Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
edited December 2017 in Music tFB Trader
Just caught my daughter watching Dirty Dancin and heard 'Stay' - I just assumed it was a Jackson Brown song - So now found out it was by Maurice Williams

So what songs have you assumed are original and later found out to be a cover
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Apparently Madonna wasn't the first to do American Pie. *gobsmacked*
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothin Compares 2 U springs to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Nightcall I thought was written by London Grammar. Didn’t realise until recently the original is a great piece of electronica

https://youtu.be/MV_3Dpw-BRY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I'm a believer by The Monkees. Only discovered a few years ago that it's a Neil Diamond song.

I haven't actually heard Neil Diamond's version though.
  • Step On by The Happy Mondays.. I was gobsmacked I tell thee.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Son of a gun by Nirvana. I was quite disappointed about it at the time.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    If Not For You - George Harrison released it on All Things Must Pass just before Dylan released it on New Morning. I heard the Harrison version first not realising it was a Dylan song.
    I also had to endure, along with the rest of the UK, Without You by Mariah Carey which someone told me was a Nilsson song. So imagine my surprise when I bought a Badfinger cd 15 years later and found out it’s actually their song!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Nothin Compares 2 U springs to mind. 
    I could be wrong - but I think Sinead released her version before the Prince version was released. Bit like Manic Monday - which he gave to the The Bangles - not sure if he ever released a version of that.
  • proggy said:
    I'm a believer by The Monkees. Only discovered a few years ago that it's a Neil Diamond song.

I haven't actually heard Neil Diamond's version though.
    He was the songwriter, and he performs it live but it wasn’t a cover version the monkees did. Their recording was first. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Behind The Mask by Eric Clapton.
    It's a late 70s song by Japanese synthpop band Yellow Magic Orchestra. Michael Jackson added lyrics to it and it was then covered by Clapton.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil Diamond also wrote Red Red Wine ....not UB40 as many people think..
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I had Goodbye Jumbo and Bang by World Party and was gobsmacked when I found out
    they wrote She's the one ...
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I first heard 'Come Up And See Me' as a live cover by Duran Duran, I think it was a B side on one of their singles. I remember really liking it.

It was a few years later I found out it was Steve Harley & C R and had to keep schtum about how I knew it with my very serious musical mates! 
    Fuengi said:
    I first heard 'Come Up And See Me' as a live cover by Duran Duran, I think it was a B side on one of their singles. I remember really liking it.

It was a few years later I found out it was Steve Harley & C R and had to keep schtum about how I knew it with my very serious musical mates! 
    It was the B side to Relax, I have the original on vinyl and it's brilliantly done. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitar said:
    Neil Diamond also wrote Red Red Wine ....not UB40 as many people think..
    Although they didn’t know he wrote it for a long time, they were doing a ( fairly straight) cover of the Tony Tribe version.

I mentioned on here the other day Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft which always seemed an odd Carpenters song but I only recently discovered it was actually an odd cover ( originally by Klaatu). 

I was listening to Private Life by Grace Jones today, I know it’s a cover but I didn’t for years - very smart reworking of The Pretenders original. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Fuengi said:

It was the B side to Relax, I have the original on vinyl and it's brilliantly done. 

... The Reflex - you got me searching then! I was staring wonder if Frankie's Relax wasn't a DD cover! 
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

... The Reflex - you got me searching then! I was staring wonder if Frankie's Relax wasn't a DD cover! 
    Doh! Damn you autocorrect - typed reflex and it autocorrected to relax! 
    @Fuengi - you made me go find it ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Just to be contrary, I didn't know it wasn't a cover:

I only learned this week that "All I Want for Christmas Is You" is a Mariah Carey original, I'd always assumed it was a cover of something from the '60s. 

I'm not a fan of the heavily-upholstered diva, but fair play, it's a good song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the wind" 

Led Zep's "Dazed and Confused" (and Stairway to Heaven, if you like).