The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    What about something from the blue spectrum? You hardly ever see a blue burst LP...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    i don;t mind a primary colour LP, but its not what I am after here.   I do keep thinking about a pelham blue top though

These will be vintage styled, not vintage accurate.   I am sticking to warm colours and a bit of wear

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Been offline a bit, but I like what you are proposing.  I have a tobacco sunburst 58 replica and love the look.  Mid you I have the Epiphone JB Oxblood, so would have voted for that (with humbuckers).
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Ohh yeah.. I love a good dark burst... I have a LP Classic, it was my first standard level Gibson and it was always going to be a dark burst.. Im not even sure i like cherry burst. It depends on the exact hue

This is my one  D

https://i.imgur.com/RRPD0JK.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PhilKing said:
    Been offline a bit, but I like what you are proposing.  I have a tobacco sunburst 58 replica and love the look.  Mid you I have the Epiphone JB Oxblood, so would have voted for that (with humbuckers).
    Did you get all the guitars moved safely?
    Yes, I had only one issue - my wife realized how many there really are!  The movers were actually great.  Mind you they had just moved someone who had a lot of guitars, including an original 1958 Les Paul!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    2 things really do appeal to me.  Wraparound bridges and oxblood finishes...  but I don’t think a JB style Les Paul will happen next year.

i really like the thinline custom idea and it gets me two steps closer to building a blingy Ibanez GB10 style build.  so trapeze on that makes sense.  It will be a hardwood carved top rather than spruce I think, but gives me chance to practice carving a top inside and out.... and there is the multiply binding which I consider a nemesis.  

i like the idea of a burst but not too standard, so maybe wraparound and P-90’s on that one with the rippled sycamore top and dark burst.

everyone who played the recent goldtop liked the pickup choice as an alternative to the norm, so they may feature again too

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited December 2017
    What about this?

• What about combining the ‘best’ (my favourite bits) of them all... oxblood wrap around and p90 sporting thinline, with a lovely flame peeping through the oxblood?
    What about this?

I have nothing against gold bigsbys, except the cost!!
    edited December 2017
    What about combining the ‘best’ (my favourite bits) of them all... oxblood wrap around and p90 sporting thinline, with a lovely flame peeping through the oxblood?
    If I do a thinline it will be a second guitar..  that will be a bit of a challenge 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    normula1 said:
    i am tempted by some  kind of GF, but probably a mojo version

You've had quite a few of Marc's to try, so I'm sure that his P-90 sized will be great (you have a filtertron one, which will probably sound similar.   What about one like Neil Young's Old Black:

I could get very excited about doing an old black, but then I look at the back and change my mind

i have considered a metal inlay, not sure it’s the right solution though
    Would you want to make a replica though?   I don't think the stripe adds anything to the guitar (just makes it look like it came off worse form meeting a saw).  I was thinking more the pickup combination and style.
    PhilKing said:
    Would you want to make a replica though?   I don't think the stripe adds anything to the guitar (just makes it look like it came off worse form meeting a saw).  I was thinking more the pickup combination and style.

I think the problem is any les paul with those pickups and a bigsby will instantly be compared to Old Black.   More so if it has an aged black finish.  Then there is a decision on how far to take it down that path
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited December 2017
    To be fair Wez, I'd never head of Old Black and see no reason you cant do an "inspired by".....it does look good but the stripe on the back is odd, was there a reason for it and the silver circle on it?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I have 2 body blanks prepped

both Khaya (african mahogany)

the 2-piece on the left weighs 10.3lbs.  The 1 piece is 1/2lb lighter at 9.8lb

So i think I am going to use the 1-piece for a 59 style with a bit of swiss cheese weight relief, and the 2 -piece for a heavily chambered custom which may or may not end up with an F-hole.   I will be aiming to get both of these below 5lb  before gluing on the tops.  the chambered one may be a lot below that depending how far i take it
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    can you give the weight when it's been cut out and routed to shape before weight relieving, I'm always interested in the weight at various stages

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom