Sigma 000R-28V - Any Good ? Any Alternatives ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
edited December 2017 in Acoustics
Ok, so I went into Guitar Guitar today in Brum, mainly to try the Yamaha SLGs. 

A guy was playing a 'Martin' and I said to him, "mate that sounds really nice..." Anyway, I had limited time and was just having a mooch around when I thought "I'll have a play on that Martin he was playing..."

Turns out, it was this Sigma 000R-28V, and NOT a Martin and... I really really liked it...

Now, bear in mind, Ive just sold a £4k Collings OM1, which was beautiful but a bit 'stiff' for me if that makes sense ? 

I just really liked this Sigma, and it had a (cheapish I guess) pick up system built into it, which I missed having, and the action was bob on (unlike the Collings...)

So, my question is... any thoughts ?

I no longer wish to own a dear one. Something instead, I can leave lying around, dink and play when I need to.

By the way, bob on service from Guitar Guitar (Dave ?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven’t played that specific model - but I have played quite a few Sigmas. Ridiculously good for the money....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, so I went into Guitar Guitar today in Brum, mainly to try the Yamaha SLGs. 

A guy was playing a 'Martin' and I said to him, "mate that sounds really nice..." Anyway, I had limited time and was just having a mooch around when I thought "I'll have a play on that Martin he was playing..."

Turns out, it was this Sigma 000R-28V, and NOT a Martin and... I really really liked it...

Now, bear in mind, Ive just sold a £4k Collings OM1, which was beautiful but a bit 'stiff' for me if that makes sense ? 

I just really liked this Sigma, and it had a (cheapish I guess) pick up system built into it, which I missed having, and the action was bob on (unlike the Collings...)

So, my question is... any thoughts ?

I no longer wish to own a dear one. Something instead, I can leave lying around, dink and play when I need to.

What were the specs of the Collings OM1 you sold?  I have a guitar which I have owned from new for around 2-3 years which only until recently sounded a bit on the stiff side of things before it improved, the guitar has a Adirondack spruce soundboard which I think was partly an issue. 

I myself own a couple of very nice acoustics but I find I'm somewhat scared of keeping them in the stand, dinging the thin soundboard and so on and seem to play my cheapest guitar the most.  I enjoy playing it with the worry of f*cking it up. 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited December 2017
    I have a sigma 00028vs which is a 12 fret.Its one of my favourites,all solid woods.I played the Martin equivalent recently and there was not a lot in it considering the price difference.Even the grain of the wood is matched perfectly,and I am a Martin man.Obviously a keeper and I don’t work for them.If you 
    find a nice one they great value.
  • @earwighoney - mine was a Collings Custom 0M1. Lovely guitar and the pick of many I played. It was just too tight/stiff imho, and like you, I didnt want to dink it.

For £500, I might just buy that Sigma 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited December 2017
    I was thinking of getting one of the 000mr4’s in the coda blowout
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I have one of those. It’s my leave it lying around guitar, it’s actually the 2nd one as my daughter knocked over the the first and snapped the neck. 

I think they they are great, it records well, plays nice, the sound is a bit thin compared to my more expensive acoustics but then they cost a lot more.

I dont think you can do much better for the price of them. 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    I was thinking of it for a “lying around” guitar
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Sigma's are ridiculously good for the money.
  • Went on a few shopping trips with a mate who wanted a cheap J45-ish guitar. Played several Sigmas... some Good-ish... some a bit meh... and one that was better than all the rest (he bought that one). So... I guess like all acoustics... they vary. If you've found one of the great ones - probably best to go for it.

Does my mate's Sigma keep up with a good new Gibson Vintage spec J45? No... but the Sigma was about 1/6th the cost (and it's got a pickup... which the Gibson doesn't have)

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444

That Sigma isn't far short of the price of a Martin OOOX1AE.

The Martin has an unfinished look (like the Sheeran guitars) and uses non-traditional materials, but is a very good sounding guitar.  Might be worth trying one.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    As much as I hate it when my guitars get dinged, I still wouldn't swap them for cheaper ones just to avoid that pain. By definition, you're then buying a guitar you don't care about rather than one that inspires you....

Went on a few shopping trips with a mate who wanted a cheap J45-ish guitar. Played several Sigmas... some Good-ish... some a bit meh... and one that was better than all the rest (he bought that one). So... I guess like all acoustics... they vary. If you've found one of the great ones - probably best to go for it.

Does my mate's Sigma keep up with a good new Gibson Vintage spec J45? No... but the Sigma was about 1/6th the cost (and it's got a pickup... which the Gibson doesn't have)

I’ve got a true vintage j45 and a 2016 vintage hummingbird so I know what you’re saying 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Sigma are not just good for the money, they are really good guitars. They are also cheap. 

I had a DR28 which petty much played itself (useful, as I'm crap). Only sold it because I wanted a smaller body acoustic. 
  • crunchman said:

That Sigma isn't far short of the price of a Martin OOOX1AE.

The Martin has an unfinished look (like the Sheeran guitars) and uses non-traditional materials, but is a very good sounding guitar.  Might be worth trying one.

GuitarGuitar have some models on special offer... https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/tag/Martin-Promotion

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Plus 1 for Sigma. I had an old Sigma DR-41, think it was probably 80's - still said Martin on the headstock. It was great if a bit bling. Should never have sold it. :-(
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Another reminder that it's the wizard, not the wand.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7M3R-V_SK4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The only direct competition would be Recording King, but they were v hard to find in the UK last time I checked. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I recently bought a Sigma 000MC 1STE.... brilliant, lowered the action restrung with John Pearse 11-50s, and I love it- very pick-up-able, pick or fingerstyle it is just great. Great guitar to throw over your shoulder and play out, either plugged or unplugged. I had just sold my Larrivee L-05 and was going to use the dosh to buy a "proper" replacement, ....I've spent a quarter of the money and am happier than the Larrivee days! I'm almost tempted to buy a more upmarket Sigma now, ....but really?- I dont need to because the current one suits me perfectly!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad you got there in the end...........enjoy!
  • Appreciate all the input folks... I'll be playing some over the next week hopefully :)