Feedback please chaps

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 735
edited December 2017 in Making Music
This is my belated modest tribute to one of my childhood heroes. It just doesn't work without vocals so I decided for the first time to record my own voice and I'd really appreciate you very honest feedback on how it all sounds. Believe me, i can take it :-)

Thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/fnpt/heroes-tribute

____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Nothing there....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    @spark240 can you see it now?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    To be honest it all sounded pretty good to me. To make the vocals a little more Bowie-like perhaps add some sustain and vibrato in places. However, if you decided to front a Roxy Music tribute band you are 90% there ;)
    @Jimbro66 thanks, really appreciate your input

____
  • Good effort. You've got a nice tone to your voice. I'd echo what Jimbro66 says about note length and vibrato and would also point out that it would benefit from the higher register vocals towards the end, although that is difficult unless you have a huge natural vocal range 
  • I think you're unjustly being damned by faint praise. I thought it was great.
    @flying_pie thanks! I really struggle with the high register so decided not to risk it.

@Saddlepunk thanks. That’s really appreciated. I do think that all comments have been fair and to be honest much more positive than I anticipated.
    ____
  • @fnpt you have my sympathy as it's pretty high but it's often worth taking those risks. Edgy high notes can liven up a song 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    The first verse is missing.

Edgy high notes can liven up a song 
    Edgy as in David Evans. ;) For me, Fripp's multi-tracked infinitely sustaining guitar is an essential part of the vibe of the studio recording. In Bowie's touring bands, only Belew got close.

Jimbro66 said:
    To make the vocals a little more Bowie-like perhaps add some sustain and vibrato in places.
    The unique natural room reverberations at Hansa studio are a major element in the sound of the recorded vocal.
    flying_pie said:
    it would benefit from the higher register vocals towards the end
    Impassioned is the adjective that I would apply.

Both the sustained guitar and the lead vocal need to sound as if they are about to explode. 

Be seeing you.
  • It needs the high vocal part. To me that's the key to the original.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Ok, so start with the mix, its a little dull to me, what gear are you using?....the bass is a low rumble, vocal doesnt cut through enough, a few pos and clicks here and there and so on.

But....top marks for actually completing a track and getting it to this stage !...I sure know how time consuming and tricky that can be.

All the right bits are there, I suspect if you send a little more time on the mix it would be a great improvment.

All in all....good show ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    As a huge Bowie fan of 40 years I really enjoyed that. The guitar parts were spot on without just copying the original. All the best cover versions put their own twist in the original imo and I thought that was great.
    Thanks for all the comments, they are really useful. 

I used helix for the bass and guitar tracks and garage band’s own track modeler over a midi track. I find it hard to mix the final track especially the bass track. Need to figure out how to apply eq properly.
    ____
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Talk to the organ grinder rather than us monkeys. Ladeezandgentlemen, Mr. Tony Visconti.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-david-bowie-heroes
    Be seeing you.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I thought it was a great tribute , if that’s really your first attempt at vocals you acquitted yourself very well indeed.

Ive been in bands with lead singers who weren’t as good ! 

Couple of of issues with the mix as has already been pointed out but they can be worked on. 

Out of curiosity which microphone/eq/fx did you use on your vox ? 
    edited January 2018
    sticker said:
    I thought it was a great tribute , if that’s really your first attempt at vocals you acquitted yourself very well indeed.

Ive been in bands with lead singers who weren’t as good ! 

Couple of of issues with the mix as has already been pointed out but they can be worked on. 

Out of curiosity which microphone/eq/fx did you use on your vox ? 
    @sticker Thanks - much appreciated. Vocals were recorded with a Shure SM57 into a Art Tube MO preamp into a vocal patch on Helix LT.
    ____
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    First recorded vocals?? Really? I think they are cracking, and agree you've got a good tone to your voice and I also would like to hear you try and belt it out a bit more.

I'm no singer, but one of things I try to overcome is feeling self conscious about it, and being over analytical about your own tone.

I like the whole track, and Heroes is one of my all time favourite songs, so I hit the play icon with a bit of trepidation, but I enjoyed it.

Agree with comments on the mix - it would benefit with a bit of brightening, as its a little soft overall. Polite is maybe a way to descibe the mix. It could use a bit more punch, maybe in the mid freqs.

All in though, great stuff
    @Snap thanks so much. Mind you, I’ve sang it many times in the shower though! 

I think I’m feeling brave enough to give a go at the composition challenge!
    ____
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    @fnpt
    don't get carried away mate, you know we all have bog all idea really pmsl ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    @fnpt
    don't get carried away mate, you know we all have bog all idea really pmsl ;)

lol
    ____