Yamaha YPT 255, opinions needed please

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
edited December 2017 in Other Instruments
Lidl are selling the Yamaha YPT 255 for a reasonable price. I need a keyboard that I can use to learn music reading and some theory. Is this Yamaha any good or should I aim higher? No plans to take it outside our music room, definitely no plans to gig it....

Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thomann don't list the YPT 255 but they are offering the PSR E263 for €129. Seems a better keyboard for a small bit extra. Any thoughts/knowledge on this or Yamaha keyboards?

Don't want to spend a lot of money as lessons are expensive so I might see what is on offer on Adverts.ie.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    The published specifications make no mention of key velocity sensitivity or aftertouch. Obviously, these are of relatively little concern to an absolute beginner. If the PSR E263 has neither, the onboard sounds are going to be of limited use. It would be worth researching this in more detail. Organ and string synthesizer sounds do not need velocity sensitivity but pianoforte sounds would end up neither piano nor forte.

Since the educational features are your chief interest, the outright quality of the onboard sounds or the ability to edit them in depth will be of little concern.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.