Slap on a shorter scale bass?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
Very long, boring backstory I'll skip over but in my head doing slap/ funk type stuff on a shorter scale bass ( like the 30" Jaguar) just doesn't work, the physics aren't right. Or is it fine or fine with some adjustment ( somehow)?  
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What exactly is the problem you are having?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    It might help to know exactly what make/model of short scale bass guitar you play and what string gauges you have on it. 

Generally, the playing feel is a set-up matter. The sound is a result of numerous contributory factors. Cheap materials, hardware and pickups could all lead to disappointment.

Be seeing you.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Okay, this is part of my apparently endless pursuit for another bass that’s primarily for my son and a bit for me. He plays in an indie covers band but when he’s not doing that he’s playing Royal Blood and RHCP covers. So he quite likes the idea of a shorter scale bass ( as opposed to our current jazz bass copy) for those Royal Blood moments and because he feels it would generally suit him better. But my sense is that it wouldn’t work for the Flea-slap stuff? 
    I suggest hunting a pre-owned example of the Squier Mikey Way Mustang Bass. When funds allow, upgrade the pickup and controls with one of the EMG-35 series models.

There was a short scale version of the FLEAbass but I am purposely not recommending that because the materials are so piss poor.

Be seeing you.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Not seen the Mikey Way before, looks cool :open_mouth: 
  • Ideally, slap bass shouldn't be permitted to work on any bass, regardless of scale length.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Ideally, slap bass shouldn't be permitted to work on any bass, regardless of scale length.
    I am in total agreement.

If I were an MP my private members bill would be a ban on slap in all forms.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Yeah yeah yeah:D , slap bass is amazing and done right is totally groovy,  anyone who says they hate it are only saying that because the technique eludes them :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah yeah yeah:D , slap bass is amazing and done right is totally groovy,  anyone who says they hate it are only saying that because the technique eludes them :D 
    I prefer to concentrate my efforts on the traditional art of finger style, with an occasional trip into picking.. I just don't like the way slap sounds...
    We don't want to hear about you, slappin' yo' member. ;)

Be seeing you.
  • Sounds like an excuse for some gratuitous slap overload videos : >

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Don't worry @Bridgehouse I'm only messing, I know you 100% got the groove! 
    Don't worry @Bridgehouse I'm only messing, I know you 100% got the groove! 
    I'm not sure about that - what does this groove look like?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    There was a short scale version of the FLEAbass but I am purposely not recommending that because the materials are so piss poor.

Having recently tried to sort one of these out I would concur with this 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited December 2017
    Scott Whitley manages ok on his short scale bass, slap happiness happens at 1:40.......quite an old vid, his own design short scales are now made by Chowny, I believe...

a link is helpful!!.....link fixed!.......I really dont like slap bass!......

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Ideally, slap bass shouldn't be permitted to work on any bass, regardless of scale length.
    I am in total agreement.

@Bridgehouse @MattBanshee I just checked the official list and was mortified to discover that there are no penalties at all defined for slapping! :scream:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13524/

:lol: