Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemp Guitars *2017-2018* Build Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Fr3t said:
    Love this thread. Awesome build you have there!

Thanks Fr3t. Watch this space for more builds in the very near future =)
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Definitely not =) Thanks Ross
    NP - Keep up the good work!

Fr3t said:
    Love this thread. Awesome build you have there!
    I agree - awesome stuff to see these builds come together :)
  • xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited January 2019
    Build updates coming in the next day or two. In the meantime, I recently bought a Richlite fretboard blank out of curiosity. When it arrived, I thought it looked and felt like a bit of (black dyed) MDF...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

End of another week. What have we been doing in the Kemp workshop? Three generic looking builds coming together but they'll all come to life soon enough with some paint and hardware...

In the meantime, this box of brutal delights arrived in the post today - BKP Aftermath 8-string set - these are for a forthcoming custom thru-neck DC featuring the Half-fan multiscale fretboard and that stunning Ziricote top seen in the background there  

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Awesome :)
    edited January 2019
    Four necks prepared for my current batch of builds, ready for carving. This includes that Richlite and the Bocote (on the thru-neck) fretboards which are both woods/materials I've not used before. They've both come up nice and are going to look great on their respective builds. Next week will see work begin on the bodies. Aside from the thru-neck, I won't be posting too many updates until they're ready for spraying as they are all fairly similar in style. However, that Ziricote top will be pulled off the shelf very soon so look out for that Have a great weekend!

edited January 2019

A couple of custom builds on at the moment, two are standard DC/DC3s but this one is a little bit special - 8-string thru-neck DC Half-fan multiscale with Ziricote top thumb ready to glue on...

• Tidy work dude!

• How do you like the Richlite Matt?
    edited January 2019
    [PIC REMOVED]
    How do you like the Richlite Matt?
    Hey Ross. Yeah, I'm quite happy with it actually. Wasn't sure when I received the blank - which resembled the look and feel of MDF! A little harder to slot as a result of the friction heat causing the epoxy to bind slightly with the saw - and that was using a brand new saw. Otherwise, glues well (using epoxy), sands up nicely, looks good being jet black and feels like a real nice piece of Ebony. I can definitely see the appeal as a synthetic alternative to Ebony and would have no issues working with it again if asked. Yet to play the neck but that one will be ready after Xmas... One for myself You okay? 
  • Hey Ross. Yeah, I'm quite happy with it actually. Wasn't sure when I received the blank - which resembled the look and feel of MDF! A little harder to slot as a result of the friction heat causing the epoxy to bind slightly with the saw - and that was using a brand new saw. Otherwise, glues well (using epoxy), sands up nicely, looks good being jet black and feels like a real nice piece of Ebony. I can definitely see the appeal as a synthetic alternative to Ebony and would have no issues working with it again if asked. Yet to play the neck but that one will be ready after Xmas... One for myself :) You okay? 
    Nice - very interested I got offered a trade LP custom with a board in it so very interested :)

I'm good Matt - I've ideas for the new year too - you will be involved!!!
  • Hey Ross. Yeah, I'm quite happy with it actually. Wasn't sure when I received the blank - which resembled the look and feel of MDF! A little harder to slot as a result of the friction heat causing the epoxy to bind slightly with the saw - and that was using a brand new saw. Otherwise, glues well (using epoxy), sands up nicely, looks good being jet black and feels like a real nice piece of Ebony. I can definitely see the appeal as a synthetic alternative to Ebony and would have no issues working with it again if asked. Yet to play the neck but that one will be ready after Xmas... One for myself :) You okay? 
    Nice - very interested I got offered a trade LP custom with a board in it so very interested :)

Nice. I read many forum threads/arguments and the only real issue is those "traditionalists" who think anything but a wood fretboard is wrong. That's fine, for now, but as woods become scarce and subsequently protected under Cites, we all need to consider these alternatives. 

Nice. I read many forum threads/arguments about Richlite and the only real issue is those "traditionalists" who think anything but a wood fretboard is wrong. That's fine, for now, but as woods become scarce and subsequently protected under Cites, we all need to consider these alternatives.

Look forward to hearing from you in the new year :)
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    edited December 2017
    Hey Ross. Yeah, I'm quite happy with it actually. Wasn't sure when I received the blank - which resembled the look and feel of MDF! A little harder to slot as a result of the friction heat causing the epoxy to bind slightly with the saw - and that was using a brand new saw. Otherwise, glues well (using epoxy), sands up nicely, looks good being jet black and feels like a real nice piece of Ebony. I can definitely see the appeal as a synthetic alternative to Ebony and would have no issues working with it again if asked. Yet to play the neck but that one will be ready after Xmas... One for myself You okay? 
    Nice - very interested I got offered a trade LP custom with a board in it so very interested

Nice. I read many forum threads/arguments about Richlite and the only real issue is those "traditionalists" who think anything but a wood fretboard is wrong. That's fine, for now, but as woods become scarce and subsequently protected under Cites, we all need to consider these alternatives.

Look forward to hearing from you in the new year

Yeah - I tend to agree, I think the CITES listing of Rosewood and the subsequent rush of the big companies to Ebony, Pau Ferro etc. is only more likely to add these species to the list too. So pragmatically you are right we need to change our thinking up as guitarists and be open to alternatives – however we, as guitarists, are all slightly conservative in our views as evidenced when Gibson do anything that’s not faithful to a design made in the 1950’s

Speak to you soon!

edited January 2019

Just a couple of pics of the latest Kemp Guitars custom DC that will be on it's way to Canada tomorrow. Yes, it's quite similar in looks and spec to some of my other recent work. However, aside from being a leftie, it's got a Half-fan multiscale fretboard with the revised 6-string scale lengths (25.5"-26") - which I think works better and really comes into play here as this guitar is setup with heavier 13-56 strings and is tuned to B standard... A perfect example of the need for a 6-string multiscale  Full spec: Sapele archtop body, Wenge/Sapele 3-piece neck, Macassar Ebony Half-fan multiscale fretboard loaded with Jescar FW57110SS fretwire, Gotoh fixed bridge and 381 Magnum Lock tuners (Cosmo Black) and Bare Knuckle Pickups Nailbomb…

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

Something interesting arrived at the workshop the other day from @webrthomson - Leopardwood. Updates and full spec on this custom build coming soon...

• Exciting stuff can wait to see this transform into a guitar! :)
    Got that top and the Pale Moon Ebony to sort out yet  =) 
    Got that top and the Pale Moon Ebony to sort out yet  =) 
    Can't wait to see it Matt!

Ross
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546

Something interesting arrived at the workshop the other day from @webrthomson - Leopardwood. Updates and full spec on this custom build coming soon...

Do you know the species name.   I have also seen similar sold as "lacewood", and some similar sold as lacewood that had much smaller medullary flecks.

Anyway, the important thing is it needs a green stain to look like a crocodile ;)