Guitar pro 7

What's Hot
Hi folks
I have a beginners question please.
What's everyone's opinion on guitar pro.
I was thinking of getting a licence so as to supplement my other online learning resources such as Justin guitar and Marty etc..
What I like about guitar pro is the way you can easily see the fret positions as the tune plays which kind of teaches me the correct fret placement.
What I am not too sure of is how authentic some of the riffs I see are.

Seen lots of tabs that look like they may have been added by one string or maybe even 2 string guitar heroes :-)

I think it may help me to learn a little easier purely for the graphical way it shows 

I would be interested in your opinions with you having far more experience than myself please.

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I really like G Pro

Works on laptop or iPad.

Plenty of tabs available - though quality varies of course.

Can mute out an individual track which makes playing along easier and more realistic.

Can slow down without changing pitch.

Can put self-selected sections of a song on repeat to practice over-and-over.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I've got GP6 right now and used GP5 for a few years before upgrading.  I actually liked GP5 better but 6 is good, I'm getting used to it.  I use it more as a composing tool and sometimes I score things for students, not songs but technique examples usually.   As TTony says, quality varies on the songs people upload but most of the ones I've looked at have been pretty good.  You can import MIDI files from other sources and it will show up as note/tab like magic, but you will have to experiment with that a bit to get it right.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2017
    I use Guitar Pro 7. It's my favourite tool for transcribing guitar solos and I prefer it to Sibelius and Musescore for that very specific purpose.

However, I prefer Musescore for general charts combining a mixture of chord slash notation and music notation in a single stave, because Guitar Pro lacks that flexibility. For me that's the biggest weakness of Guitar Pro.

Musescore (which is free) can read older Guitar Pro files but (as far as I'm aware) not the latest GP7 format. I just did an experiment and it didn't read a GP7 file although it will read it when I export it as a GP5 file from GP7.
    It's not a competition.
  • Thanks for the tips and help guys I think I will go ahead with GP7 the trial certainly looks good
    Cheers
  • Yeah GP 7 is great - I bought the full version after using Musescore for a number of years.  GP7 is way better and worth the money.
  • Thanks Bingefeller I now have it installed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom