Buetooth page turners

I am considering, when I get a ne ipad/tablet using it for sheet music for playing at church. There seem to be plenty of apps for displaying the music (open to recommendation) but I was wondering what is the best/most affordable way of turning the pages via Bluetooth pedals. Last time I looked they were all about £80+. Are there any good options for less money?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 236
    Hi there, there are 2 distinctly different types of app to use, Chord sheet viewers (Onsong is king) or sheet music/PDF viewers (Forscore, Musicnotes, UnrealBook (my choice). 

The foot pedals are a real pain. Airturn are the market leaders, but the PED etc seem flimsy for the price. The iRig BlueBoard looks like a better made option but still not up to basic guitar pedal standard. 

i was lucky to investigate this a couple of years ago and made 4 DIY pedals using the adafruit EZ-Keys Bluetooth board. Those boards are currently unavailable though an updated version is under development. 

I also had success with a Flic button for my daughter (drummer), you could stick one of this on a scratch plate, it worked with Onsong.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • I have just installed Onsong for a project next year and I'm pretty sure you can set it to scroll automatically using bpm etc.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 236
    Yes you can set for auto scroll, but it leaves no room for error.

Last Sunday, my main singer was singing a solo piece with a huge amount of emotional resonance for her and her family. Cue a little slip up, going verse 1, verse 2, verse 3 instead of verse 1 verse 2, chorus, verse 3. A quick foot tap and we were fine, auto scroll would have been more tricky. 

There are lots of ways to use Onsong, you can also control scroll and auto scroll speed via MIDI.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited December 2017
    PFAllen2 said:
    Airturn are the market leaders, but the PED etc seem flimsy for the price. 
    Both my singer and I use Airturn with replacement pedals. The PED is very flimsy, and the standard pedal is also plastic. He has a pair of Bespeco, which is a cheap copy of the Boss FS-5 footswitch. Mine are two press-to-make footswitches from Maplin in an aluminium box.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Auto scroll on On song is a pain as you have to guess how long the song is going to last, bit like using backing tracks, fortunately work in a duo so one can put the finger in whilst the other carries on. Top tip for using iPad in this way is always have it portrait on the stand as more of the song is displayed than in landscape, this is eyesight dependant
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I use Forscore and an IK Blueturn.  Not the most substantial unit pedal-wise, but it doesn't get stomped in anger (I can't do angry rocking out and sight-reading at the same time)    At about £50 it's not too bad.

Thomann have this which looks pretty good value for money (no idea of quality, but it's probably not great for this money) https://www.thomann.de/gb/strich_music_bt_fp2.htm ;

If you want something a bit more substantial the Airturn Stomp 6 is probably the way to go.  if this thing existed when I bought my BlueBoard, I'd have got this instead. - https://www.thomann.de/gb/airturn_stomp_6.htm ;
  • I've seen this for sale. Anyone tried It? It seems to have good reviews. Donner Bluetooth Page Turner Rechargeable Sheet Music Reading Controller for Tables Ipad,Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUUDHFF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yd5mAbKYZ3VBP
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I've seen this for sale. Anyone tried It? It seems to have good reviews. Donner Bluetooth Page Turner Rechargeable Sheet Music Reading Controller for Tables Ipad,Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUUDHFF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yd5mAbKYZ3VBP
    I know that @robwright was looking at those, but not sure if he ever got one?

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Can you use Onsong on Android or only Apple?
    @lincolnblue I'm using an alternative to OnSong called SongSheet Pro (as it was reduced on the Appstore one weekend): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/songsheet-pro-chord-charts/id581094194?mt=8
    I think it's very similar to OnSong (although I've not used that). One feature that I'm just starting to use is the SongSheet Remote app which goes on your phone. It basically keeps your phone on a black screen but a single tap goes to the next part of the song or a double tap goes back one - it's designed to be touched, but possible a bare foot would work too! I'm using it at an event at church this weekend and my plan is to get one of the singers to be in charge of tapping the phone app to move the music, as it just shifts the focus of the music screen to the next verse, you can still see it even if they miss their cue.

My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    @lincolnblue I'm using an alternative to OnSong called SongSheet Pro (as it was reduced on the Appstore one weekend): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/songsheet-pro-chord-charts/id581094194?mt=8
    I think it's very similar to OnSong (although I've not used that). One feature that I'm just starting to use is the SongSheet Remote app which goes on your phone. It basically keeps your phone on a black screen but a single tap goes to the next part of the song or a double tap goes back one - it's designed to be touched, but possible a bare foot would work too! I'm using it at an event at church this weekend and my plan is to get one of the singers to be in charge of tapping the phone app to move the music, as it just shifts the focus of the music screen to the next verse, you can still see it even if they miss their cue.

Interesting but as much as I trust my singers, I'd want to be able to move between songs myself. 

There is an Andoid App called Opensong which seems to be a similar thing to Onsong
    BigMonka said:
    I've seen this for sale. Anyone tried It? It seems to have good reviews. Donner Bluetooth Page Turner Rechargeable Sheet Music Reading Controller for Tables Ipad,Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUUDHFF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yd5mAbKYZ3VBP
    I know that @robwright was looking at those, but not sure if he ever got one?

@lincolnblue or @robwright have either of you bought a page turner pedal yet? I’m looking to actually take the plunge now, so after some feedback on what’s good or bad.

• Not yet but will soon I think
  • If anybody has any recommendations for sheet music readers as well I'd be very interested in that. 10" tablets are not big enough for piano music
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • If anybody has any recommendations for sheet music readers as well I'd be very interested in that. 10" tablets are not big enough for piano music
    Android ones in particular would be helpful
    Not yet but will soon I think
    I've just ordered the Donner one from an eBay shop/seller, I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited February 2018
    If anybody has any recommendations for sheet music readers as well I'd be very interested in that. 10" tablets are not big enough for piano music
    Android ones in particular would be helpful
    I don't think there are any a4 android devices that easily available, its the screen size that's key not the OS I'd think. But then I suppose the page turner thing matters with android which is the OP point isn't it, sorry I'll be quiet
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BigMonka said:
    I've just ordered the Donner one from an eBay shop/seller, I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.
    How much did it cost you? Seen them for around £40. I'll be interested to know how you get on with it
    BigMonka said:
    How much did it cost you? Seen them for around £40. I'll be interested to know how you get on with it
    Yeah it was just over £40, about £5 less than Amazon, but although ebay said the product was in Southampton I have my suspicions it’ll come straight from China (so maybe some time later this year!)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I've been using Forscore on my iPad for the last 2 years for reading jobs on bass. I briefly looked at page turners, but I concluded they were a sledgehammer to crack a nut - a quick swipe of the finger and you're done. /2p