Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Young player having fun

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    randella said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Schnozz said:
    Clarky said:

I love the way the kid drops in a few bum notes, looks up, smiles / laughs and plays right through it..
    that's not the sign of someone under any pressure..
    in fact, it's a great attribute.. one I remind my students of often..
    That was nervous smile, because he KNOWS that's a paddlin' - His poppa gon' be mad as.
    Could be a great life experience around which to write authentic blues

My Daddy gon’ gimme a paddlin’
    I hit a G sharp not a G
    I done lost a thousand subscribers
    Oh my Daddy gon’ be mad at me
    When he's older he's going to have all those magnificent life experiences like the rest of us.

Woke up this mornin'
    Mildly worried about my job
    Got stuck in traffic on the M60
    Don't know what's for dinner later.  I might allow for the increase in supernarket food prices of late by having corn on the cob.

Robert Johnson's shitting himself I hear.
    have a wis
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

pia98jf said:
    Why are you guys wasting your time on a guitar forum when clearly a career in comedy beckons?
    well.....
    the G# instead of a G thing mentioned above...
    I did exactly that - hit a G# instead of a G in the key of Em due to a little drying sweat making the neck sticky - at an open air festival in Germany back in July..
    dropping a nice little bomb like that during a solo in a ballad in front of 25k people was.. erm.. comedy enough for me..
    new years resolution on the way...
    try not to be quite that funny in 2018... lol

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Arktik83 said:
    With regards to the people getting angry and saying: "Give the kid a break ffs!" I don't think anyone is belittling him as a performer we were just highlighting the fact that with his high end guitars/amps/production this looks more than a child pursuing his passion. 

Yes it is a cynical point of view and maybe we do need to get over ourselves but I don't think anyone is saying: "He's not good enough" just that to become a performer at such a young age could cause problems with development in later life.  Nobody is denying this kid is clearly great at what he does but, for me, the "OH, HI...Glad you dropped by." shtick and the staging of the videos detracts from the kids clear talent.  It just feels a bit click baitish...

EDIT: Word choice.
    Yep, I agree with this.  I can picture the dad behind the camera, complete with unfulfilled dreams of being a famous guitarist himself, living up his fantasies through his son, by giving him or buying him loads of expensive Gibsons and Hamsteads and sticking a camera in his face.

The hammy persona really, really grates on me.  I think one can tell between a child's natural enthusiasm and something like this, where he's clearly been trained on how someone thinks is the right way to behave in front of a camera.  I would generally be really enthusiastic to see a young guy play so well, but somehow the whole thing is deeply offputting.  I just can't enjoy it.

There's nothing better than seeing a kid do well, but you can go too far with the flashiness, and this little guy has jumped the shark already with his manner and his ridiculous clothes.

The sooner he develops a personality of his own, rather than being pushed in a certain direction, the better.  I refuse to believe he came up with this stuff of his own accord.
    alternatively....
    dad behind the camera, don't know a Gibson from a Fender..
    not a muso at all.. but is a pretty successful fella and is pretty well off.. 
    wants his kid to do his best / have the best stuff to do it with and is more than willing to lend a hand in any way he can..
    and dad seeing his kid do all this amazing music stuff makes him feel immensely proud..

not much different to the dad that's never seriously played footie running up and down the touch line all excited, shouting encouragement every time his kid gets the ball..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Clarky said:

I love the way the kid drops in a few bum notes, looks up, smiles / laughs and plays right through it..

Exactly this. Its the first thing I noticed and an exceptional quality that will stand him in good stead. The kid is clearly enjoying himself, the cheeky smile at the camera when he hits a bum note suggests he doesn't really care. It doesn't scream of anyone under intense pressure to me, surely his 'pushy parents' wouldn't upload it if it wasn't perfect?

For all we know the kids dad is a millionaire banker who buys his kids affection as he's never there and the mother seeks comfort in the gardener, butler, milkman, teacher, anyone going and the little kid hasn't been shielded from this and has intense pain inside that he channels through his guitar playing. Sounds like blues to me whatever the age.

Who cares though, it sounds good.

It reminds me of when I saw Alter Bridge in Edinburgh. During the soundcheck I video'd the song 'Show me a leader' and thought Tremonti nailed it. Watching the video I realised he made a good few mistakes in the solo, played the wrong chord in a verse... I never noticed at the time because his stage presence has you mesmerised. And why? Because he is always smiling, always looking like he is loving every second and it make you love every second and ignore tiny errors. You've got to enjoy it, and this kid clearly does

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    chrishill901 said:

For all we know the kids dad is a millionaire banker who buys his kids affection as he's never there and the mother seeks comfort in the gardener, butler, milkman, teacher, anyone going and the little kid hasn't been shielded from this and has intense pain inside that he channels through his guitar playing. Sounds like blues to me whatever the age.
    @chrishill901 We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen. @Sambostar's not been around as much lately, and the kid's been exposed to a wholly indecent amount of hair metal/rebel country.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    A few people need to read their Albert Murray before going on about what is and isn't "the blues".
  • Rocker said:
    Rabs said:
    I sometimes wonder when a kid is good at such a young age if they will actually just get bored of it all by the time they hit college or their first job..??

Yeah, life is for living, not spending every hour of the day playing a guitar.  A child has to develop social skills, play football, run around and things normal children do.  That is why videos like these make me wonder what kind of parent(s) the child has.
    It's a fucking good job Guthrie Govan, Dave Killminster etc didn't follow your advise. It' perfectly possible for kids to get addicted to something and throw their souls into it.

How dare you be so fucking judgemental.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rocker said:
    dbphoto said:j
    I’m struggling to understand some of the negativity and assumptions being made here.
    Would you want your child spending all of his/her time playing guitar? To the exclusion of everything else a child does like playing games with other children?
    Who says that he does.? He obviously goes to school and for all you know plays football ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bucket said:
    randella said:
    Kid rips it up on loud overdriven guitar with raw talent, looking like he's thoroughly enjoying himself whilst he's at it.  Everything you'd think the participants on a guitar forum would approve of. 

Guitar forum says no playing until he's old and bitter, apparently then he'll have 'something to say'. And his parents are obviously shit to boot. 

Hell's teeth. 
    All of this.

Jesus Christ, you're some bitter old fuckers on here.

More power to the young lad if you ask me. He looks like he's enjoying himself, he's developing a style and performance technique of his own, he's reaching a wide audience and he's a fucking good player to boot - I only started at 11 and I'd have killed to be that good even several years later.

There's nothing to suggest this is any of his parents' doing - maybe he came up with the idea, and badgered them incessantly for help with recording or whatever else? If I was that good at that age, I know I would have - I'd probably have used every trick in the book to try and get myself out there. How else is he going to do it at his age? And even if they were pushing him, I'm pretty sure they'd let him stop if he wasn't enjoying it.

Lot of you need to get over yourselves.
    I'm an old fucker but I'm not bitter ... drink the odd pint though .. :-)

I've seen the kid on YouTube and I like him .. kids are always obsessed with something be it music, football or whatever. I don't get the hate or Dickensian views ... lighten up.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Clarky said:

This^^^.  This tells me he is genuinely enjoying himself.  Letting rip with an ocean of talent and ability.  Can't wait to see what he does when he's had all the broken hearted shattered dreams, alcohol and drug addiction issues and record company treachery a true bluesman needs... :D

Truth be told, I think he's pretty chuffing great.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    You pile in on this kid for not knowing what it really means to have "the blues"...

But you all love Clapton don't you? A comfortably well-off white man from Surrey. Last time I checked, never enslaved by anyone.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    Bucket said:
    You pile in on this kid for not knowing what it really means to have "the blues"...

But you all love Clapton don't you? A comfortably well-off white man from Surrey. Last time I checked, never enslaved by anyone.
    Do you actually know anything about Clapton’s life?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:

Exactly this. Its the first thing I noticed and an exceptional quality that will stand him in good stead. The kid is clearly enjoying himself, the cheeky smile at the camera when he hits a bum note suggests he doesn't really care. It doesn't scream of anyone under intense pressure to me, surely his 'pushy parents' wouldn't upload it if it wasn't perfect?

Who cares though, it sounds good.

It reminds me of when I saw Alter Bridge in Edinburgh. During the soundcheck I video'd the song 'Show me a leader' and thought Tremonti nailed it. Watching the video I realised he made a good few mistakes in the solo, played the wrong chord in a verse... I never noticed at the time because his stage presence has you mesmerised. And why? Because he is always smiling, always looking like he is loving every second and it make you love every second and ignore tiny errors. You've got to enjoy it, and this kid clearly does
    have a wis for the deceive work...
    wife in the conservatory with the candle stick 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Bucket said:

Do some research - you might be surprised. 

pia98jf said:
    Bucket said:

jeez...
    no matter what the style of music... it's just notes...

you really don't have to have had a dreadful life to be able to play with tremendous feel and passion..
    you simply have to have the ability to feel the music, play from the heart and be able to project it..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Clarky said:

pia98jf said:
    Bucket said:

jeez...
    no matter what the style of music... it's just notes...

you really don't have to have had a dreadful life to be able to play with tremendous feel and passion..
    you simply have to have the ability to feel the music, play from the heart and be able to project it..
    Absolutely. Some people can just channel emotion into music. It's a gift and in my opinion upbringing has little to do with it.

It also doesn't have to hardship and heart wrenching. Some people can channel pure joy into their music.
    pia98jf said:
    Bucket said:

I know enough to remember that despite ripping off a black style of music for a living, he thinks Enoch was right.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader

That man went through something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...  Which this song is about

edited December 2017
    Rabs said:

That man went through something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...  Which this song is about

I'm not denying that it's tragic.

Although I think it's a cheap shot to bring that up to try and make me look insensitive, when all of that happened decades after he had already built a career on ripping off black blues players, and also a long time after he expressed a desire for black people to be sent back to "where they came from". His late son was ten years from even being born when he said that. So as sad as it is, don't try to tell me it has any relevance to what I'm saying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    edited December 2017
    I often wonder if I would be better if I had the resources available to kids these days.  Probably not, I am just not that talented.  

But I do think you have to consider that kids today have easy access to a massive amount of high quality tuition.  They will still need dedication and talent, not trying to take away from that.  But imagine how far they can go with dedication, talent... and that massive resource?

Wanna learn something new, anything,  go to YouTube and watch a few vids and you will be on your way.   Most kids will have better google skills than you too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom