Bass Riff of the Month (BRotM) #01 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited December 2017 in Making Music
Here's the very 1st Bass Riff of the Month (BRotM) Challenge, being run by @stratman3142 and @TTony.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 24th January 2018. We're starting early because people may have some time available over the Xmas break.

BRotM can be interpreted by the entrants, ie as simple or complex as they like, to encourage as many as possible to get involved. It could be anything from a single RAW bass track to a full mix of instruments. However, the focus must be on the bass riff.

The bass riff needs to be created using a real stringed bass instrument, so that would include electric or acoustic bass (fretted or unfretted), Chapman stick, double bass - even cello perhaps

Keep it to a maximum of 50 seconds. This is about riffs, not songs.

Send your entry (as an mp3) to brotm@thefb.co.uk
Include your forum name in the email, but let us know if you would like your entry to be anonymous.

I'll try to upload the tracks soon after I receive them, rather than wait until the end.
Feel free to describe how you created your entry, your inspiration, techniques whatever.... It would be good to get a discussion going.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th January 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st January 2018

The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends. Although it's not really about winning and there are no prizes. Think of it as forum team building, learning from each other ...  

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344

The bass riff needs to be created using a real stringed bass instrument, so that would include electric or acoustic bass (fretted or unfretted), Chapman stick, double bass - even cello perhaps

@Sporky - you know this one is just for you.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Oh goody ..... I'm up for this ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ..and if you submit this particular riff - it's immediate disqualification :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    ..and if you submit this particular riff - it's immediate disqualification :)
    It wouldn't have been so terrible if he had bothered to make it swing. Even without video images, it was obvious that he was white.
    Be seeing you.
    I wonder if there's already been an entry for this challenge??

:D
  • TTony said:
    I wonder if there's already been an entry for this challenge??

:D
    Entry received.

It's an m4a file whereas the instructions clearly state mp3 format. I dunno - some people just don't read the instructions :)

Don't worry, I'll convert it - mutter mutter !!!
    It's not a competition.
    Bugger.

The person who did it failed to check the save as format, so excited were they at having actually remembered how to get everything else set up and working.

So they said.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I'm not entering. Real bass players don't riff. Real bass players don't like to be lead instrument. Real bass players don't need the recognition.

Either that or I just think I'm shit... 
    Or am I? :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Chapman Stick ... let us know if you would like your entry to be anonymous.
    Come off it. Who else on here plays a touch board instrument? ;)
    Be seeing you.
    Are you asking for a vote??
     :o 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2017
    First entry is up with the evocative title of "mastering app". Well that was the name of the file I received

Keep em' coming.
    It's not a competition.
    TTony said:
    Are you asking for a vote??
     :o 
    I was trying to be dark and mysterious, but clearly it came across as dickish!
    First entry is up with the evocative title of "mastering app". Well that was the name of the file I received
    I don't want to be all boring and "we've always done it that way, so it always has to be done that way", but ...

Normally we'd wait until the completion date, and then put all the submissions up at the same time.

if @Bridgehouse hears that first one, he'll never submit anything himself for fear of being compared.
    ;)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2017
    TTony said:
    I don't want to be all boring and "we've always done it that way, so it always has to be done that way", but ...

Normally we'd wait until the completion date, and then put all the submissions up at the same time.

if @Bridgehouse hears that first one, he'll never submit anything himself for fear of being compared.
    The Composition challenges weren't put up until all the entries were in. However, the entries to all the other challenges were usually put up as they were received, when Antique_guitars got the time.

I'm sure I'm right about this. Back me up guys @steamabacus @DulcetJones @kin @Fretwired @Veganic @Bellycaster @ChrisRG ; ...

But we can change the way we used to do things.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In which case,my apologies, and I'll disappear off into the corner of embarrassment
    ;)
  • I don't care myself, but I can see why some people would prefer to see them go up all at once.  Either way, I probably won't listen to them until they're all up and entry is closed, then I can grab a pad and pen and do it all in one sitting.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• If people prefer all the entries to go up together at the end, we can go with that. Let me know. I don't mind either way.
    It's not a competition.
  • Received an entry from @Funkfingers.

Are people OK with me putting these up as I receive them, or should I hold off and post them all together after the submission deadline?
    It's not a competition.
    I don't mind hugely, although it might be more of an event if they  were all posted at the same time - ie deadline day?