Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000 said: up
    The Sky is Crying - I’d always assumed that the SRV version was the original since, in  the words of the X Factor judges, he certainly ‘owns it’ or ‘makes it his own’. 

It was originally by Elmore James...

https://youtu.be/kFn538A_yBA

Albert King reworked Sky, without relistening I'm not sure but I think Stevie's owed more to that.

Elmore's songs tended to be based on popular blues themes so how much original thought was ever in his version I don't know. 

[Just looking at Wiki for the song which does suggest SRV based his on the King version ]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    Nothin Compares 2 U springs to mind. 
    I could be wrong - but I think Sinead released her version before the Prince version was released. Bit like Manic Monday - which he gave to the The Bangles - not sure if he ever released a version of that.
    Prince had a short lived funk band called The Family. "Nothin Compares 2 U" was recorded by them as an album track, then he gave it to Sinead O'Connor. He later recorded a solo version. 

This is the original one:

Never knew or heard that before. thanks!
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I only found out recently that Denis, Denis by Blondie was originally done by Randy and The Rainbows and was called Denise!
  • Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Apache not the Shadows

Elouise not the Dammed

Money not the Beatles

Tainted Love not Soft Cell

Popcorn not Hot Butter

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Neill said:
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    I much prefer Seals and Crofts version.  When I was a teenager I didn't realise I'm Free wasn't by the Soup Dragons.  
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    dindude said:

I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

Rolf Harris?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:

Rolf Harris?
    Erm, no. And thankfully neither was the family friend!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    dindude said:

Almost certainly that version by "Far Corporation". Apparently even the Zep liked it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited December 2017
    I rather like the Scissor Sisters Comfortably numb cover. It's certainly different!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hurt, by Johnny Cash. I know, that's an embarrassing one.

That song that Gary Jules did for Donnie Darko. Turns out it was some crap 80's band called Tears for Fears who wrote it. Before my time.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not In Love by Crystal Castles....

https://youtu.be/pluMxKU74Uw

Actually began life as... 

https://youtu.be/dp4-hosv0Us

This was news to me. Absolutely love the CC version. 
  • Clashman said:
    I had Goodbye Jumbo and Bang by World Party and was gobsmacked when I found out
    they wrote She's the one ...

I was quite a fan of World Party and Karl Wallinger back then (after his stint in the Waterboys). I remember Robbie getting a Brit (or somesuch award) for that song and thanking a whole load of people....except the guy who wrote it! 

Still Karl did very well out of the royalty cheques, so I guess he's not that bitter.

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    aord43 said:
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    And did you know that the song I highlighted above was the follow up single to Chris Rea's famous Christmas tune.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonsimon Frets: 41
    Not strictly a cover, but I Heard it Through the Grapevine was released by Gladys Knight and the Pips before Marvin Gaye's more famous version.
    Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and covered later by Amy Winehouse.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2017
    Singer in one of my bands introduces Hard to Handle as a Black Crowes song....and I Fought the Law as a Clash song....both wrong!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    simon said:

Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom