Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot

Comments

• Rocker said:
    I read on some music forum of a Metallica fan arguing that "Whiskey in the Jar" was written by Metallica!  A young lad I guess, more to be laughed at than pitied...
    As I've understood it the Thin Lizzy version was heavily rewritten to from the traditional version so when folk musicians do it now they tend to base it on the Lizzy one rather than the traditional one. That sound correct? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Like most people -I’m guessing - I always assumed John Barry wrote the famous James Bond surf guitar theme music. And then found out it was Monty Norman (who?). So, effectively, Barry’s version is a cover. Here’s the story...

Norman is famous for writing the music to the first James Bond movie, Dr. No, including the "James Bond Theme", the signature theme of the James Bond franchise. Norman has received royalties since 1962 for the theme. However, as the producers were dissatisfied with Norman's arrangement, John Barry re-arranged the theme.[1] Barry later claimed that it was actually he who wrote the theme, but Norman won two libel actions against publishers for claiming that Barry was the composer, most recently against The Sunday Times in 2001. In the made-for-DVD documentary Inside Dr. No, Norman performs a music piece which he wrote for the stage several years earlier entitled "Bad Sign, Good Sign", that resembles the melody of the "James Bond Theme" in several places.

Norman collected around £600,000 in royalties between the years 1976 and 1999[2] for the use of the theme since Dr. No.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    rlw said:
    Neill said:
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Did anyone know that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover?     
    Not just a cover but a nick from Hank Williams too, who nicked it from Charley Patton.
    And who did he nick it from..?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    I bought a Seals & Crofts box set last year - there's some good stuff on it.
    dindude said:
    dindude said:

I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

Rolf Harris?
    Erm, no. And thankfully neither was the family friend!
    Taurus, By Spirit?

(Mind you, Queen then ripped off Stairway for Bohemian Rhapsody.)

aord43 said:
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    Purple openly say that Black Night was based on Summertime, by Ricky Nelson.

• My all time fave song is a cover!! And I found out about it just recently.
    Hot Cherie by Hardline is actually a song from a band called Streetheart....and had at least one more cover, in the mid 80`s.
  • DiscoStu said:
    Behind The Mask by Eric Clapton.
    It's a late 70s song by Japanese synthpop band Yellow Magic Orchestra. Michael Jackson added lyrics to it and it was then covered by Clapton.
    I only found this out about 2 months ago, I was amazed and the other versions are fantastic too. I like the Clapton version best and I like the Y.M.O original more than M.J's version.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.

• I though Joan Jett was the original artist for years.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Neill said:
    rlw said:
    Neill said:
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Did anyone know that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover?     
    Not just a cover but a nick from Hank Williams too, who nicked it from Charley Patton.
    And who did he nick it from..?
    Indeed !
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Whilst looking up the above, it rolled into this Labi Siffre song which Eminem sampled but Chas and Dave, who were top drawer session guys, are playing on it as well as Big Jim Sullivan.

The Eminem-Chas & Dave connection has appeared in a few pub quizzes I've hosted. Fantastic trivia. Do you know of any other well known albums did they play on as session artists?
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    Hurt, by Johnny Cash. I know, that's an embarrassing one.

That song that Gary Jules did for Donnie Darko. Turns out it was some crap 80's band called Tears for Fears who wrote it. Before my time.  ;)
    It's because of opinions like these that we need the facepalm button back.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fnpt said:
    Hurt, by Johnny Cash. I know, that's an embarrassing one.

That song that Gary Jules did for Donnie Darko. Turns out it was some crap 80's band called Tears for Fears who wrote it. Before my time.  ;)
    It's because of opinions like these that we need the facepalm button back.
    Isn't it hard enough for Tommy to be coping with puberty without you facepalming him? Show some mercy...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Rocker said:
    I read on some music forum of a Metallica fan arguing that "Whiskey in the Jar" was written by Metallica!  A young lad I guess, more to be laughed at than pitied...
    As I've understood it the Thin Lizzy version was heavily rewritten to from the traditional version so when folk musicians do it now they tend to base it on the Lizzy one rather than the traditional one. That sound correct? 

You are right @EricTheWeary.  I can't say how the traditional version was sung as everyone sings and plays it as per the Lizzie version these days. Even playing campfire chords, it is a fun song to play as everyone knows most of the lyrics..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• kaypeejay said:
    I only found out recently that Denis, Denis by Blondie was originally done by Randy and The Rainbows and was called Denise!
    The Tide is High is another famous Blondie song that's actually a cover - by The Paragons.

And I have memories of a friend-of-a-friend's band announcing 'here's some Sepultura' - and launching into Orgasmatron.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I guess we all know that John Fogerty wrote Rocking all over the world ...................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    rlw said:
    I guess we all know that John Fogerty wrote Rocking all over the world ...................
    Yes... Thanks for that, Mr Fogerty. 
    Personally I don’t like it. I don’t like it. I don’t la la la like it. But there you go!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    AlexC said:
    rlw said:
    Yes... Thanks for that, Mr Fogerty. 
    Personally I don’t like it. I don’t like it. I don’t la la la like it. But there you are and there you are and there you go!
    Edited for accuracy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    We used to do a version of Bryan Ferry's "Let's Stick Together" which I had always assumed was a sort of cover of Canned Heat's "Let's Work Together" with different lyrics. 

I've recently discovered that they are both covers of originals by Wilbert Harrison, the original "Let's Stick Together" is remarkably similar to Ferry's - it's terrific in fact.

Harrison redid the song in the 70's as "Let's work Together" and that was the song covered by Canned Heat. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    aord43 said:
    The thing that gets me is that there are a whole host of songs credited to "Mark Ronson" where as I understand it, he is the producer not the performer.  How many other record producers manage to get the main credit?  Dunno how he managed to swing that.
    AFAIK, he is often also the songwriter (or one of them) and one of the instrumentalists. That is probably why he gets more credit than some other producers.