Guitar shop for acoustic set up near Bracknell?

What's Hot
marc1tmarc1t Frets: 0
edited December 2017 in Acoustics
hi
can anyone recommend a reputable guitar shop or luthier near me (Bracknell) for checking/ set up on an acoustic don’t mind traveling a bit for good service
Im a novice guitarist so not familiar with any in my area 
cheers Marc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I'd recommend either:

http://mickjohnsonguitars.com/ - he builds from scratch and does pro setups.

http://www.amencornermusic.co.uk/ - nice blokes, cater for the budget end.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4125
    Based on two poor jobs they’ve done for me (a long time ago), and the general level of bad information I’ve over heard them giving people looking for advice when I’ve been in there, I’d avoid Amen Corner. 

Instead I’d suggest Apex Music in Woodley. Still not a full on luthier but fine for small jobs/set ups etc
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Not that far from Charlie Chandler in Hampton Wick.  Probably only half an hour or so.  He's not cheap but he's good.

Joe White might be worth a look as well:

https://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mick Johnson is just down the road from you in Shinfield near Reading. He’s teched for many famous names and builds guitars from the ground up too. He’s done some great work on my guitars, but he does get busy (for a reason)...

http://mickjohnsonguitars.com/
  • Just realised prowla beat me to it!
  • Hi cheers
    iv sent an email to Mick Johnson being new to this I’m not even sure weather my guitar needs it or not so I’m sure he will give me the right advice
    Alsi contacted Guitar village in Farnham they said they would check for free but would cost £80 plus strings & would need the guitar for 10 days.
    is this typical for a guitar setup?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    marc1t said:
    Hi cheers
    iv sent an email to Mick Johnson being new to this I’m not even sure weather my guitar needs it or not so I’m sure he will give me the right advice
    Alsi contacted Guitar village in Farnham they said they would check for free but would cost £80 plus strings & would need the guitar for 10 days.
    is this typical for a guitar setup?

A week to 10 days is quite typical for the busier places I know.

£80 does seem a bit steep for a set up.  Charlie Chandler (who isn't especially cheap) has a standard set up listed as £50 plus strings on his website.  If you want a Plek set up from him it's a lot more though.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I would watch a few youtube videos and research on the internet and have a pop at doing it yourself.  It sounds daunting I used to pay shops to change strings when I first started.  The more you have a go at the more you will enjoy it.

I realise some people would never set up their own guitars but just be careful, particularly with truss rod adjustment.
  • Guitar Village will just send it to Joe White. Mick Johnson is ok but I didn’t have a great experience myself. Anything acoustic I go to Dave King in Newbury, he’s the best and makes/repairs guitars for all the big names inc Clapton, Sheeran etc. He’s efficient and very skilled.
  • I should add that i’m down the road in Ascot and play acoustic guitar professionally, happy to take a look if it’s just set-up related.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Lewy said:
    Based on two poor jobs they’ve done for me (a long time ago), and the general level of bad information I’ve over heard them giving people looking for advice when I’ve been in there, I’d avoid Amen Corner. 

Instead I’d suggest Apex Music in Woodley. Still not a full on luthier but fine for small jobs/set ups etc
    Fair enough 
    but just to even it up, I’ve always found the Amen Corner shop to be friendly and helpful, and Graham set up my electric really well. Not had an acoustic in there.

i try and support them and Apex (who have now moved to a more visible premises at 3 Tuns crossroads on the Wokingham Road (near the University) as they are both really good local shops with some good guitars and which are not swamped with the 2 or 3 big names.