Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Young player having fun

What's Hot

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    When I was a kid that age I spent hours playing football. Kicking it against a wall, playing with friends, watching games and going to sleep with my kit still on. This kids is a dedicated just with the guitar and more talent. The fact he is on YouTube is just the society we live in. As for judging someone's worthy ness to play the blues. Do we need to do background checks on the guitarist first before we can appreciate the music. Or can we just listen and judge?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    pia98jf said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

My fiancée lost her Mum only a few years older than this kid. I believe she’d have some choice words if you suggested she didn’t understand emotions around the loss of a loved one enough for her feelings to be valid!

So you can only truly play the blues if you lose your job and can’t lay off the booze?! 
    For it to be authentic and from the heart, yes. Otherwise it’s just mimicry like I said before. Of course it doesn’t have to be those examples I gave necessarily but some life experience at least.
    If he was writing lyrics I could see the point you're making (though would still disagree with it) but isn't he just playing guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    birdo said:
    When I was a kid that age I spent hours playing football. Kicking it against a wall, playing with friends, watching games and going to sleep with my kit still on. 
    Yeah but you’d never played in an FA Cup final so how authentic was it really? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2017
    randella said:
    Kid rips it up on loud overdriven guitar with raw talent, looking like he's thoroughly enjoying himself whilst he's at it.  Everything you'd think the participants on a guitar forum would approve of. 

Guitar forum says no playing until he's old and bitter, apparently then he'll have 'something to say'. And his parents are obviously shit to boot. 

Hell's teeth. 
    All of this.

Jesus Christ, you're some bitter old fuckers on here.

More power to the young lad if you ask me. He looks like he's enjoying himself, he's developing a style and performance technique of his own, he's reaching a wide audience and he's a fucking good player to boot - I only started at 11 and I'd have killed to be that good even several years later.

There's nothing to suggest this is any of his parents' doing - maybe he came up with the idea, and badgered them incessantly for help with recording or whatever else? If I was that good at that age, I know I would have - I'd probably have used every trick in the book to try and get myself out there. How else is he going to do it at his age? And even if they were pushing him, I'm pretty sure they'd let him stop if he wasn't enjoying it.

Lot of you need to get over yourselves.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    Well said ^

Shows how out of touch a lot of people are that the default assumption is pushy parents - there was a large scale survey done recently in which ‘YouTuber’ came out as one of - if not - the most popular dream job amongst schoolkids.

Most parents probably roll their eyes rather than encourage them when they say that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited December 2017
    With regards to the people getting angry and saying: "Give the kid a break ffs!" I don't think anyone is belittling him as a performer we were just highlighting the fact that with his high end guitars/amps/production this looks more than a child pursuing his passion. 

Yes it is a cynical point of view and maybe we do need to get over ourselves but I don't think anyone is saying: "He's not good enough" just that to become a performer at such a young age could cause problems with development in later life.  Nobody is denying this kid is clearly great at what he does but, for me, the "OH, HI...Glad you dropped by." shtick and the staging of the videos detracts from the kids clear talent.  It just feels a bit click baitish...

EDIT: Word choice.
    Arktik83 said:
    With regards to the people getting angry and saying: "Give the kid a break ffs!" I don't think anyone is belittling him as a performer we were just highlighting the fact that with his high end guitars/amps/production this looks more than a child pursuing his passion. 

Yes it is a cynical point of view and maybe we do need to get over ourselves but I don't think anyone is saying: "He's not good enough" just that to become a performer at such a young age could cause problems with development in later life.  Nobody is denying this kid is clearly great at what he does but, for me, the "OH, HI...Glad you dropped by." shtick and the staging of the videos detracts from the kids clear talent.  It just feels a bit click baitish...

Yeah fair point. But I think these days kids are a LOT more clued up that adults give them credit for about the potential value of having ‘followers’.

My newphew is about the same age and a good little footballer, and he has an Instagram page showing off his football boots and skills - it reads like an adult’s in terms of the language used etc, the ‘brand creation’ type stuff.

I think kids spend so much time watching this sort of content that they become pretty good at mimicking it when it comes their turn. 

• Amazing guitarist! Learned or just sheer ability, I don't think it matters, he plays superbly. Feeling and emotion comes with experience and I'm sure that'll come. Admit I'm slightly jealous of his Hamstead and nice guitars though!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Rocker said:
    Rabs said:
    I sometimes wonder when a kid is good at such a young age if they will actually just get bored of it all by the time they hit college or their first job..??

Yeah, life is for living, not spending every hour of the day playing a guitar.  A child has to develop social skills, play football, run around and things normal children do.  That is why videos like these make me wonder what kind of parent(s) the child has.
    thing is...
    he genuinely looks like he's enjoying himself..
    I didn't start playing until I was 12...
    and I remember never being able to put the guitar down..
    just a genuine love and fascination for guitar playing and music in general..
    so I totally see where he's at...
    that said... I didn't play at all when I was 11, let alone anything like that..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    thegummy said:
    pia98jf said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

My fiancée lost her Mum only a few years older than this kid. I believe she’d have some choice words if you suggested she didn’t understand emotions around the loss of a loved one enough for her feelings to be valid!

So you can only truly play the blues if you lose your job and can’t lay off the booze?! 
    For it to be authentic and from the heart, yes. Otherwise it’s just mimicry like I said before. Of course it doesn’t have to be those examples I gave necessarily but some life experience at least.
    If he was writing lyrics I could see the point you're making (though would still disagree with it) but isn't he just playing guitar?
    Might be worth thinking about why the greatest blues players are viewed as such then. There are far more technically able guitarists than B.B. King, Albert King etc. Would you rather listen to B.B. or Joe Bonamassa? I know which I’d choose.

Rocker said:
    dbphoto said:j
    I’m struggling to understand some of the negativity and assumptions being made here.
    Would you want your child spending all of his/her time playing guitar? To the exclusion of everything else a child does like playing games with other children?
    from the age of 12 onwards, that's largely what I did..
    the only person pushing was me..
    I know quite a few fellas that did the same..

the vid, how it was shot, the quality and his guitar collection is another thing though..
    pushy parents?? or a kid that love what he's doing and parents that enjoying helping and encouraging him?
    I guess we'll never know..

that Korean vid though is certainly [as already pointed out] a bit creepy..
    the playing is amazing considering the age..
    the choreography is kinda strange... typical communist national academy style politics behind that maybe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    Kid rips it up on loud overdriven guitar with raw talent, looking like he's thoroughly enjoying himself whilst he's at it.  Everything you'd think the participants on a guitar forum would approve of. 

Guitar forum says no playing until he's old and bitter, apparently then he'll have 'something to say'. And his parents are obviously shit to boot. 

Hell's teeth. 
    lol.....

thing is... to bend an A to a B in Em on the 3rd string at the 14th fret and do it well..
    you don't need to have had your wife run off with someone else, done time in the state pen, and spent your life drifting from state to state, destitute..
    or sell your soul to the devil.. lol..
    edited December 2017

pia98jf said:
    dbphoto said:
    Too young to know what the blues really means?

Pretentious nonsense I would say.

SRV played his first gig aged 11 if I remember correctly.
    So at 11 he knows about falling in/out love, getting your heart broken, losing your job, grief over lost loved ones, drug/drink addiction, money problems etc etc? Because that’s where authentic blues comes from.

Or are we just talking about generic blues by numbers?
    when learning to play.. we do so by example..
    irrespective of our life experiences..
    our initial attempts at playing are simply trying to emulate the music of our heroes..
    "standing on the shoulders of giants" if you will..
    you learn and develop via repertoire

so yes.. it's mimicry / playing by numbers / copying / emulating..
    but that's all part of the learning process.. it's perfectly normal..

classical players learn from scores written by the great composers as they work their way through the grades..
    and so it's no different for the blues'er kid learning via tab or by ear..
    he's using repertoire to learn and grow

and no doubt, he'll start writing from himself too at some point..
    again copying his heroes.. which is also normal..
    it takes time to develop your own unique voice..
    but playing / performing and composing are very different skills..
    I know many amazing players that cannot and do not write..
    and others that are 'good enough' players that are like song factories..

a thing to note: listen to early Beethoven or Schubert, it sounds very much like Mozart..
    the great master that preceded them..
    so... somethings have not changed in centuries..
    and it makes perfect sense to me

Bucket said:
    randella said:

Hell's teeth. 
    All of this.

Jesus Christ, you're some bitter old fuckers on here.

More power to the young lad if you ask me. He looks like he's enjoying himself, he's developing a style and performance technique of his own, he's reaching a wide audience and he's a fucking good player to boot - I only started at 11 and I'd have killed to be that good even several years later.

There's nothing to suggest this is any of his parents' doing - maybe he came up with the idea, and badgered them incessantly for help with recording or whatever else? If I was that good at that age, I know I would have - I'd probably have used every trick in the book to try and get myself out there. How else is he going to do it at his age? And even if they were pushing him, I'm pretty sure they'd let him stop if he wasn't enjoying it.

Lot of you need to get over yourselves.
    I love the way the kid drops in a few bum notes, looks up, smiles / laughs and plays right through it..
    that's not the sign of someone under any pressure..
    in fact, it's a great attribute.. one I remind my students of often..
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited December 2017
    Clarky said:

I love the way the kid drops in a few bum notes, looks up, smiles / laughs and plays right through it..
    That was nervous smile, because he KNOWS that's a paddlin' - His poppa gon' be mad as.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Schnozz said:
    Clarky said:

That was nervous smile, because he KNOWS that's a paddlin' - His poppa gon' be mad as.
    Could be a great life experience around which to write authentic blues

My Daddy gon’ gimme a paddlin’
    I hit a G sharp not a G
    I done lost a thousand subscribers
    Oh my Daddy gon’ be mad at me
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Schnozz said:
    Clarky said:

Could be a great life experience around which to write authentic blues

My Daddy gon’ gimme a paddlin’
    I hit a G sharp not a G
    I done lost a thousand subscribers
    Oh my Daddy gon’ be mad at me
    When he's older he's going to have all those magnificent life experiences like the rest of us.

Woke up this mornin'
    Mildly worried about my job
    Got stuck in traffic on the M60
    Don't know what's for dinner later.  I might allow for the increase in supernarket food prices of late by having corn on the cob.

Robert Johnson's shitting himself I hear.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited December 2017
    Arktik83 said:

Yep, I agree with this.  I can picture the dad behind the camera, complete with unfulfilled dreams of being a famous guitarist himself, living up his fantasies through his son, by giving him or buying him loads of expensive Gibsons and Hamsteads and sticking a camera in his face.

The hammy persona really, really grates on me.  I think one can tell between a child's natural enthusiasm and something like this, where he's clearly been trained on how someone thinks is the right way to behave in front of a camera.  I would generally be really enthusiastic to see a young guy play so well, but somehow the whole thing is deeply offputting.  I just can't enjoy it.

There's nothing better than seeing a kid do well, but you can go too far with the flashiness, and this little guy has jumped the shark already with his manner and his ridiculous clothes.

The sooner he develops a personality of his own, rather than being pushed in a certain direction, the better.  I refuse to believe he came up with this stuff of his own accord.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Just wait until he discovers booze and women.
  • I tried to find the local paper article I read about him a few years ago, closest I got was this
    http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/toby-lee-ready-rock-world-8579356