Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Neill Have you tried "t'other way oop"? I understand Dave Kilminster started as a lefty but had to relearn as a righty after damaging his hand go-karting... How he then manages the multidfinger pick-hand tapping, I dunno. :confused:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am a guitar player and partner in GuitarBox which I set up with my wife to showcase hand built boutique guitar effects. I joined Fretboard a few years ago to join in discussions on guitar effects but haven't participated recently due to building our small business. I am always interested in hearing about new pedals and other players' experiences. 

No specific suggestions / requests at the moment, may come back later :)
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    DLM said:
    @Neill Have you tried "t'other way oop"? I understand Dave Kilminster started as a lefty but had to relearn as a righty after damaging his hand go-karting... How he then manages the multidfinger pick-hand tapping, I dunno. :confused:
    Funnily enough I did think about it but I'm a bit long in the tooth, also I've heard of many examples of left handed players switching to right hand but I don't know any who have done it the other way round.

On the positive side it does of course give me a good excuse for my poor technique  :)
  • I joined mainly because I'm one of those annoying people who buys too many guitars despite not really being able to play them, I'm a bass player really so I have decided to concentrate on my bass playing and sell the guitars that are cluttering up my room even though they look lovely! I figure it is also very useful being part of such a forum as I often have technical (and sometimes untechnical questions) I want to ask and instead of constantly pestering the excellent luthier who des all my set ups and work for me I thought I could ask here first.
  • I joined on the advice of @CasperCaster after lurking for a while.  Found it a useful resource of knowledge and information with some fantastic threads on building and assembling.  I have few nice guitars but in order to get the next one, I usually have to sell something first.  After selling a nice Gretsch I've been through a good few guitars over the last couple of years, with some dealings on the very forum.

Despite attempting to reduce my collection I now have more than ever and am about to get one more having bought one of the teles from GSP's Black Friday sale (build thread to follow - however I will be outsourcing at least the finishing of the body as this is just too nice to not get the best finish I can).

• Hi folks,
    I'm Graham, a former copper and now FREE lance music journalist and photographer/videographer. If anyone reads Blues In Britain they will have seen me pretty much every month for the last 3 or 4 years.
    I just combined my 2 loves of photography and the blues to make a really great hobby. I average about 100 gigs a year including 2 or 3 festivals
  • Why am I here? Because the forum got a mention in this month's Guitar Techniques magazine Talkback section. 

I'm here to hang out and maybe meet up with some local musicians (South Staffs area). I'll add to this post after I've had more time to look around the forum.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

The Ethical

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • Hi ,  Thanks for the add ! I worked at Top Gear , the first shop on Denmark Street (1969) and hub to many of the major guitarists during that golden era . There's a lot of information and opinion out there based on more recent times on Tin Pan Alley but little on the era when it really had an impact on music so I started this FB page . if anyone has stories or pics please feel free to post. https://www.facebook.com/Top-Gear-Music-London-289183784906634/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I joined because I'd just started to learn and it was the first UK forum that showed up in Google. 
     I'm looking for NSA fun with hot chix but I think the odds are against me  (and indeed anywhere else)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I joined because I’m putting together a partscaster, and every time I searched for tips, I ended up here. I thought I might as well sign up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I joined  back in 2015 because I thought MD phillips was so bizarre and funny I did some research on the net and the discussions here were the ton hits :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I can remember as far back as the Intermusic days lived through the Music Radar years and when that fell over I was glad that a rescue was affected and ended up here. Mainly I am here for the technical discussions, the banter is generally good and I like the classifieds. It has been really useful to me to have such great technical people here that can help with problems. @ICBM ; helped me mod my Jet City head even though he is about 300 miles from where I live.
    The forum meet ups are great fun and I have made some good friends here.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Joined because Europe is really lacking a nice second hand gear platform (not a lot going on at Reverb.com) and noticed an abundance of classifieds in here.
  • Just found The Fretboard by chance on a search engine.

Seems like a better method of looking for pre-owned gear that I was actually interested in rather than having to trawl through 10 Facebook marketplace groups.
  • OakieOakie Frets: 4
    I've been reading posts on here for some years know so thought I'd join.  I find TGP a bit too elitist  and the posts on here seem friendlier and replies less hostile!!  It's just a good platform for all things guitar. 
  • I'm mostly off-topic now, as I am down to one acoustic guitar that I have no need or desire or finances to add to or upgrade. I originally joined for buying/selling purposes though. Playing well / playing live / having money for big investments in kit is like a foreign country to me.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Pedals....pedals. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robbierobbie Frets: 16
    Hey, All. Names Robin, Brixham is home (an odd thing given Ive rarely stayed put in one place for more that two/ three years - forces kid), am late 50s and semi retired - semi as in Ive yet to find the enthusiasm to look for something worthwhile. Spent 35 years up in Town in advertising, creative services and communications, working throughout the UK, Europe and the US. Youve got to love those Americans. Contrary to the nature of the business and my being front of shop, I have limited patience for the innanities of social media channels, Twitter being a case in point. That said, Im chuffed to be here, though have lurked a good while. Why am I here? I have a sweet tooth for complete immersion in all things amp, guitar, pedals, leads, picks, strings, components, history, lore, build and everything related that might be thrown my way. Where better to pick these things up than thefretboard and thanks for having me. Cheers
  • Hope this is the right place, couldn't find the 'Introduce yourself' area.
    I found this site whilst looking for ways to set up my guitar, the site looked interesting so decided to join.
    I've decided to learn to play a guitar after wasting my life working...
    I'm now retired , so have a bit of time on my hands to dedicate myself.
    Not finding it easy though, fingers not as flexible as they once were.
    The main reason I decided to start now:
    I was given a Santos Martinez acoustic by a neighbour and after a few tuneless noises decided it would be nice to actually make some real music, so started looking at You Tube for inspiration.
    One of the first things I became aware of was a thing called 'SET UP' and just how NOT set-up my guitar was.
    Looking at the guitar the nylon strings near the top (the NUT) at the first fret are about 1.5mm and at the 12th fret about 9mm this makes the playing hard on the fingers - I had thought that it was me until I read a few articles about playability, etc.
    My guitar has no truss rod, so I can't move the neck, (the neck is straight though) the bridge has the bone and I think that's the only movement I can alter.
    I don't want to wreck the sound because it actually sounds nice and suits the music I want to play ( soft gentle country / folk finger picking) so some ideas would be welcome especially from those 'who been there etc' and got the tee shirt.
    I have also now acquired an electric guitar, a cheap Jaxville which also needs a good looking at but sounds very reasonable considering it's pedigree.
    Thanks if you've stayed with me this far.
    All the best
    George