Question about our Casio keyboard

What's Hot
Our Casio keyboard has a phono connection marked 'Line Out'. If I made up a phono to jack plug cable, would the signal be too strong/weak if fed into a guitar amp? Not for gigging purposes but home use only. The built in speaker works but it sounds a bit limited. And I am not short of guitar amps!!!!

Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    It should work ok. Certainly no risk, so worth trying.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    You could probably stop it clipping by turning the keyboard volume down, but it probably won't sound nice through a guitar amp due to the voicing of the amp. Through your stereo would be better
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    It's the level of a mixer input, so might make a guitar amp distort; some amps have suitable inputs anyway.
  • It should work well through the effect return, that takes line level I think?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    horse said:
    You could probably stop it clipping by turning the keyboard volume down, but it probably won't sound nice through a guitar amp due to the voicing of the amp. Through your stereo would be better
    This is the important bit. Will be OK-ish for rocktastic Hammond organ sounds, but as the OP is already annoyed by the keyboard's own speakers, he's likely to find the guitar amp output muffled and dull for most keyboard/synth tones.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 195
    I find a guitar amp can be quite flattering for some keyboard sounds (organs, electric piano and clav tones, certain synth sounds), but even a clean guitar amp can sound a bit odd for things like piano.  If it's one of the older Casios that just sounds like a Casio, I think you could have some fun with it through a guitar amp. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Why not put it through a bass amp? Wouldn't that have a more neutral tone?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Not if the bass amp has nothing but a big old woofer as a speaker (sometimes, not always).

A dedicated keyboard amp or even better - an active monitor - best suits a keyboard. Find the later on Gumtree. The home stereo via an aux input would also work, but if the keyboard can self-oscillate, could burn out the hifi's tweeters.