Opinions sought.

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Anybody got one... or played one?

Opinions sought.

Thanks.

They rave about them on Basschat. Most say they are better, more effective and nicer to play than any other acoustic bass..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Bridgehouse
  • My partner and I went to have a play with one today.  It was surprisingly small, Tonally not bad, but not much volume unplugged.  Sounded great plugged through an AER amp, although it did reveal a lot of finger squeak, so benefits from very clean playing.  I'd agree that it is better than any acoustic bass I've ever tried, but it did feel rather toy-like and, at the price, a very expensive toy.
  • I just bought one and posted about it on Basschat, so here is my post from that forum...

Yesterday morning I purchased a Taylor GS Mini-e Bass and having played it all day (because it’s more addictive than crack) I think I can categorically state that I have found my perfect bass. Obviously it wouldn’t have cut the mustard in the thrash band I used to play in but now I play in an acoustic duo and having tried a Fender Kingman, a Takamine GB30CE a Washburn AB10 and 20 and a Godin A4 I had never found a bass that suited both me and the style of music I now play. Firstly I have quite small hands and fingers so the Taylor is a revelation to play, I have always (why I started this habit I don’t know) written most of my bass lines on an old classical guitar and sometimes had problems transposing those bass lines across to a standard size bass. The Taylor is so easy to play, I find myself consistently ‘making’ some runs and complicated parts that were 50/50 on other basses. Also, despite having played bass since I was 24 (I’m now 54) I had never been fully satisfied with the amplified sound from any of the basses I’ve owned, both electric and acoustic, so having played the Taylor for a while and loving its tone unplugged I was nervous to amplify it in case I couldn’t reproduce the same delicious sound. Well I needn’t have worried, with all the controls on the amp at their middle setting the bass sounds glorious.

So, essentially, I’m just posting this in case anyone is considering purchasing this bass. It’s a hefty chunk of change to shell out on such a unique instrument so if I can answer any questions about it or you want to try one out outside of a shop environment then let me know. I thought I’d ‘found my brand’ with the Godin A4, beautiful bass that it is, but for me, the Taylor, smaller, lighter and so glorious sounding, has trumped it. Now I’ll need to sell one or two (or maybe all) of my other basses to get another Taylor and because now they will just be gathering dust!

• @Frank_Blank Thanks for the info.

What amp are you using for it... or are you going direct into the PA?

• @Frank_Blank Thanks for the info.

What amp are you using for it... or are you going direct into the PA?

I go straight into the PA at some gigs and am currently playing through a Roland AC-60 and a Fender Acoustic Pro 200. I will be selling both of these amps soon in order to get an AER Basic Performer 2.
  • @Frank_Blank. Thanks. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Taylor. Not tried that model of AER... but I've always liked their acoustic guitar amps.
  • @Frank_Blank. Thanks. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Taylor. Not tried that model of AER... but I've always liked their acoustic guitar amps.
    It's a great amp, found my brand!