Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

J45 / slope-shoulder alternatives?

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    kt66 said:

Yeah, I pickup one of these - it is a nice guitar. That picture seems to show a satin top, mine is gloss. Might just be a bad photo.

You can see min in this thread if you care! http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/46388/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You might be surprised but my M36 in classifieds ticks a lot of boxes.
  • You might be surprised but my M36 in classifieds ticks a lot of boxes.
    I would be! Looks nice but it’s a J45 I’m after, pretty sure I’m just going to keep things simole and end up with a Gibson one.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Have been through a myriad of J45 alternatives. Some lower end ones, and a bunch of really nice ones. Three different Collings CJ's, a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner, a Bourgeois Slope D, a custom made Slope D by Brook.

Summary from all of the above, and trying plenty of others, is that the only guitars that truly sound like J45's, are Gibson J45's. So I currently own one of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Used Gibson j45 true vintage. Lightweight cannon of a guitar. Love mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNine said:
    Have been through a myriad of J45 alternatives. Some lower end ones, and a bunch of really nice ones. Three different Collings CJ's, a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner, a Bourgeois Slope D, a custom made Slope D by Brook.

Summary from all of the above, and trying plenty of others, is that the only guitars that truly sound like J45's, are Gibson J45's. So I currently own one of them.
    A decent J45 is hard to come across but when it happens they are in their own world.  Which isn't to say the alternatives aren't good or exceptional guitars but the great Gibson J45's really have that character.  

There are a few 'boutique' builders who make phenomenal J45's but they are incredibly expensive.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    daddyash said:
    Used Gibson j45 true vintage. Lightweight cannon of a guitar. Love mine. 
    Wisdom awarded, although like all guitars there can be duds
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited December 2017
    Eastman E10SS! 
    Now that my Taylor’s sold I’ve been looking at these again - possibly even the V version with the french polish finish rather than nitro, though cosmetically I prefer the traditional sunburst on the normal one.

What’s your experience with them then?
  • CloudNine said:

Interesting... looks like you've worked your way through a bunch of impressive options. Which model J45 do you now own? Did you find a lot of variation in different Gibson J45s you played?

• Did you find a lot of variation in different Gibson J45s you played?
    I’m going to jump back in here and say I’ve found plenty of variation in them myself - the first one I played was a ~2005 model that was wonderful, everything I like in an acoustic. I’ve played a few more recent versions that were generally similar but none wowed me. I’ve also played an original ‘47 model that was absolutely amazing, still the best acoustic I’ve ever felt or heard.
    CloudNine said:

Interesting... looks like you've worked your way through a bunch of impressive options. Which model J45 do you now own? Did you find a lot of variation in different Gibson J45s you played?
    The J45's are unfortunately a bit variable... Definitely some good standard ones though if you look around, particularly more recent ones.

I ended up with a J45 Legend, which has a ludicrous price tag, but is fantastic.

Also had one of the 1934 Original Jumbo reissues, which was also fantastic in it's own way, but couldn't justify keeping both.
  • @CloudNine... thanks for the info. Not come across the model before - is it still in production? Is it similar to the current Vintage model... or is it a bit more up market?
    @Strat_a_tat_tat   It's out of production now. Some info in link below.

It was an attempt to, as near as possible, recreate a banner era J45. Based on a guitar that Gibson borrowed from some dude. Like I said, a really silly rrp, over $7k when they first came out I think.... 

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1942-J-45-Legend/Specs.aspx
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @CloudNine... wow... that link says rrp was $9030... compared with $3999 for a 2016 Vintage (the first year they added the thermally treated Adi top).  Best modern J45 I've played was a 2016 Vintage - mind you, not all of them have been great... some sounded less impressive than the standard (which are about half the price).

I'll look out for a Legend... if only to add it to my dream list!

• Eastman E10SS! 
    Now that my Taylor’s sold I’ve been looking at these again - possibly even the V version with the french polish finish rather than nitro, though cosmetically I prefer the traditional sunburst on the normal one.

What’s your experience with them then?

I nearly bought one last winter after spending several afternoons mucking around with a second-hand one they had in Ivor Maraints. Still slightly regret not buying it (I was after a full size rosewood dread and ended up getting a deal on an Eastman E8D from somewhere else). It was louder and more responsive than the J45s I've played, had a super comfortable and not too thin neck, and generally seemed really great, as have pretty much all the Eastmans I've tried. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    AliGorie said:
    Sloped 12 fret dread by Larrivée blew away everything of that type in the shop a few years ago including a Huss * Dalton (sp?) that was much more expensive. I'm a OM / Jumbo guy but that Larry would have been mine had I needed a guitar.
    We discussed theyre sloped dreads and 12 fretters on here a while back - anyone remember the model that so impressed me ?.
    SD60 (I have one in TSB)
    and SD50 I think
  • AliGorie said:
    Sloped 12 fret dread by Larrivée blew away everything of that type in the shop a few years ago including a Huss * Dalton (sp?) that was much more expensive. I'm a OM / Jumbo guy but that Larry would have been mine had I needed a guitar.
    We discussed theyre sloped dreads and 12 fretters on here a while back - anyone remember the model that so impressed me ?.
    SD60 (I have one in TSB)
    and SD50 I think
    25.5” scale though :(
  • AliGorie said:
    SD60 (I have one in TSB)
    and SD50 I think
    I had a TSB SD50 that I sold about a year ago.  Its a fantastic guitar and the only "D" guitar that I have played that could handle open tunings.  However, the neck was to wide for me (1"7/8th at the nut) but I kept it over 6 years hoping my hands might grow! Like most Larrys, punched well above its price point.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    AliGorie said:
    SD60 (I have one in TSB)
    and SD50 I think
    I had a TSB SD50 that I sold about a year ago.  Its a fantastic guitar and the only "D" guitar that I have played that could handle open tunings.  However, the neck was to wide for me (1"7/8th at the nut) but I kept it over 6 years hoping my hands might grow! Like most Larrys, punched well above its price point.
    The 1 and 7/8" nut is one reason I've kept it:
    very good for tunings like DGCGCD (The rain song, etc) where you want to play around the top frets and leave open strings vibrating
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Avalon Americana Dred - stunning guitar and better build than a Gibson
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)