Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My new car arrived 3 days ago and it's super uncomfortable.... :(

What's Hot

Comments

• it's 100% not the ride, it's the firmness and shape of the side bolsters that dig into my ribs. I went and sat in a load of cars today to make sure i'm not going mad, and the Superb was a LOT comfier, as was one Volvo XC60. Strangely a newer XC60 was much less comfy, and the E class i went in was not comfy at all, which suprised me as I had a 2004 E class that was super comfy. The interior was also like an old man's living room which put me off too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I dislike their unreliable and over complicated tendencies as a manufacturer, but the most comfy car I've sat in recently was a Citroen Cactus courtesy car. Big, wide squishy seats. My Mondeo's seat felt like a wooden board after that...
    About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a Mondeo ST220 and that had the best seats I’ve ever sat in. Lovely leather seats that were just absolutely perfect, and adjustable to the nth degree. 
  • I always found Saab seats to be the best, not much help now of course! Mercs have always been uncomfy IMO. 

Renault seats are surprisingly comfy, which is a shame as the rest of the car is usually pretty average!

• Based on recent experiences, the sports seats in our recently departed Zafira were just too narrow and used to deaden the outside of your legs on long journeys. 

The equivalent in our Kuga (admittedly more of a half sports seats) are so much more comfortable. Drove from Bridgend to Brent Cross and back on the same day last week & not even a back-twinge. 

• rlw said:
    I dislike their unreliable and over complicated tendencies as a manufacturer, but the most comfy car I've sat in recently was a Citroen Cactus courtesy car. Big, wide squishy seats. My Mondeo's seat felt like a wooden board after that...
    ..and which will be the kindest to your back over a drive of several hours?  not the squashy ones I would wager.

Up until 2015, I drove Porsches, all with sports seats, culminating in a GT3 with hard shell seats with a one inch thick cushion.  They were the most comfortable and supportive seats I ever sat in; good for twelve hours at a time.

Now I drive an old Merc - 2003 - with what they call sports seats and its like driving sitting on a sofa. ie. bloody uncomfortable as they are just too soft.
    No such problems with a Citroen - they're not reliable enough to last a drive of several hours...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Fretwired said: 
    Deadman said:
    My BMW MSport is like that. You'll get used to it. Low c of g, hard suspension and big tyres make for a decent drive.
    My BMW has has an option to run in sport mode or eco which has a softer suspension setting.
    My bank account isn't as big as yours  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    Volvo are well known to have great seats and having own one for 2 years I can see why.  I can drive 5 hours across the country in 1 sitting and come out without any discomfort.  
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    rlw said:
    ..and which will be the kindest to your back over a drive of several hours?  not the squashy ones I would wager.

Up until 2015, I drove Porsches, all with sports seats, culminating in a GT3 with hard shell seats with a one inch thick cushion.  They were the most comfortable and supportive seats I ever sat in; good for twelve hours at a time.

Now I drive an old Merc - 2003 - with what they call sports seats and its like driving sitting on a sofa. ie. bloody uncomfortable as they are just too soft.
    No such problems with a Citroen - they're not reliable enough to last a drive of several hours...
    Fair point 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Have you looked into a BMW 3 Series? Similar prices to the A4 and the 2014 model I've driven in had great seats. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Ossyrocks said:
    ok so i decided to look at this as if i had bought a guitar, if it arrived and played like shit after 3 days it would go back, so same thing applies to a car. I spoke to Audi and i'm within the 14 day cooling off period so hopefully i can give it back. they have none of my money yet so nothing to refund.

so now begs the question- what can i get that has very comfy seats ?
    The most comfortable cars I ever drove were my Volvos. I’ve had five, the V70’s with full leather we’re like sitting in an armchair. Every aspect of the seat was controlled electronically, height, tilt, angle of back and lumbar support. It also had three memory recall settings, so when you were happy with it, you could store the settings and so could my wife. If I got in after she had been driving, I just recalled my setting and the seat just moved back to my position in a few seconds. I’ve never had a car since that was more comfortable, even on very long journeys, you got out feeling fine.

I now drive a Skoda Fabia after downsizing to just one car. It’s ok, but I do have a McKenzie roll permanently fixed to the drivers seat.

Rob
    my wife's car is a a 2 year old v70, and it gives me back ache after 25 minutes
    Leather seats, but not the model with memory settings though

AFAIK Each model has different seats (for most brands), and I eventually formed the hypothesis that the pricier seats are usually comfier 
    Once we had a matching pair of Ford Scorpios. I had the top trim level, leather seats with everything adjustable and with memory settings, hers had the manual, velour seats.  Mine was the comfiest car we ever owned, we both agreed, and hers was average at best. So they definitely use very different seat constructions across a model range, not just different fabrics.

I test drove a Volvo s80 once that had lovely seats.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Have you looked into a BMW 3 Series? Similar prices to the A4 and the 2014 model I've driven in had great seats. 
    You could try the grandad seat liner with beads...

Sports-orientated models do tend to have lateral support, which does require you to fit their seat.

I quite like my 320 (I think it's a "Sport" model - they asked me what I wanted when I went to the dealership and I said "4 doors, please - whatcha got?").
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    https://images.esellerpro.com/2347/I/744/42/BlackBeadCushion3.jpg

Taxi Drivers of the 3rd world swear by them...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• It's a sport car - the seat shouldn't be ultra comfy, it's made for support during hard forces, such as hard acceleration, hard braking and sharp cornering. 

Basically, everything you'll never do on British roads.

My brother has an audi a4 and it's wonderful - smooth, nippy, amazing seats and well designed interior. It drinks fuel, mind, although that won't bother you if you've opted for a sport model. 
  • That seat looks to have no lumbar support. 

I've got a backfriend and a cushion to help that.

My Octavia 1.4tsi is brilliant but it's a hard ride... I feel every bump. The focus' ride was a dream, in comparison.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    haha it did cross my mind, the problem isn't the middle bit, it's the sides!

Designed to keep you in place when you're cornering hard at the Nürburgring!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    just did a bit of googling and apparently Skoda Superb and Volvo XC60 are the comfiest cars currently on sale. i need to properly check it out 
    I went with an xc60 this year on a test drive. Very comfy and adequate power. The soft suspension can lead to front wheel twitch if you try sporty driving. That said it' quite quick in a non sporty way and the seats are wide like armchairs. The car itself is wider than average and rear view is OK only. I like the car and it travels well. I'm getting 46mpg all miles driven. Boot is bog but not massive but has no sill to lift over to get that cab in!
  • It's a sport car - the seat shouldn't be ultra comfy, it's made for support during hard forces, such as hard acceleration, hard braking and sharp cornering. 

Basically, everything you'll never do on British roads.

My brother has an audi a4 and it's wonderful - smooth, nippy, amazing seats and well designed interior. It drinks fuel, mind, although that won't bother you if you've opted for a sport model. 
    I wouldn’t call an Audi Sport a sports car, by any stretch.  More of a motorway saloon with sport in the title.  Even the 190 PS version can’t claim hard acceleration.  It should be comfy, even if the suspension is firmer than a non ‘sports’ version.

An Audi RS4, that’s a sports car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Those seats look like my recaro's which are the best seats I've sat in.
  • update:  finance is currently being cancelled and Audi are arranging to pick up the car. so now to sort something else out sharpish!