Bass cabs ?

TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
edited December 2017 in Bass

Hi all, yet another question, I have an Ampeg PF350 currently going through an 8 ohm, 2 X 10 cab and I fancy putting a 1 X 15 with it (also 8 ohm), to see if it brings out more bass  end. So my question is, do I need some sort of crossover device type thingy to separate the high end from the low end and point them in the right direction, or can I just plug one cab into each speaker out and let it sort itself out.

Also, will it make it that much louder dropping it down to a 4 ohm load. (8ohm = 250w, 4ohm = 350w with this amp).

Your time, (and patience), is greatly appreciated, cheers, Tam.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    You don't need a crossover, just connect both cabs to the amp. The speakers are designed to handle full range, even though they won't necessarily reproduce it.

You will get substantially more volume, both because the amp's power will increase and because the extra speaker will move more air so the efficiency will increase.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 186
    Depending on what your 2x10 cab is, a second identical 2x10 could also be worth a shot and still sound much bigger than a single cab. I mention this because not every 1x15 has more low end output than every 2x10, though some companies do design them that way.  
  • I use a PF350 through a Marshall 1x15 and it certainly kicks out some bass. Do remember though that it is definitely voiced as an Ampeg, so the mid-freq grind does start to appear as you turn the gain up.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    TamDB said:
    do I need some sort of crossover device type thingy to separate the high end from the low end and point them in the right direction, or can I just plug one cab into each speaker out and let it sort itself out.
    ICBM said:
    speakers are designed to handle full range, even though they won't necessarily reproduce it.
    The frequency response curve of the 2x10 cab tapers off towards the low end. The frequency response curve of the 1x15 cab tapers off towards the high end. The frequency ranges that each cab reproduces kinda overlap in the middle. The combination is more pleasing than either alone. 

The downside, however, is that you have to transport that 1x15 cabinet. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • My fave bass sound was with a 215. However, I could not hear myself onstage. I found a 410 suited better all round.
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Sorry about the lateness of the reply, but I got sort of hijacked by all this Christmas nonsense.
    Thanks for all the replies guys, all very helpful. The 1 x 15 thing is a bit of a whim really, the 2 x 10 pulling 250 watts out of the amp will be more than enough for me, as if I ever get off my arse and manage to play anywhere, it`ll be little pubs and the likes.
    Thanks again anyway, cheers, Tam.