Help a synth novice with his first purchase...

What's Hot
I feel like I might be at the top of another slippery slope here, but synths... 

I know my way around a keyboard, I can hammer out chords and a few basic leads, and I've tried a few synths already. Not quite sure where to start. I'm looking for something to create big atmospheric soundtrack with a dark edge to them, also love dance music like Underworld and grubby deep house so would like to be able to create those sounds/textures as well.

@GavRichList already recommended a Korg Minilogue as a good starting point in terms of what it can do, and it does look really good. I might have a budget for one of those plus a Moog Mother 32 or Sub Phatty.

I love the Moog sound, so would probably be looking down the analogue synth route, but it's not polyphonic (which is something I'd prefer but might be willing to sacrifice for "that" Moog sound). It would also have to have an arpeggiator and sequencer. 

I've tried and really loved the Sub 37 (though polyphony and the Prophet Rev 2 (and the Novation peak), and would like to give the Matrixbrute a try. On one hand these are high-end synths that do a LOT and it would be a lot of money and one argument is to start simple and build up as I get into it. On the other hand, if I were to start with one high-end do-a-lot synth, you can still start simply and learn gradually to use all the features.

Not asking much, am I? Help out a synth novice, please...

... or put me off, tell me to stick to the guitar and save myself from a whole different world of potential GAS! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    "That" Moog sound can get a bit too much when stacked up polyphonically. Indeed, any song arrangement that layers up several phat synthesizer sounds can become congested and difficult to mix.

It is difficult to go far wrong with a Roland Juno-106 or -60. These are not the most powerful or complex analogue synthesizers on the pre-owned market but they make sounds that fit in a mix.

If you already have a MIDI Controller keyboard, consider collecting a few pre-owned synth modules. You will get plenty of juicy sounds from an E-Mu Orbit 3 or Xtreme Lead. (It is even possible to mix and match E-Mu Proteus family sound set ROMs into one module.) My other recommendation is the Roland JD-990 with the SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth ROM Expansion board installed.

Be seeing you.
  • I wouldn't necessarily put a Moog synth in for quite the sound you are looking for. But I've tried a Sub 37 and thought it sounded great. 

Not much goImg around for poly synths at the moment, Dave Smith seems to have cornered most of the market unless you want to buy something vintage. Ambika is pretty highly rated but not sure if they are still available now Mutable Instruments have gone Eurorack.

You could get a mono synth or two and use a software synth such as Diva for your polyphonic needs.
  • "That" Moog sound can get a bit too much when stacked up polyphonically. Indeed, any song arrangement that layers up several phat synthesizer sounds can become congested and difficult to mix.

It is difficult to go far wrong with a Roland Juno-106 or -60. These are not the most powerful or complex analogue synthesizers on the pre-owned market but they make sounds that fit in a mix.

If you already have a MIDI Controller keyboard, consider collecting a few pre-owned synth modules. You will get plenty of juicy sounds from an E-Mu Orbit 3 or Xtreme Lead. (It is even possible to mix and match E-Mu Proteus family sound set ROMs into one module.) My other recommendation is the Roland JD-990 with the SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth ROM Expansion board installed.

Speaking of Roland stuff, I did have a try of the System 8 (which has a Juno 106 module incorporated into it) and I was pretty impressed.
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 977
    edited November 2017
    I have a Korg Minilogue - as a starting point with analogue synthesis it really is excellent - the built in sequencer makes it really good value too. You might also want to look at the Korg MS 20 which works really well with the SQ-1 sequencer. 

I used to have a Roland Ghaia - that was stacked with useable sounds and sounded good when recorded - but isn't analogue. 

I know what your saying about the Moog thing though - its does a 'fuller' sound 

Edit - sorry meant to say - I am in North Wales - your welcome to come round and have a fiddle (ahem)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
     something to create big atmospheric soundtrack with a dark edge to them, also love dance music like Underworld and grubby deep house so would like to be able to create those sounds/textures as well.
    A low-cost and very powerful choice: Access Virus. There's an Indigo in the classifieds here.
  • I got very close to buying a monologue or monologue last year but the keyboards suck so much. 
    A few other thoughts, the Roland se02 is out, the behringer model D is due soon.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Synth purchases are suspended for the moment due to some c*nt nicking my wallet last night.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I got very close to buying a monologue or monologue last year but the keyboards suck so much. 
    A few other thoughts, the Roland se02 is out, the behringer model D is due soon.
    I was just going to mention the Behringer.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • as a  low cost option - if you have an ipad - theres a myriad of ios synths inc moog / korg / roland / prophet / arturia 

https://theproaudiofiles.com/ios-music-production-synth-apps/

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/23-of-the-best-ipad-iphone-ios-synth-apps-571053

add a midi controller to suit your budget ... 

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Behringer Deep Mind 12 should cover you for almost all eventualities? Played one recently and thought it sounded and felt fantastic.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Yes the DeepMind is actually really good, despite the Behringer name.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    The Deepmind is a good example of a simple synth - ignore menus and just use the panel controls and it's a Juno-style synth). But if you want to get clever with the programming and modulation options, it's way deeper than it looks.

It also has a 'panel' mode which is ideal for novices (and is still my preference) for starting to programme from scratch.
  • UPDATE: In the end, I went with the advice from @GavRichList and went with a Korg Minilogue (seemingly in a limited edition gun metallish darker grey). For all it does, £545 is a bargain, and it seemed like the perfect first dipping of toes into the just-as-GAS-ridden world of synths without breaking the bank.
  • Have you got it mate ?
  • Have you got it mate ?
    Yep, just on my way home with it now. It's as light as a feather!
  • Congrats mate, lovely thing. 

Been thoroughly enjoying the Prophet this weekend:

https://instagram.com/p/BcPGGs8Ab--/

The Prophet does sound superb, the Rev2 was the one I kept going back to. I also like the Nord Lead A1 and of course the Sub37. As a starting point, though, I thought the Minilogue was the better option. Can always add another synth later. :)

The Prophet does sound superb, the Rev2 was the one I kept going back to. I also like the Nord Lead A1 and of course the Sub37. As a starting point, though, I thought the Minilogue was the better option. Can always add another synth later. :)
    As I say, there’s a minilogue very prominently on the track we’ve just recorded. Sounds superb. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    If that Prophet 6 was 5 octaves I'd probably have one already...why only 4 Mr Smith!!