Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Perpetual pedal prevarication

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
edited December 2017 in FX
A quick survey, because I'm positive I'm not the only one.

I have currently my 3rd H9 Max...as in for the third time I own just one, having bought and sold two before. I've also tried the H9 Core pairing thing a couple of times...changed my mind. I put the H9 on my sales thread... but I've done it before and regretted it. And now I'm rethinking AGAIN. By far, it is the pedal I've changed my mind so stupidly and so often about.

I suppose it stems really from not being sure how I'm really going to use it, and scrolling through options, making myself option-blind, wondering what I'm doing with one, but then thinking, "of course you can, it sounds great and can be almost any effect you want it to be." And so on.

Yes, with the H9's resale value (especially the Max) it's also a costly business, but overall this is not a source of frustration to me, it's just daft and first-world-problems and pretty funny and seemingly how GAS sometimes works. I think this stage is called "acceptance".

Just to reassure me that I'm not the only indecisive eejit on here, which pedal(s) have you bought and sold several times? And be honest about it. I've seen a number of repeat offenders on here...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I don’t know ... that is pretty unique...
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Mesa V-Twin, Boss ME-50 - 3 of each. (Currently have the Boss, not the Mesa.)

Boss OS-2, about 5 I think...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’ve got a Vtwin I don’t use ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't ever sold and repurchased.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Cabicular said:
    I’ve got a Vtwin I don’t use ...
    Let someone else have it :) - I've moved on from it now. Great pedal, but not the sound I need any more really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    3 MXR Distortion+
    3 OD-2
  • The only one is the moog clusterflux. Having had two, I'm sure my first one was not functioning properly as the 2nd is beautiful.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited December 2017
    Cabicular said:
    I don’t know ... that is pretty unique...
    It is a rare thing on here to see someone buy the same OD seven times and give an in-depth explanation each time as to why they're buying it again... you just never see that
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited December 2017

I haven't ever sold and repurchased.
    Then you are the chosen one!

Or just sensible.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    I've done the same thing with the H9. i decided to rebut this time because i now use the morningstar MC6 midi controller and it has unlocked the H9 massively, to the point where you could gig with it easily without  struggling to get presets to work.

Full disclosure, i liked the MC6 so much that i imported them and now sell them on my website.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Pedals I've sold and re-bought are the MXR Phase 100, Ibanez FL-9 (ok, I bought the FLL, but it's the same circuit) and Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I will probably re-buy the Boss DF-2 and CS-2, plus the JHS Digitec S1024 Digital Delay rack.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I've had a Timefactor 3 times, and I'd have another if Empress weren't doing such clever things. Since buying the Echosystem I don't want another Timefactor. 

You have to ask yourself why you have sold them (just money? something about the sounds? the UI?). Then you need to ask yourself why you're buying them again (presumably something in the H9 you can't get with other pedals?)

For me, I was repeating TFs because it was the most flexible & best sounding delay that would do stereo/parallel delays with maximum flexibility. I stopped worrying when the Echosystem arrived and did the same thing but even better. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TC Nova System, I think at the last count I'd bought and sold around 10 or so. I'm currently running an ampless setup using an Atomic Amplifire 12, but if I were to switch back to an amp (I'm thinking about it again!!) then I would definitely consider another Nova to run in the effects loop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frictionfractionfrictionfraction Frets: 402
    edited December 2017

I have currently my 3rd H9 Max...as in for the third time I own just one, having bought and sold two before. I've also tried the H9 Core pairing thing a couple of times...changed my mind. I put the H9 on my sales thread... but I've done it before and regretted it. And now I'm rethinking AGAIN. By far, it is the pedal I've changed my mind so stupidly and so often about.

I suppose it stems really from not being sure how I'm really going to use it, and scrolling through options, making myself option-blind, wondering what I'm doing with one, but then thinking, "of course you can, it sounds great and can be almost any effect you want it to be." And so on.

Yes, with the H9's resale value (especially the Max) it's also a costly business, but overall this is not a source of frustration to me, it's just daft and first-world-problems and pretty funny and seemingly how GAS sometimes works. I think this stage is called "acceptance".

Just to reassure me that I'm not the only indecisive eejit on here, which pedal(s) have you bought and sold several times? And be honest about it. I've seen a number of repeat offenders on here...
    The freedom that confession brings!!! Feel no more shame. 
    Fulltone FD2, Boss DD3, KOT, suhr Kokomo boost...... the list goes on
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Many Kingsleys

• slackerslacker Frets: 2215

The freedom that confession brings!!! Feel no more shame. 
    Fulltone FD2, Boss DD3, KOT, suhr Kokomo boost...... the list goes on
    I ve not bought an h9 because I'll worry that I won't be able to use it, I can barely work my phone.

're over drives I have a klon king of tone full drive 2 and a Friedman be. I'm always rotating and I've barely used the klon this year.I've used the f2fm once. Ive also got a fuzz factory, barely used it for 10 years. Not selling stops the cycle.

To marry the two ideas, I suggest you keep the h9 and buy something simple to use. I've got a dmm which is versatile and I work with my feet. Keeley does some multi pedals,  etc.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited December 2017
    Well, I'm a proven tool...

- Strymon TImeline - bought one 3 times (and about to re-buy again)

- Eventide H9 - twice

- Strymon El Cap - 3 times

- Bearfoot Model H - twice

- M&S Chocolate biscuits - immeasurable 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    EHX Memory Man w Harazai. Tried it three times. I love the sounds but can't get on with the operating system.
  • None here either. Thankfully for my bank (in)balance, despite my love of all things Pedal, I tend to be pretty decisive. 

That said, I’d have absolutely no problem with owning another Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I sold most of my pedals a couple of years ago for financial reasons, and have since bought three of the ones I sold, if that counts ?

Rainbow Machine
    Count To Five
    BitQuest

no intention of selling anything I have now unless I have to.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister