Yay me! **Warning, contains potential vomit inducing details some may not be able to handle**

Just thought id share, as I ended last night being quite chuffed with myself :)

I wanted to surprise my Wife with a gift which was personal, and something outside of the normal (for me) Christmassy type gifts. So, I decided to try and play and record/burn to CD, an instrumental version of the song that was our first dance at our Wedding reception. I have a quick search around t'internet  but couldn't find an appropriate tab (cant read music), as the artist never performed it in that way. Id essentially be replacing vocals with guitar. Im sure there must be instrumental versions out there, but weirdly, I wanted as little 'help' as possible :) so didn't make an effort to search them out.

Last night I set about trying to work it out by ear, which is something ive never done before, and it actually turned out ok. I haven't worked out the whole song yet, but I do have the verses down, and the main chorus, which was way more than I thought id be able to do when I picked the guitar up last night. Its going to take a lot of practise to get it sounding polished as I still have fingers that like to wander off and do their own thing at times, but ill get there.

Anyway, just thought id share, as its reading the advice people on here have given to others in the past that helped me reach the decision to try it. Ill post a link to the recording as soon as I can do a good enough job of it.

...oh by the way, the song is 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perry.

...told you it could be vomit inducing :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I learned to play mostly by ear, and then about 15 years into it I learned to read and understand music theory, even though I was already playing in a working band.   I don't regret it at all, having both skills really helps me compose and communicate and I encourage all of my students to try to learn songs by ear along with learning to read.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Nikko said:

<big snip>

...oh by the way, the song is 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perry.

...told you it could be vomit inducing :)

I was introduced to this song by my cellist neighbour. She plays with her pianist sister as a duo for weddings, etc. (they do the "classy" reception and ceremony stuff before the party/dancing starts and the function band takes over). 

I recorded them playing some tracks for a promo demo and this is one of the things they recorded. I had no idea what it was, but it's a beautiful melody line when played by a cello and without the lyrics.