String dilemma

speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
Recently been spending a fair bit more time playing, I had forgotten how corrosive my sweat is

They are about 3 years old, I THINK they are rotosound swings, with some fairly dark brown rust patches, they look shocking but sound amazing (to my slightly biased ears) Do I stick with them and make sure my tetanus jab is up to date or finally go buy new strings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rub them down with wd40. Then decide
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you like the sound of them then don't worry about it.

As pintspiller says, cleaning them with WD-40 might help take off some of the obvious rust.

I seem to remember a story about James Jamerson breaking a string in a session, and when a new one was put on it sounded so wrong that he had to go down to the nearest pawnbrokers and buy a cheap bass with ancient strings to take off the one he actually needed...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Three years and corroded? Conventional wisdom suggests that most of the high treble associated with brand new roundwound strings will have been lost. If you enjoy this sound, consider changing to a flatwound set.
    Be seeing you.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Three years and corroded? Conventional wisdom suggests that most of the high treble associated with brand new roundwound strings will have been lost. If you enjoy this sound, consider changing to a flatwound set.
    would i have to change gauges?