Resale values of higher end acoustics?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited December 2017 in Acoustics
Bidding on a decent acoustic on eBay and trying to set myself a sensible maximum so I don’t get caught up in the heat of GAS....

Obviously it’s a case of what it’s worth to me - but what’s a generally accepted rule of thumb? About two thirds of new seem about right? FWIW it’s less than a year old and a minter by all accounts. 

As it stands I’m winning it for exactly 50% of the new price and if he’s happy to do cash off of eBay then that’s actually closer to 40% which I’d be quite chuffed with....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Depends on the guitar.  Something like a Martin will normally hold value better than something from a small British Builder.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    crunchman said:
    Depends on the guitar.  Something like a Martin will normally hold value better than something from a small British Builder.
    Good point. It’s a Taylor. I would guess I’m in the right ballpark at 50-60% but I guess it just comes down to how much I want it!
  • Dont forget if you offer to do it outside of ebay, it will be picked up by the ebay scan bots, the listing will disappear and your comms blocked with the seller. 
    I have had this happen.....and a million others recently.
    Dont forget if you offer to do it outside of ebay, it will be picked up by the ebay scan bots, the listing will disappear and your comms blocked with the seller. 
    I have had this happen.....and a million others recently.
    Luckily we’re already in contact via text :) my plan is to talk him into cancelling the bid if I win it and taking cash but for the sake of saving about £75 I’m not that fussed if he doesn’t. 
  • 60% is probably about right as a ballpark figure, but used guitar prices are in the toilet at the moment, so under 50% is definitely achievable.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Why is it ok to talk about not paying ebay for their service and to coerce others into doing it as though its a human right? They've provided a service, their terms are very clear. Pay them or don't use them.
    edited December 2017
    jellyroll said:
    Why is it ok to talk about not paying ebay for their service and to coerce others into doing it as though its a human right? They've provided a service, their terms are very clear. Pay them or don't use them.
    They offer zero protection to sellers in exchange for the privilege of their exorbitant fee, and having sided with a criminal buyer that scammed me many years ago I don’t give a flying fuck, they can take a running jump and ban me for all I care!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom