Function Band - More Gigs Please and advice on getting more gigs

What's Hot
Hi Guys

I have been playing in function bands for about 10 years and have always been busy. However this year we have been really quiet and i want to change this for 2018.

Firstly my function band "The Supernotes" (based in West Sussex) Are looking to pay some new venues. Is there any good venues near you that are looking for function bands? We want this to be a good way to get to people who are potentially looking for gigs. We are looking for Wedding Fairs, pub gigs etc. SO if you know any good busy pubs or wedding fairs that are worth doing please let me know 

Here is our promo vid

Any help/advice would be good on promoting/marketing and getting more gigs! 

thanks in advanced

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was once told that a promo video should only be about a minute long as most potential gig bookers will decide within that time on a band...and maybe film it at a busy gig because then they see that you can pull punters in. Your video is very good and professional but might be too long. How about paying for a stand at a wedding fair and having business cards done with a link to your video so that couples who go to these fairs can contact you..?and wedding fair season is around now getting readu for summer. And there's nothing better than visiting pubs and clubs you'd like to play and finding out who books bands and asking them direct. :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    if you do get a stand at a wedding fayre, it may be worth having your videos playing on a laptop or tv. Id film some busy gigs, you could even setup a dummy gig, fill a room with family and friends and live record and film it. Do every song you have then edit the video to have a big medley. Like @skaguitar says, a minute or so each. I know its cheating a little but in my opinion, as long as its filmed well, like the video above, sounds good, and the band look professional, then its all good. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Dean

I'm not sure why you want pub gigs, is it just for more exposure to get more wedding / corporate gigs ?

For decent paid function work give Ben at JohnBedford Entertainments a bell, nice bloke and he can get all kinds of  gigs in your area

Also try Nick at Tailored Entertainment, he gets a shed load of work in the South 

Also register on Headliner ..... there is some genuine well paid work on there ... 

@steveb is right .... it's live stuff you need really for a promo, what you got is good and of a professional standard  but it's too cold and clinical .... you want something with the audience going nuts 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • skaguitar said:
    I was once told that a promo video should only be about a minute long as most potential gig bookers will decide within that time on a band...and maybe film it at a busy gig because then they see that you can pull punters in. Your video is very good and professional but might be too long. How about paying for a stand at a wedding fair and having business cards done with a link to your video so that couples who go to these fairs can contact you..?and wedding fair season is around now getting readu for summer. And there's nothing better than visiting pubs and clubs you'd like to play and finding out who books bands and asking them direct. :)

Thanks for all the advice so far.  So a minute long in total for the promo. How many tracks should fit in that time frame?  I guess looking at the big hit plus any unique parts of the set (we put our own stamp on a few)

Wedding Fair.... When you say stool i guess you the whole band needs to be there and we perform and in-between we hand out business cards and play the promo vid? Or are you thinking just have the promo on loop and engage conversation with potential clients? 

steveb said:
    if you do get a stand at a wedding fayre, it may be worth having your videos playing on a laptop or tv. Id film some busy gigs, you could even setup a dummy gig, fill a room with family and friends and live record and film it. Do every song you have then edit the video to have a big medley. Like @skaguitar says, a minute or so each. I know its cheating a little but in my opinion, as long as its filmed well, like the video above, sounds good, and the band look professional, then its all good. 

• Thats a great help thank you! I'll get in touch with those people. The pubs gigs are to get more people to see us, potential clients like to see the band live, want to target different areas too:)

Danny1969 said:
    Dean

I'm not sure why you want pub gigs, is it just for more exposure to get more wedding / corporate gigs ?

For decent paid function work give Ben at JohnBedford Entertainments a bell, nice bloke and he can get all kinds of  gigs in your area

Also try Nick at Tailored Entertainment, he gets a shed load of work in the South 

Also register on Headliner ..... there is some genuine well paid work on there ... 

@steveb is right .... it's live stuff you need really for a promo, what you got is good and of a professional standard  but it's too cold and clinical .... you want something with the audience going nuts 

• As above, the video looks great but is too long. 
    Bands get gigs in two ways, word of mouth recommendations and through agents the key to this is hustle and make sure enough people know about you. If I were you I would make a list of all the wedding / event locations you are looking to play and get in touch with them to find out who is the events manager or wedding organiser and make sure they know who you are and what you do and why they should book you. This is what an agent does and takes a lot of time and effort but you can do it yourself if you have the commitment. 

Remember an email is forgotten quicker than a phone call. A phone call is forgotten quicker than a meet in person, and all are forgotten in 3 months
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Through agencies we could have done a lot of gigs, usually in the £300 to £500 category ( although we aren’t a function band)but we haven’t wanted/ been able to do them and they generally want bands that will gig a lot, travel, be flexible. I don’t really like doing weddings, maybe a bit different if we were a function band but they are an odd audience and the expectations are different. If I was trying to do it for a living fair enough but not my idea of a hobby.
    Sorry, two points - agencies will get you gigs and be careful what you wish for ( well, okay, at least be realistic about it). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    A few thoughts, not meant to be mean, pinch of salt and all that

It is very hard from that video to know how well the punters will like the band and get up and dance, I didn't go searching for other videos.

Quite old songs on the video, might appeal to the over 40s group/Sunday night pub fillers, but might not appeal to current wedding organizers (caveat: I didn't watch past johnny be good)

I know that word of mouth was always our biggest seller, that is based on your historical performances, bad gigs are bad for business and you have to update your playlists.

In any business you have to take a critical look at what you are doing and adjust as you go, if you are still doing the same things you did 10 years ago then you need to adjust... unless you are still raking it in.

Does anybody else in the band sing.... for variety of tone.

Good luck.

• skaguitar said:
    I was once told that a promo video should only be about a minute long as most potential gig bookers will decide within that time on a band...and maybe film it at a busy gig because then they see that you can pull punters in. Your video is very good and professional but might be too long. How about paying for a stand at a wedding fair and having business cards done with a link to your video so that couples who go to these fairs can contact you..?and wedding fair season is around now getting readu for summer. And there's nothing better than visiting pubs and clubs you'd like to play and finding out who books bands and asking them direct. :)

Thanks for all the advice so far.  So a minute long in total for the promo. How many tracks should fit in that time frame?  I guess looking at the big hit plus any unique parts of the set (we put our own stamp on a few)

Wedding Fair.... When you say stool i guess you the whole band needs to be there and we perform and in-between we hand out business cards and play the promo vid? Or are you thinking just have the promo on loop and engage conversation with potential clients? 

steveb said:

yes a minute or maybe 2 for the whole promo...4 or 5 of your best songs..little segments of each one...the chorus or most well known part of the songs you choose. The wedding fayre I would go with your promo showing it to potential clients and chatting to them ... not actually trying to play at it.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • This has been a huge help and thanks so much for everyones input! Its nice to hear it from other people who aren't associated with me or the band and have a professional opinion. 

I'm looking at ways to keep cost down but still end up with a good video.

Songs - We play a lot of styles/decades. on that video we had 

Shake it off 
    Signed Sealed Delivered 
    Johnny Be Good
    You got the love 
    Rather Be
    Shut up and dance 

But i suppose looking at that list we have stronger songs now. So need to rethink. Best to get a good range of tunes for different decades or just do the belters! 

Any good video/edit/sound teams out there in the south that you would recommend?Is there any videos that guys have seen that you think are worth learning from with all points from above?

Thanks

Merry Christmas everyone!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Only relevant to the stage where initial contact has been made, but I have a whole gig on video with no cuts at all, which I offer for any potential client to view. I think it ups the conversion rate from enquiries to actually getting the gig, as they know we're going to be able to deliver the goods.
  • new promo edit.....

any better?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The length of that is good, short and snappy.

Your vocalist can certainly sing, but that x-factor-style vocal gymnastics on every song is quite annoying. I'd have preferred the vocal lines a bit more like the originals.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I think you are good, and I quite enjoyed it 

constructive suggestions :  
    - all songs sound and look the same, similar groove; would like to hear some trad pop, some trad oldies, some ballad.  But that might just be me :)
    - support the suggestion of another singer for some songs
    - encourage the other band members to get involved, to front up, to smile and laugh and engage in the gig, develop and use their own personality

Weddings quite often like having an “acoustic set”in the afternoon, I reckon you would sound quite good doing some more mellow stuff.  That generates more money too

good luck 

• NeilMcG said:
    The length of that is good, short and snappy.

Your vocalist can certainly sing, but that x-factor-style vocal gymnastics on every song is quite annoying. I'd have preferred the vocal lines a bit more like the originals.
    your not the first to of said that
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited February 2018
    sev112 said:
    I think you are good, and I quite enjoyed it 

constructive suggestions :  
    - all songs sound and look the same, similar groove; would like to hear some trad pop, some trad oldies, some ballad.  But that might just be me
    - support the suggestion of another singer for some songs
    - encourage the other band members to get involved, to front up, to smile and laugh and engage in the gig, develop and use their own personality

Weddings quite often like having an “acoustic set”in the afternoon, I reckon you would sound quite good doing some more mellow stuff.  That generates more money too

good luck 

thanks for the comments. much appreciated! Will take onboard some good ideas there to think about