Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    simon said:

Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.

Tempted to LOL or Wiz, but I actually like both versions - hers is very different and is more to do with Mark Ronson I suspect.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    likewise - will try and find it now 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    robinbowes said:

Tempted to LOL or Wiz, but I actually like both versions - hers is very different and is more to do with Mark Ronson I suspect.
    That's true. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I really dislike her version because it's clear from the way she sings it that she has no understanding or feeling for the lyrics - although to be fair it was an odd choice anyway given that it's a man's song to a woman.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

Not quite "didn't know" in that I wasn't really aware of the song at the time I was asked to learn the chords to accompany a friend, but I was surprised to find out that Adele's Make You Feel My Love was written by Bob Dylan.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Singer in one of my bands introduces Hard to Handle as a Black Crowes song....and I Fought the Law as a Clash song....both wrong!
    The singer in my band used to introduce Venus as a Bananarama song!

I had to explain to her that there's no such thing as a Bananarama song...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    "Madness" by Prince Buster NOT Madness. Keeping with this band, "It Must Be Love" by Labi Siffre

• Kebabkid said:
    "Madness" by Prince Buster NOT Madness. Keeping with this band, "It Must Be Love" by Labi Siffre

I thought for ages that Wings of a Dove was a cover as there is an old ska choon of the same name but it’s their own. 
    One Step Beyond is also a Prince Buster cover; The Beat and The Specials also covered him. The Specials used to play Madness in their early live sets, possibly pre knowing about the band Madness. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Whilst looking up the above, it rolled into this Labi Siffre song which Eminem sampled but Chas and Dave, who were top drawer session guys, are playing on it as well as Big Jim Sullivan.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    ICBM said:
    simon said:

Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.
    Ha ha, our favourite “let’s agree to disagree” track again @ICBM. ;)  I much prefer the Amy version. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

That's true. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I really dislike her version because it's clear from the way she sings it that she has no understanding or feeling for the lyrics - although to be fair it was an odd choice anyway given that it's a man's song to a woman.
    The thing that gets me is that there are a whole host of songs credited to "Mark Ronson" where as I understand it, he is the producer not the performer.  How many other record producers manage to get the main credit?  Dunno how he managed to swing that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12643
    Hush not by Deep Purple

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Did anyone know that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover?     
  • Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Much overlooked as a guitarist and songwriter and one of the many guitarists said to have nearly been a Rolling Stone ( according to Wikipedia he declined them). 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Much overlooked as a guitarist and songwriter and one of the many guitarists said to have nearly been a Rolling Stone ( according to Wikipedia he declined them). 
    The list of guitarists who apparently "rejected" the Rolling Stones gig probably numbers about the same as folk who claim to have been at school with the Kray twins.  An awful lot of names were bandied around at the time, but I reckon the only other guitarist who was formally offered the berth was Jeff Beck.  But that's probably a tall tale as well.  I do remember reading that Rod Stewart was 100% confident that his "best mate" would never join the Stones..

• Neill said:
    Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    The list of guitarists who apparently "rejected" the Rolling Stones gig probably numbers about the same as folk who claim to have been at school with the Kray twins.  An awful lot of names were bandied around at the time, but I reckon the only other guitarist who was formally offered the berth was Jeff Beck.  But that's probably a tall tale as well.  I do remember reading that Rod Stewart was 100% confident that his "best mate" would never join the Stones..

There was a Rory Gallagher story about him being flown somewhere for an audition with the Stones and after two days none of them had shown up so he flew back out again. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• There was a Rory Gallagher story about him being flown somewhere for an audition with the Stones and after two days none of them had shown up so he flew back out again. 

There's differing stories surrounding Rory and the Stones, one as you say where nobody showed and another where they jammed but mutually agreed that it wouldn't be in either's interests for Rory to join. He probably wouldn't have been a great fit for them and his writing would have take a back seat to Mick & Keef.
    Another one who claimed he jammed with the Stones but he cooled off was Dave 'Clem' Clempson of Humble Pie. I believe he was also in the running to join Deep Purple in the mid 70s after Ritchie Blackmore left to form Rainbow
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    edited December 2017
    I only found out after about 35 years that this one wasn't the original version. It is however the best one in my opinion

https://youtu.be/aaQWOne1sfo

• RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    I read on some music forum of a Metallica fan arguing that "Whiskey in the Jar" was written by Metallica!  A young lad I guess, more to be laughed at than pitied...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    edited December 2017
    Neill said:
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Did anyone know that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover?     
    Not just a cover but a nick from Hank Williams too, who nicked it from Charley Patton.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.