Non-Guitar Centric Music

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Phaedra is one of my favourite albums, very spaced out and mellow. Don't like a lot of their stuff tbh, but love this album.

The Pleasure Principle, Gary Numan (1979) is a bit of a synth opus. Started out as a guitar led album, then he replaced all the guitar parts with a moog/ARP. All done manually, with the synths and outboard pedals like the MXR Phase 90. A rock album, but using synths. A classic album

WIll listen to your clenching voice track in a bit ;)

Glad this thread is running again.

I have a new track brewing too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    the big synth albums for me are Spiral, Albedo 0.39 [Vangelis] and Oxygene, Equinox [JMJ]..
    I think that after these albums, neither Vangelis or JMJ did anything to that came close..
    although the soundtrack for the original Bladerunner does have some beautiful moments..

talking of Bladerunner.. the soundtrack to the new film was originally going to be Vangelis, but they switched to Hans Zimmer..
    interestingly, Zimmer captured that Vangelis vibe better than anything Vangelis himself has done in the last 20 years..
    and... the CD is on my crimbo pretty list

yes it's great to see this thread living again...

Movie soundtrack tip of the week...
    X-Men Apocalypse by John Ottman
    incredible stuff
    play every note as if it were your first
    I love the original Blade Runner score, and almost everything HAns ZImmer has done. One of my go to albums when working is the extended (all 90 mins of it) cut of the Interstellar OST. But.....I don't like the new Blade Runner score. I preferred the previous fella;s stuff (Johansson) tbh.
    Snap said:
    I love the original Blade Runner score, and almost everything HAns ZImmer has done. One of my go to albums when working is the extended (all 90 mins of it) cut of the Interstellar OST. But.....I don't like the new Blade Runner score. I preferred the previous fella;s stuff (Johansson) tbh.
    I've not bought the new Bladerunner soundtrack yet..
    but seen the film and listened to it on youtube..
    I love it.. it sounds massive and really spooky
    I will listen again today, see if I change my opinion. From what Ive heard, the recreations of tracks from the original score are my favourites.
    Snap said:
    I will listen again today, see if I change my opinion. From what Ive heard, the recreations of tracks from the original score are my favourites.
    I'd say they've attempted to recreate the mood of the music rather than recreate specific pieces
    The opening credits and Tears in Rain are like remakes of the originals tbh. Almost cover versions
    edited November 2017
    Snap said:
    The opening credits and Tears in Rain are like remakes of the originals tbh. Almost cover versions
    now I need to dig out my Vangelis CD and check it out
    Snap said:
    Having checked out Tears in Rain and Tears in the Rain I think the similarities are intentional.
    not a cover version, rather a piece created against an original theme. Not unlike my piece called Purple, which is an intentionally obvious hat tip to Red by King Crimson.

as a composer myself, the reasons for Tears in the Rain are clear (because even the title of the piece is far closer than just being similar).
    It provides continuity. Imagine a new Star Wars by a new composer without that iconic melody. I’d simply not work.
    Also, Zimmer’s soundtrack has captured the mood of the original perfectly. This is no accident. That Vangelis soundtrack is as much a part of the movie as the movie itself and the universe within which it lives. So 2048 needed to be created in its entirety from the same conceptual point of origin.
    and maybe in amongst all that, there’s simply a nice hat tip from Zimmer to Vangelis in recognition of the original work..

so my take is that  there is no ripping off or cover version stuff going on. 
    This is all carefully worked and filled with intent

edited November 2017
    Oh mate, I didn't for a moment think it was a rip off at all - more of a continuation. One of the most important things in the first film was the music: its inextricable from the whole film IMO. I totally agree with what you are saying.

From hwat I heard of the original 2049 score, by Johansson, this was even more evident, it was (again IMO) a perfect continuation, whereas I find the HZ score a bit jarring. Having said all that, I've yet to see the film, so you can't judge in separation really.

and to be totally honest, I woul;dn't even dare to judge Hans Zimmer. If I could do something anywhere near what he can, I'd be so happy.
    Snap said:
    Oh mate, I didn't for a moment think it was a rip off at all - more of a continuation. One of the most important things in the first film was the music: its inextricable from the whole film IMO. I totally agree with what you are saying.

From hwat I heard of the original 2049 score, by Johansson, this was even more evident, it was (again IMO) a perfect continuation, whereas I find the HZ score a bit jarring. Having said all that, I've yet to see the film, so you can't judge in separation really.

and to be totally honest, I woul;dn't even dare to judge Hans Zimmer. If I could do something anywhere near what he can, I'd be so happy.
    I did read somewhere that Johansson was the original choice but was later dropped in favour of Zimmer, but it never said why..
    I've not heard the Johansson soundtrack.. I'll try to track it down..
    you've got me all intrigued now..
    I managed to find one Blade Runner piece by Johansson
    very nice piece... but I wouldn't say it was better or worse than Zimmer... just different..
    one thing though.. there seemed to be an awful lot of very strong comments on the youtube page..
    some very strong anti-Zimmer stuff...
    and some very strong stuff defending Zimmer..
    it all seemed so crass and brutal on both sides...
    it's music for fk sake.. simply a form of entertainment..

funny... I've devoted a massive chunk of my life to playing and creating music..
    and I never feel the need to get that fired up about it...
    music either moves me or it don't.. 
    but it never makes me want to hurl abuse at anyone..
    craaaaazy...
    Yeah, but Clarky mate, the internet makes people weird.
     Also, Blade Runner geeks, the sort who'd make comments like that, are a bit obsessive too.

I feel the same as you do: I love music, love its diversity and the ability it has to fire up really powerful emotions. Amazing.
    Which probably why some people get so fired up about it.

I feel the same anger towards Roxette.

Roxette!!! no idea where that came from!!! C'mon join the joyride.........jesus h on a bike, shocking
    and another one, with abit of guitar in it, though mostly done with evolve/omnisphere2

Snap said:
    Yeah, but Clarky mate, the internet makes people weird.
     Also, Blade Runner geeks, the sort who'd make comments like that, are a bit obsessive too.

I feel the same as you do: I love music, love its diversity and the ability it has to fire up really powerful emotions. Amazing.
    Which probably why some people get so fired up about it.

I feel the same anger towards Roxette.

Roxette!!! no idea where that came from!!! C'mon join the joyride.........jesus h on a bike, shocking
    lmao

Snap said:
    and another one, with abit of guitar in it, though mostly done with evolve/omnisphere2

gotta say I'm liking the sound of Omni 2

this is a really nice piece....
    really like the atmospheric vibes..
    btw - your production skills are really improving
    cheers, I think its a bit heavy on the bottom end, too much low on the main pad I think.
    here's another piece..
    ok so on the surface it sounds like it's all guitars and stuff...
    well yes... it is... lol..
    so why is it in here??

it's the production method..
    I recorded lots of really short clips of riffs, guitar sounds and a few individual notes
    then I chopped them up, rearranged them and processed them..
    essentially, I made a rock song the same way they make dubstep using short samples
    the difference I guess is that I recorded my little audio samples myself rather than using a sample library

Snap said:
    cheers, I think its a bit heavy on the bottom end, too much low on the main pad I think.
    it don't sound bottom heavy on my monitors..
    sounds rich and full but not overly so..
    cool. Its fine on my monitors, but on a couple of other sources, I thought it was a bit "thick". Tbh I struggled with the pads, lot of low end, but wanted to keep some low down push as there is no real consistent bass line or kick.