Newtone Heritage Strings

What's Hot
Morning! 

I thought I would try out a set of these as they seem to get a good wrap on here. 

I ordered a set (from eBay) and they arrived yesterday. My reason for this post is that I wanted to double check that they are real as the packaging seems a bit cheap etc. Maybe this is just the packaging they use but wanted to double check.

The outer wrapper is very thin and is closed by a sticky strip and then the paper insert seems to be cut badly.

It may sound like I'm being really picky but I'm not. If thats the way they are packaged then fine! I haven't fitted the strings yet (children, christmas prep etc) but am looking forward to it.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!As5RIrNV_21JpmY4c22N9dEPLF_N
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Throw the packaging away, put the strings on. 

My favourite strings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    rumour has it that ebay abounds with dodgy strings, which is why I prefer to either buy direct or from a reputable source. That said, be interested in your opinion, want to try their mando strings at some point.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    contact Newtone with the picture from ebay asking if they ever put their strings in that packaging -
    here's the one from Newtones site -
    https://i2.wp.com/www.newtonestrings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/heritage.jpg?zoom=2&resize=300,300&ssl=1

• Throw the packaging away, put the strings on. 

Agree. 

Newtone's packaging is on the homebrew side of things but the strings are great. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    How do these strings fare on a shorter scale say 24.5 inch neck. Would they be too loose or are they still great?
  • Morning! 

I thought I would try out a set of these as they seem to get a good wrap on here. 

I thought they wrapped them in the factory?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Joking aside its time to wrap this thread up
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    kreggs - do u’r string calc thing for a normal set and the difference (lbs) between a - say set of 13’s and 12’s will be similar to the diff  of a 25.4 to 24.9 scale for LOW tension strings.
    * NOTE* LT only applies to wound strings - they use a thinner core wire.
    e.g. a set of 12’s on a 24.9 scale would not be ’to slack’ for normal playing, if you want to play bluegrass with a pick ’n ‘dig in’ then go norm tension.
    you decide.
    string calc’s, take u’r pick

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html
    https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/Calcs/wwwscalc.html
    https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm
  • I've got a DADGAD set of Newtones...had them a while and I'm not going to get around to using them.

If anyone fancies trying them, I'll send them to you for nowt!
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited December 2017
    I've got a DADGAD set of Newtones...had them a while and I'm not going to get around to using them.

I'll have 'em mate. Nice one. 

I'll stick a tenner in the Cancer Researcher collection tin that's outside my local Tesco. How's that? 
    Cool. It makes sense with those charts. I will give newtones a try at some point. I dont have the strongest/ biggest hands. I have just switch from dadario  to rotosound  super bronze in 11s and noticed the rotosounds seem stiffer than the dadario  11s. Harder to bend. Am I crazy or can there be that much variation between  manufacturer  in the same gauge. 
  • I've got a DADGAD set of Newtones...had them a while and I'm not going to get around to using them.

I'll have 'em mate. Nice one. 

I'll stick a tenner in the Cancer Researcher collection tin that's outside my local Tesco. How's that? 
    Excellent...will respond to your PM.
  • @digitalkettle ;

Extremely cool. Thanking you kindly. 
  • Morning! 

I thought they wrapped them in the factory?
    Fitted them!

Have had 12s on my Taylor for years, then moved to 13s 'for a change' and then have now moved to these 11s.

The strings are fantastic and the playability (bending strings etc) has drastically improved.  But I think my next set will be back to 12s as they just feel a bit thin under my fingers.

I'm also worried as to how a non coated string will hold to my super rusting fingers.

I'm also worried as to how a non coated string will hold to my super rusting fingers.
    Mmmmm, stop worrying.
    My experience is - If ya have acidic / oily sweat and KILL strings - say in under a month or two, your best to go \coated'.
    Depending on your type of skin excretions strings like Newtone & DR that use a higher quality bronze alloy tend to deteriorate more quickly than 'cheaper' formulations - which is reflected in their selling price.
    I have friends who give up on string quality tone for this very reason - they're NOT allowed to touch my guitars as I'll either have Newts or DR's on and they can kill 'em dead in 10 to 20 minuets of playing.
    BTW DR do a coated string - Dragon Skins which are their 'Rare's' (which I use) but with a coating - could be an option for you.
    hope this helps.
  • AliGorie said:

Mmmmm, stop worrying.
    My experience is - If ya have acidic / oily sweat and KILL strings - say in under a month or two, your best to go \coated'.
    Depending on your type of skin excretions strings like Newtone & DR that use a higher quality bronze alloy tend to deteriorate more quickly than 'cheaper' formulations - which is reflected in their selling price.
    I have friends who give up on string quality tone for this very reason - they're NOT allowed to touch my guitars as I'll either have Newts or DR's on and they can kill 'em dead in 10 to 20 minuets of playing.
    BTW DR do a coated string - Dragon Skins which are their 'Rare's' (which I use) but with a coating - could be an option for you.
    hope this helps.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I'll see how the Newtones hold up for now.

I have retired back to a house only player as I have two small children and don't really have the time to rehearse etc so its not viable to be changing strings every couple of weeks. If this is the case with Newtones then the Dragon Skins might be the next stop.