Speakers for acoustic duo

What's Hot
I play in an acoustic guitar duo that is considering what speakers to buy for gigs in small pubs and hotel bars. We've got a mixer, so just looking for speakers. I was thinking about a pair of Alto TX12, my mate suggested the Alto Trouper. Can anyone comment on these choices? Is there anything else around the same price point (|£400) we should be considering?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    So it's just guitar and vox?  That does free you up a bit if you don't need stuff below say 80Hz.  Alto is known as a good value brand.  I don't know the Alto Trouper but the format looks good.  It has a little on board mixer so your paying for that and you don't need it. 
  • Have a look at the HK Nano range sound miles better than the Alto's and should be some deals around at the moment
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    Agreed, I just missed an HK Nano 600 for £350 on Facebook, that would've been perfect. 

I just spent £750 on a JBL Eon One for our duo, though it's doubling as the vocal PA in our five piece. 

Having started gigging with it I'd never go back to conventional cabs tbh, it just sounds fantastic and you can hear it absolutely everywhere, no need for any monitoring at all. 

It just refuses to feedback too, it's solved every small venue problem I ever had. 
  • Thanks for your inputs. I'm now trying to understand the practical difference between different sizes of speaker. Looking at the Alto TX range, there are the TX8 (280 W peak, 113dB), TX10 (280 W peak, 116 dB), TX12 (600 W peak, 118 dB) and TX15 (600 W peak, 119 dB). Which would be best suited to an acoustic duo playing to, say, 100 people? (I won't necessarily go for an Alto solution, but other suppliers have similar ranges.)

Is it reasonable to say that (within limits) you never go wrong if you buy the biggest?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    Others here are far more knowledgeable than me, but I'd go for high quality 10s over cheaper 12s, and I wouldn't go for 15s at any price for your purposes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Others here are far more knowledgeable than me, but I'd go for high quality 10s over cheaper 12s, and I wouldn't go for 15s at any price for your purposes. 
    Cool - thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    p90fool said:
    +1

Despite the fashion of the last 20+ years, single cabs with 15s are a bad idea. If you need more bass than you can get with 10s or 12s, you need a separate sub bass bin and not 15s in the main cabs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2017
    You're budget is tight. A decent set of 10's probably best for you IMO. A simple 12" sub could be added later if you want more oomf.  A well integrated bass bin doesn't just add bass but also gives the tops a little bit more headroom.

I wouldn't touch the Alto TX range TBH. Their TS range are decent value for money I guess.  dB Technologies is another good budget brand (they are linked to RCF).  At that price point don't expect decent amp modules or drivers.

Have you considered just running a single speaker mono and then get another one as soon as funds allow. Really big difference between a £200 and £400 active speaker.

That gets you into the likes of the Yamaha DXR10 or RCF Art 710A. These have pretty solid amp amount modules and drivers.  Used within their limits, they are very goid and crazy value for money in real terms.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom