Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 2018 theFB Challenge **Now OPEN**

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
edited December 2017 in Making & Modding
Yes, there's going to be a 2018 making & modding Challenge!

It'll run through to the end of Q1.

It's not intended as a competition from which a "winner" emerges - it's intended as a challenge in which all contestants set themselves an objective or target to get something done in the defined timescale. 

Hence there are no prizes, other than the satisfaction of completing it and the recognition of others.

To "play" you need to;
  • decide what  your own challenge is going to be - preferably an item/topic that's going to be of interest to people here!
  • start your own challenge thread here, sometime in January
  • keep the thread updated with progress 
  • ideally, comment on - and support - all the other participants.
I'll keep a master list on this thread of who's in and what each of us is doing, and link that to each of the individual threads.  That'll also make it easier to  refer back to individual threads during the challenge, and in future.

As the timescale is 3 months, the challenge can be reasonably substantial (ie not "changing my strings"), but other than the timescale there are no constraints.  There is no budget limit for this one, there is no specific thing that has to be made or modded.

But there will be a theme - which will be announced on 26 Dec (for reasons that will become obvious then).

Any immediate Qs  - post them here

Following a lengthy discussion on the topic of challenges earlier in the year,  we might try to run these quarterly through the year - largely based on how well supported this one turns out to be.  Future challenges may well repeat previous themes given that new members are always signing up and so wouldn't have been involved in a specific theme previously.

Suggestions for themes for Q2, Q3 and beyond are also welcome in this thread.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I like the openendedness of this, and it could hasten the production of an idea I've been mulling over for a while.
    Now can I remember how to design PCBs and program an Arduino...

Oh, and could you maybe stipulate a thread title prefix, so we know what threads apply?

(just so those of us too lazy to look at the linked threads in this thread, can notice them when randomly browsing...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    m_c said:
    Oh, and could you maybe stipulate a thread title prefix, so we know what threads apply?
    That's a good idea.
    Q118C (for Qtr1, '18, Challenge).  Then we can follow it with Q218C, etc.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    18Q1, 18Q2 ... ?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    TTony said:
    The list of  contestants ...
    I'm in!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Evener betterer.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    I will say maybe.   I totally failed to do anything meaningful on the last one.  Depends on the theme :)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I've something I'm building. The theme would have to be based on largely rectangular metal boxes for it to fit though :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    You remember that Stingray body and neck I accidentally agreed to by from Graham?

I am tempted to get a custom pickup made for it - with two split singles a la Sims style and stick a shed load of knobs and switches on it. 

And get a custom sparkly finish done. And some other stuff. Kinda like a "Fretboard makers supermarket sweep"..

Would that count? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Not anything in the physical sense but I am reading a book on how to read music at the moment. And I am not making much progress so in the New Year, I will be joining a music class in town. Using a keyboard to learn how to read the dots and a little music theory to boot. Does this count as a challenge suitable for inclusion? Do bear in mind that there is nothing to show for the effort at the end except that I hope to have learned something from taking part. If there is an exam at the end, I will publish the result.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    normula1 said:
    The theme would have to be based on largely rectangular metal boxes for it to fit though :)
    WezV said:
    Depends on the theme :)
    Would that count? 
    I'm thinking of a theme that would allow lots of people to participate
    ;)

A bit different to our usual thing-focus theme.

How about  ..

"I thought I'd build this as a surprise gift for TTony"

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    ....and then decided I liked it so much that I'd keep it for myself :)
    normula1 said:
    ....and then decided I liked it so much that I'd keep it for myself :)
    :P 
    The theme ought to be, "What I wish I got for Xmas" it being that time of year n that.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I'm guessing as the announcement is going to be on the 26th, I'd hazard the theme is going to be box related..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wisdom @m_c possibly!.......see what you did there, but we'll see!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Well I’ve just scored a swamp ash strat body... so providing the theme is “build a swamp ash strat” I’m in!!!!
    poopot said:
    Well I’ve just scored a swamp ash strat body... so providing the theme is “build a swamp ash strat” I’m in!!!!
    I suppose we could make the theme "build a XXX  -or a swamp ash strat", just to include you
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    poopot said:
    I suppose we could make the theme "build a XXX  -or a swamp ash strat", just to include you
    ;)
    Im awaiting delivery of a Swamp Ash Mustang body.......