    My lad is eight Taylor GS mini plays great and his guitar tutor can’t put it down
  • A few years ago I bought a 3/4 size nylon-string acoustic for my niece (must have been about 7-8 at the time) from Cranes in Cardiff - their own brand no-name Chinese imports. Cost all of £40. She had a few lessons at school but went on to piano which she enjoys much more. Her younger sister then played it a bit but not seriously. The thing is, whenever I was visiting, I loved to pick it up and play it. Very playable, stayed in tune, and sounded great. Very impressed by it.

Somebody donated a couple of similar 1/2 size ones to them, and they were very poor in comparison.
  • sev112 said:
    Don’t buy a 3/4, look for a full scale concert, get him a good guitar and he will enjoy learning and be rewarded with good tone and playability. What’s your budget, I could post a couple of recommendations
    What on earth is the logic of this ?? He is 7 . At I’d be looking at possibly smaller than 3/4 

• The logic is in the advice given. A 7 year old could handle a concert sized guitar, such as a Breedlove, with a slim neck and smaller body. They may have to use a classical position to get the neck length right for their size, but it would be a far better experience than a kid’s 3/4. The Taylor GS mini would be a good option too
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    The logic is in the advice given. A 7 year old could handle a concert sized guitar, such as a Breedlove, with a slim neck and smaller body. They may have to use a classical position to get the neck length right for their size, but it would be a far better experience than a kid’s 3/4. The Taylor GS mini would be a good option too
    You are obviously very experienced at this so I bow to your knowledge 

my only limited experience was for my 9 or 10 year old daughter, and the 3/4 was too big for her and is on,y about right now that she is 14
  • Hey, it’s only advice. A poor playing experience is unlikely to inspire them or develop a good ear for tone. All the best in your search